Repulsion (1965) - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Horror Movies > Classic Horror

Classic Horror From earliest Horror Classics - 1950's.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:02 PM   #1
Frankenclown
Fresh Kill

Frankenclown is deep within your cerebellum

Default Repulsion (1965)

Repulsion is the story of a sexually repressed young woman's (played by Catherine Deneuve) descent into murderous madness.

Okay, so I just finished watching this Roman Polanski flick and wanted to comment on it. As a psychological thiller this film is really quite weak, depending more on unusual camera shots and weird images than actual scares. Deneuve seems to be adept at looking and acting really spaced out but not much else. While her break from reality is portrayed in a couple of interesting ways (her visions of walls cracking, her rape fantasies(sp), the arms coming out of the walls) there's just not enough of it to make the entire film interesting. In light of how amazing Rosemary's Baby is, it's really quite depressing that this Polanski effort is so firmly entrenched in the land of boring cinema.

2/10
Frankenclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:07 PM   #2
Caustic Coffee
Abuser of Power

Caustic Coffee is the I in team.

I can't believe there wasn't a thread for this already.

I haven't seen this in awhile, but it's near the top of my queue for a rewatch. For now, I will just say I completely disagree.

The modern day horror fan that is interested in constant twists and turns, won't like this movie. But, this is a classic in my eyes.
Caustic Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:44 PM   #3
mmhersh
Fresh Kill

mmhersh has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caustic_coffee View Post
I can't believe there wasn't a thread for this already.

I haven't seen this in awhile, but it's near the top of my queue for a rewatch. For now, I will just say I completely disagree.

The modern day horror fan that is interested in constant twists and turns, won't like this movie. But, this is a classic in my eyes.
Completely agree. I love this movie for its style and eerie atmosphere. I couldn't disagree more with the first poster's opinion. He's basing his review using a modern horror mentality. This movie is a piece of art.

http://www.noroominhell.com
mmhersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:56 PM   #4
dead breed
Super Moderator

dead breed is fire walk with me.

Hawt/fun flick .. I love this type of movie.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:09 PM   #5
Frankenclown
Fresh Kill

Frankenclown is deep within your cerebellum

I agree that most younger (modern) horror fans are more concerned with slick storylines and fx than a good, well told story and that it takes away from their ability to truely enjoy horror films that don't contain those elements, esp. classic horror films. A good example of this is the legion of younger fans that latch onto these modern remakes and proclaim them to be better than the original (the Black Christmas remake for example). Now, the problem with saying that my review of Repulsion is in line with this mentality is:

1.I happen to be 32 years old which takes me well out of the younger (modern) horror fan category(sp)
2.The bulk of my horror collection is from the 70's/early 80's, not modern horror.
3.I have a very healthy respect for good horror from any era.

Now, with that said let me get back on topic. Repulsion does have some good moments to it, but as I said before, there aren't enough of these moments to make the entire film interesting. The movie also moves at an almost unbearably slow pace. Also, when I compare Repulsion to Polanski's other horror film from that era [Rosemary's Baby, 1968] it's weaknesses become even more amplified (maybe I'm somewhat biased, seeing as how I have mucho love for both the film version and Ira Levin's novel). Keep in mind that my review of Repulsion is simply my opinion and nothing more .
Frankenclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:40 AM   #6
klownz666
Fresh Kill

klownz666 is Just klowning around!

I think am the only horror fan who still hasn't seen this ... its been on my must check out list for fooking years now!
Old 02-08-2013, 11:11 PM   #7
neo_wolf
Fresh Kill

neo_wolf has no status.

Didn't like it much.
neo_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:49 AM   #8
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

The Revelator has no status.

Send a message via AIM to The Revelator Send a message via MSN to The Revelator

Easily one of Polanski's best films.

You're thrown right into Carol's world with very little context. How long has she been going insane? Has it been days, weeks, or years? All the audience gets to see is that she lives with her sister whose relationship (probably not the first she's ever had) is vapid and based around sex (which Carol is forced to listen to night after night). Despite being quite gorgeous herself, she has never seemed to be able to settle into a relationship. Maybe she hates men, or maybe she's just so shy that she can't stand being around anybody she isn't comfortable with. In any case, Carol is losing it and when she is left alone for an extended period of time, she begins to crack (literally, in a fun way). In no way is this movie boring, you just have to look for all of the right details. Stunning performances, gripping suspense, incredible visuals, and minimalistic storytelling. A masterpiece.

10/10

I recommend the Criterion Collection blu-ray.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #9
floyd2006
The Living Dead

floyd2006 is In The Twilight Zone

I need to rewatch to completely give a better review of the film, but after the first viewing it was a total letdown.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:48 PM   #10
Lasetta
Fresh Kill

Lasetta has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Revelator View Post
Easily one of Polanski's best films.

You're thrown right into Carol's world with very little context. How long has she been going insane? Has it been days, weeks, or years? All the audience gets to see is that she lives with her sister whose relationship (probably not the first she's ever had) is vapid and based around sex (which Carol is forced to listen to night after night). Despite being quite gorgeous herself, she has never seemed to be able to settle into a relationship. Maybe she hates men, or maybe she's just so shy that she can't stand being around anybody she isn't comfortable with. In any case, Carol is losing it and when she is left alone for an extended period of time, she begins to crack (literally, in a fun way). In no way is this movie boring, you just have to look for all of the right details. Stunning performances, gripping suspense, incredible visuals, and minimalistic storytelling. A masterpiece.

10/10

I recommend the Criterion Collection blu-ray.
Great review I love this film, I love it just as much as Rosemary's Baby. Catherine Deneuve's performance is extraordinary.