The Cabin in the Woods (2012) - Page 38 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Horror Movies > Modern Horror

Modern Horror Horror Movies of the 1990's - present.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #371
Mogwai
BANNED

Mogwai is three sheets to the wind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathen View Post
I don't understand why the Old Ones, the giants in Middle Earth, are always Caucasian. This movie is racist. And how were those white giants so easily appeased when they didn't have giant furniture?
The Cabin in the Woods carries with it a virulent torrent of racism, I mean just look at it, it's set in the woods, the woods go very dark at night so it's flagrantly mixing dark with evil. The cabin is made from brown logs, suggesting that anyone from the Indian sub continent is inherently wicked and the zombies are dirt coloured, the only 'good' people in the film are the control room operators who are all white except for the disposable black man who keeps dog for them. The very fact that he has second thoughts is in itself bigoted as is his own impending doom and so it proves. Not only was The Cabin in the woods insufferably pretentious and galling it was, in fact, utterly rasseeest.

Thanks for pointing this glaring fact out Heathen.

I hate it even moar now!
Mogwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:08 PM   #372
Heathen
BANNED

Heathen is advising that if you kiss a corpse, you had better be willing to go all the way.

I also think the merman was made to look Asian. It's not right, and I have half a mind to say something about it.
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #373
Mogwai
BANNED

I've already lodged an official complaint to my local Hollywood MP. This radical dogmatist Whedon needs to be stopped and now. I'm not having him riding roughshod over us with his white sectarian agenda.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:53 PM   #374
Sykopath
The Last Son

Sykopath is doing nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReturnOfSarsoor View Post
Cabin in the Woods sucked. The end!
A.m.e.n.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareWarrior View Post
people who didn't like the film just didn't understand it. If you are a true fan of horror, you should appreciate it.
If you're a true fan of horror you would find this movie... bad. They were just trying to make a quick buck off a lousy story. What. the. fuck was Joss thinking?
Sykopath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #375
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

The Revelator is tired

Send a message via AIM to The Revelator Send a message via MSN to The Revelator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post
A.m.e.n.

If you're a true fan of horror you would find this movie... bad. They were just trying to make a quick buck off a lousy story. What. the. fuck was Joss thinking?
Clearly most people disagree.

Also, would you please define "true" horror fan? I didn't realize I had to fill out a check list before I unlock this sacred achievement.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #376
Mogwai
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Revelator View Post

Also, would you please define "true" horror fan? I didn't realize I had to fill out a check list before I unlock this sacred achievement.
Clearly most people disagree?
Is this what pases for an argumentative concensus these days. Tell us what you really think. We're all ears.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #377
Sykopath
The Last Son

Sykopath is doing nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Revelator View Post
True, but coming from a lot of the same people who liked Rubber.

Quote:
Also, would you please define "true" horror fan?
No, because I was quoting someone. However I will define horror; an overwhelming feeling caused by something frightfully shocking, terrifying, or revolting; a shuddering fear.

None of which is associated with The Cabin in the Woods.
Sykopath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #378
Mogwai
BANNED

Or you could attempt a sentence of your own. Cumon - you can do it...
Old 11-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #379
NightmareWarrior
Rotting Corpse

NightmareWarrior has no status.

Okay can we not be dissing Wheldon, the man is a genius and is a future legend in horror along with Hatchet mastermind Adam Green.

I'll explain it for people are didn't get it once again. Cabin is a smart horror film and I like that.

The Cabin In The Woods is a meta-filmish and a satire for the horror genre alot like Scream. While Scream makes fun of all the cliches, CITW bunches every horror cliche together.

In Cabin in the woods, the two people in the white shirts at the controls very much work as analogs for the filmmakers, even working as mouthpieces for Whedon and Goddard themselves.

They are expected to perform a service, to set up the same rote scenarios, manipulate the people into expected roles so that certain expectations will be met. Its not just enough that these people be killed, they need to be "punished". There needs to be sex, because as one man says to the other "We're not the only one's watching." While that line certainly applies to other people at the company who wait with bated breath for nudity, the line is more referring to the elder gods downstairs. The elder gods for whom these people are turned into archetypes, led to perform certain actions and the brutally killed off one by one, are the audience, both within the film and on a less literal comentary level are the audience as in us. Additionally, as much as the people at the controls want something different (Merman!) they find themselves limited to the same old thing (Zombie Redneck torture family!).

The Cabin In The Woods is a statement about horror. From the talk about how the Japanese have been doing it better than we have lately to the idea that the people watching are cheering on the deaths of characters who merely exist as stereotypes waiting to die. From the script writers placing these characters in cliche situations all the way to the movie's ending literally destroying all Horror movies and flat out saying "Now, someone take a shot at something new!!!" It's an examination and critique of Horror, and a call for more depth, better characterization, new ideas. It's also a critique of Horror fandom, as it slams us for demanding gratuitous nudity and becoming desensitized to the point of cheering when people are tortured and killed. These cliche ridden horror films are being made for a reason...the gods (us, and our money) demand them. It's time that we start to demand more, and thus the world of Horror is destroyed.

At the end of the film, when the world ends, it isn't our world, it isn't "Earth". It means the movie was not a success, the character's world ends because the audience (The Gods) didn't enjoy the movie, they wanted the cliched horror movie. It means it was a bomb and there'll be no sequel. The audience wasn't satisfied with the end of the horror film, we crave for the correct orders these stereotypes die and when that doesn't happen, we the audience get angry. The whore must die first followed by the athlete, the scholar, the fool and the virgin must be the last one alive to ether die or defeat the evil that these characters bring upon themselves. The fool (Marty) was still alive and we the audience wanted the "virgin" Dana to be the only survivor and that didn't happen.
NightmareWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #380
ClonedBeef
Fresh Kill

ClonedBeef is off to see the wizard

The yuck-yuck comedy tone didn't do it for me but it was okay. The monster mash at the end pulled out all the stops.