I Stand Alone/Seul Contre Tous (1999) - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Horror Movies > Foreign Horror

Foreign Horror Discussion for horror films from non US markets

Old 05-05-2009, 09:10 PM   #1
Behemoth24
Not Dead Yet

Behemoth24 has no status.

Send a message via AIM to Behemoth24
Default I Stand Alone/Seul Contre Tous (1999)

"Philippe Nahon stars as an unnamed butcher teetering on the edge of hopelessness in this French drama directed by Gaspar Noe. Just released from prison, the butcher struggles to find employment but is met with one closed door after another. Angry and frustrated, he lashes out at those around him with horrific force, aching to be heard. Please note that some scenes in this film are highly graphic and sexual in nature."

I just added this movie to my Netflix account. I was just wondering if anybody has seen this and if it is any good.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:36 PM   #2
stewietantrum
It... Won't... Die...

stewietantrum is gone

I haven't seen it yet, but I've heard good things about it. There's apparently some pretty brutal scenes in it... in fact, before one of them the film stops and a disclaimer pops up warning the audience of the brutality to come. Definitely a film I'd like to see eventually.
stewietantrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:42 AM   #3
vencha
Not Dead Yet

vencha has no status.

I loved this movie. It isn't horror at all, other than that horrorible acts occur, and the warning screen just came across as more of a gimmick than anything else. The horrible stuff doesn't happen onscreen as much as you would think (for those who have seen Irreversible, in my opinion the even better film that followed I Stand Alone and losely ties into it) and the worst sections are implied.

That being said it is a very unconventional movie (as you can expect from Gaspar Noe) and almost all of the dialogue takes place in The Butcher's head. The man is an ignorant, racist, misogynistic product of the time and place in which he lives and has hit rock bottom. Definitely worth watching even though some may not enjoy it. Don't go in expecting any sort of horror movie though and you could love it.

Last edited by vencha; 05-06-2009 at 10:45 AM.
vencha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:43 AM   #4
vencha
Not Dead Yet

vencha has no status.

And just to reiterate, you should all watch Irreversible after seeing this film if you haven't. A total mindfuck that actually has heart and emotion in it as well, despite not seeming that way at first.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:55 AM   #5
alanray
BANNED

alanray has no status.

I liked it too, though not as much as IRREVERSIBLE. More brutal character study than horror, but the ending is certainly horrifying in its implications. I'm glad to see these films being discussed on BD...
alanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:07 PM   #6
vencha
Not Dead Yet

vencha has no status.

Anyone seen Carne? I still haven't watched this short film yet, but I did see it a while ago on ebay with english subs and everything. Should have bought it.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:28 PM   #7
Cabbie
Not Dead Yet

Cabbie has no status.

Gaspar Noe has a film being released this year (in Europe anyway) called Enter the Void. It's going to be shown at Cannes Film Festival this week or next week. Here's the synopsis I found:

Oscar and sister Linda now live in Tokyo. Oscar survives by doing small drug deals while Linda is a stripper in a nightclub. One night during a police raid, Oscar is hit by a bullet. While dying, his spirit, faithful to the promise made to his sister to never give up, refuses to leave the world of the living. Then his mind wanders in the city and his visions become increasingly chaotic and nightmarish. Past, present and future will mix in a hallucinatory maelstrom.
Cabbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:06 AM   #8
Wonderlust
Fairies Wear Boots

Wonderlust is spreading the sickness..

This film is brilliant. It fucked with my mind though. It had me thinking that what the butcher was doing was okay..wtf
Old 10-28-2010, 07:47 PM   #9
Blastalot
BANNED

Blastalot is eating your soul

Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands, Stockholm, Sweden soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderlust View Post
This film is brilliant. It fucked with my mind though. It had me thinking that what the butcher was doing was okay..wtf
I wonder how many people here realized it's a prequel to 'Irréversible'.
Blastalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:12 PM   #10
CyaNidexLandMine
Not Dead Yet

CyaNidexLandMine is feeding on your brains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastalot View Post
I wonder how many people here realized it's a prequel to 'Irréversible'.
Its not exactly a prequel, the butcher's story is just concluded in the beginning of Irreversible
I Stand Alone is great tho. Enter the Void is fascinating
CyaNidexLandMine is offline   Reply With Quote