What's the latest Blu Ray you've picked up? - Page 659 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > General Talk > Blu-Ray/DVD Releases and Reviews

Blu-Ray/DVD Releases and Reviews Discussion of current and upcoming DVD releases, technical specifications only. Film discussion itself to be kept to their respective sections.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:30 PM   #6581
HorrorMovieFan
I Eat Brains!

HorrorMovieFan has no status.

The Impossible
Old 04-24-2013, 04:28 AM   #6582
Boilersuit_Mayhem
Rotting Corpse

Boilersuit_Mayhem is lying on the floor, seemingly dead...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight-Kroovy View Post
Used my 35 voucher to get these;
I've only seen The Beyond before so I look forward to the rest. I've been criminally behind on Argento (only seen Suspiria & Tenebrae + pelts).
Hopefully you got the corrected disc of Arrow's 'The Beyond'. The initial release had the opening scene in monochrome instead of sepia (or something similar), if I'm remembering right?

'Deep Red': Arrow's BD is slightly buggered, it's got a momentary video glitch around 45 minutes in. So, if you see such a glitch, it's the disc at fault, not your player. I've no idea if Arrow ever reissued a corrected 'Deep Red', though. I opted out of buying the BD because of the glitch. Yeah, I'm that fussy. It's a movie I'd love on BD, but I doubt I'd ever go for the Blue Underground one simply for the peculiar love that America has for yellow subtitles. Whoever came up with that choice needs to be hunted down and shot with yellow paint-balls. In the balls.

'Phenomena' - Monkey helper! I love this film!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate High View Post
Then it's even more of a shame you'll have to experience them through Arrow's shoddy transfers. Hands-down, one of the worst 'premiere' Hi-Def distributors doing it today. Consumers really need to stop supporting them so heavily.
I'd say that my main gripe with Arrow (besides the often-times shitty artwork) is that the person who's in charge of tweaking the images on some of their releases doesn't seem to know what the contrast button is for. Instead of blacks, you're confronted with greys (cf. 'Lady Snowblood'). The images themselves are generally fine, but I'd like dark scenes to be, y'know, dark.

Quote:
And to be honest, despite the strange yellow/olive tinge, Deep Red is legitimately one of their better efforts as it doesn't sport(until the end that is) one of their more obnoxious trademarks: unnecessary lightening of the picture at hand IE: the 'soap opera' effect.
Hmm, I'd hardly call a slight difference in brightness "shoddy" treatment. I suppose it's hard to tell just by looking at a few screencaps on DVDBeaver and the like. Those last two images are from 'House by the Cemetery', aye? I only own it on SD and can't imagine upgrading it. But I agree with the point that Arrow keeps, well, fucking things up one way or another.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:06 AM   #6583
Santa
The Necromancer

Santa is stronger than the foundations of the earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilersuit_Mayhem View Post
I'd say that my main gripe with Arrow (besides the often-times shitty artwork) is that the person who's in charge of tweaking the images on some of their releases doesn't seem to know what the contrast button is for. Instead of blacks, you're confronted with greys (cf. 'Lady Snowblood'). The images themselves are generally fine, but I'd like dark scenes to be, y'know, dark.
Often-times shitty artwork?!
What about this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Doll
I would jizz on you if I were a man. I would jizz on everything if I had a penis for one day. Oh man I bet that feels so good. You guys are so lucky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonia
I like to skip dessert and get right down to relaxing after a meal with a hot bath and a facial.
Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:02 AM   #6584
Midnight-Kroovy
Rotting Corpse

Midnight-Kroovy is feeling groovy

Thanks for the info UltimateHigh and Mayhem, I'll give Blue Underground more consideration in future. I checked My Beyond Blu and it doesn't have the black and white error so that's a relief.

Personally I really like the arrow releases and as a film buff I love the huge amount of extras they offer, makes me feel I have the complete package. I've never been unhappy with any of arrow's releases although they could still elevate their game. PQ does look better on Blue Undergrounds Deep Red though and in an ideal world I'd have the blue underground transfer with the Arrow package.

I look forward to Phenomena and Deep Red though I'm sure the Blu's will give me a good enough experience. .

Oh and yeh, that frankenhooker cover is awesome
Old 04-24-2013, 10:11 AM   #6585
Cebonation04
Demigod

Cebonation04 has no status.

Send a message via AIM to Cebonation04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa Sangre View Post
What about this:

There are two kinds of people in this world: People who like Arrow and people who do not.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #6586
Santa
The Necromancer

Santa is stronger than the foundations of the earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyersisgod View Post
There are two kinds of people in this world: People who like Arrow and people who do not.
Uhm yeah...totally forgot about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Doll
I would jizz on you if I were a man. I would jizz on everything if I had a penis for one day. Oh man I bet that feels so good. You guys are so lucky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonia
I like to skip dessert and get right down to relaxing after a meal with a hot bath and a facial.
Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #6587
Boilersuit_Mayhem
Rotting Corpse

Boilersuit_Mayhem is lying on the floor, seemingly dead...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa Sangre View Post
What about this:
Yes, that's why I said "often-times", meaning "not all the time" because there are notable exceptions to their often-times amateur-looking shit. The main 'Frankenhooker' cover is one such very awesome exception. As are the two 'Knightriders' covers, which sit just a few feet away from me in their shiny, unopened packaging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight-Kroovy View Post
I checked My Beyond Blu and it doesn't have the black and white error so that's a relief.
Good to hear . Hmm, that tempts me to buy the buggering thing now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyersisgod View Post
Kid, I was buying Arrow releases before you even joined the forum...
Old 04-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #6588
Iggy
Heat Fan Numero Uno!

Iggy is setting a course for intercourse!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilersuit_Mayhem View Post
Good to hear . Hmm, that tempts me to buy the buggering thing now...
Most of the copies in circulation have been fixed. Although when I ordered mine from Arrow, they immediately sent a replacement disc without me asking.

Also, I think the artwork done by Arrow is killer. I'll even go as far as to say that it's even better than the artwork done by Scream Factory.
Iggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:44 PM   #6589
Cebonation04
Demigod

Cebonation04 has no status.

Send a message via AIM to Cebonation04

Old 04-25-2013, 02:45 AM   #6590
yoxodo
Send... More... Paramedics

yoxodo is not going to wash his hands because hes EVIL

yoxodo is offline   Reply With Quote