Maniac (1980) - Page 3 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Horror Movies > Golden Age

Golden Age Horror movies from the 1960's - 1980's.

Old 11-26-2005, 08:21 PM   #21
CJ_01976
It... Won't... Die...

CJ_01976 is gone

Send a message via MSN to CJ_01976

The only good thing about this film was Joe Spinell. Without him there is no movie. The story was weak, the direction was stiff, and the acting was at times very bad, but it was Joe that made it watchable. And those "effects' were cheesy.
CJ_01976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 11:25 AM   #22
Count Dragula
I Eat Brains!

Count Dragula has no status.

Send a message via AIM to Count Dragula Send a message via MSN to Count Dragula

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_01976
And those "effects' were cheesy.
Your fucking kidding me, they were amazing.. the head explosion ranks with the best right under scanners..

As for the story, it's your typical 80's slasher movie.. the story was par for the course.. and stiff direction nah.. it's directed with more of a clinical feel. Which only makes it more disturbing and adds to the film ten fold.

Last edited by Count Dragula; 11-28-2005 at 12:25 PM.
Count Dragula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 02:43 PM   #23
cluntdike
Not Dead Yet

cluntdike has no status.

Send a message via AIM to cluntdike

damn dragula i gotta love that "the brood" avatar its so fucking sick!
cluntdike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 12:50 PM   #24
Jaysif1
Not Dead Yet

Jaysif1 has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookshow
Holy fuck was this movie BRUTAL! I've never see such good gore in a film before. Savini should have won an academy award for his work. The film had everything I like... violence, gore, tits, and brutality.

I rank this one a 5/5 and I'm considering getting the dvd. It was funny seeing Gazzo from Rocky in a lead role. He fit it perfectly.
I have to agree with this. I watched it for the first time about 2 months ago. Loved it. Had a disturbing storyline to it. It is now my second favorite horror film behind the original TCM.

http://jaysif.proboards23.com/index.cgi
Jaysif1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 01:08 PM   #25
outlaw_sinema
Fresh Kill

outlaw_sinema has no status.

Send a message via AIM to outlaw_sinema

I thought it was ok. Id give it 3/5. I tohught that the story wasnt too original, but what is anymore?
outlaw_sinema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 03:48 PM   #26
Count Dragula
I Eat Brains!

Count Dragula has no status.

Send a message via AIM to Count Dragula Send a message via MSN to Count Dragula

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw_sinema
I tohught that the story wasnt too original, but what is anymore?
Well it was made like 25 years ago.. You make it sound as if it just came out last year, and made you yearn for the movies of your youth. All of what, four years ago?
Old 12-01-2005, 09:16 AM   #27
SlasherIndex
Not Dead Yet

SlasherIndex has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw_sinema
I thought it was ok. Id give it 3/5. I tohught that the story wasnt too original, but what is anymore?
wasn't too original? what movie was like it at the time? Most slasher films werent first person POV with that of the killer. Here, Frank Zito is the main charecter. He's emotional, disturbed and unsettling... what William Lustig does is brings us directly into that disturbed world. He killed his victims to combat the abuse he had a child, and scalped them to place their hair and clothing on manniquins... how the hell is that not original?? haha I absolutely love this movie... its a gem of its own that wasnt scorned by unessesary sequels... its a diamond in the rough when compared to the generic formula of slasher films in the 80's decade.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:40 PM   #28
Dial M for Mike
Fresh Kill

Dial M for Mike has no status.

Default I saw MANIAC about a week ago (SPOILERS)

and I didn't like it. There were a few cool scenes--the scene where the killer shoots the guy through the windshield was good--but overall I'd personally give it a 3 or 4 out of 10. The acting sucked; the storyline sucked; the score sucked; and all of those shots with the killer in his roomful of mannequins and talking to himself (or "Mommy") got old fast. The ending was totally illogical. The cops walk in, take a cursory look, and walk out; then the killer opens his eyes...?

Sorry. This one did nothing for me, personally.
Dial M for Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 08:47 PM   #29
Savieri
I Eat Brains!

Savieri has no status.

Send a message via AIM to Savieri Send a message via MSN to Savieri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilti De-walt
Alright , like I said b4 we all have opinions while I dont see a difference between the 2 I could understand your point and it does make sense.
he is right, you have movies that focus on how many people the person can kill in an hour and a half (ie, slasher) and you have a movie that focuses on the killer more and their motivation behind the killings, they kill less but you know why they kill (ie, serial killer films). I see the difference perfectly.

I also see why people wonder what this fits into. I would personally put it in a serial killer catagory, sure he kills a lot of women but its not mindless killing, the movie focuses on his thoughts, his drives, and his desire to stop as he does know its wrong. The ending also displays exactly how fragile his mind is, something you dont find in a slasher film.

Its not a fantastic film, but it is a film every horror/slasher fan should see. Its dirty, and its the killers intentions that makes it dirty but that also gives it more substance than your everyday slasher. Its well done, I recommend it.

Sav's My Space
Savieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 02:13 PM   #30
cKy1711
Rotting Corpse

cKy1711 has no status.

Send a message via MSN to cKy1711

I've wanted to see this for a while and i bought it a few days back, still havent watched it though. I find it kind of funny that i buy it and then find a thread on it.

cKy1711 is offline   Reply With Quote