A Tale of Two Sisters - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Horror Movies > Foreign Horror

Foreign Horror Discussion for horror films from non US markets

Old 11-16-2005, 08:44 AM   #1
kiddcapone
BANNED

kiddcapone has no status.

Default A Tale of Two Sisters

Once again I got duped into buying something because of the universal praise I've seen on this board and a few others. Asian films are so grossly overrated it's not even funny. For every 1 Asian film I throughly enjoy, there's 10 of these that I never EVER want to watch again. The superfans always cry that Asian films are so different from American films that they stand out and are unique. Ummmm, really? Are they really unique? Everyone seems to have a girl with long hair covering her face crawling or walking funky. Ringu, Dark Water, Tale of 2 Sisters, The Grudge, etc. The 1st time or two you see a crawling head of hair it's creepy, when it's in every goddamn film it loses it's impact. It's like watching the same recycled character put in a new film with a slightly different plot.

I stumbled across this the other day at Wal-mart for 7.99 so I figured what the hell. Plus it said UNCUT so I figured this was the best version available. Uncut? What the fuck was cut out? The movie has next to nothing for gore. The story was boring and once again turns into a story about a delusional insane person. *Yawn* Oh yeah, I forgot, it's Asian, it's 100% original and better than anything from the states...

I'd love to hear from fans of this flick. Let's hear what you thought everything meant and why you love this "masterpiece". What makes this different from other Asian ghost/dead film? :confused:
kiddcapone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 09:02 AM   #2
Sykopaf
I Eat Brains!

Sykopaf has no status.

I recommend you watch it again, a little closer this time.

It's not just about an insane person, there's a ghost in the story and more than one character that may or may not really be there. It's many stories happening at the same time, but so subtley and masterfully made that to someone expecting a gore fest it might look like just another asain ghost flick.

The chick with the long hair was only in one scene, and was there as a crucial part of the story, not just as an evil entity designed to scare the audience.

Seriously, watch it again and you may notice a lot more going on than you first realised.

MySpace
Sykopaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 09:12 AM   #3
SCREAMIDGE
I Eat Brains!

SCREAMIDGE is is watching Sons of Anarchy

man i love this film i always remember the bed scene very creepy but the whole film is a masterpiece its my second favourite asian movie behind OLDBOY
Old 11-16-2005, 09:56 AM   #4
fulci lives!
Not Dead Yet

fulci lives! has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddcapone
What makes this different from other Asian ghost/dead film? :confused:
Where to begin...?

For starters, although it has your typical Japanese ghost elements, 'A Tale of Two Sisters' is more of a combination of genres: Psychological Thriller, Mystery, Drama and some Ghosty Horror for added spice.

If you want to really get down to brass tacks about what makes this film shine so brightly, it's the fact that it combines all these various film elements so seemlessly into one perfectly-blended, composed tale [warning: impending cliché] that keeps you guessing until the very end.

(And to be fair, most people after this film a couple times, still can't figure what the hell was going on, and not to be an ass, but you seem to be one of these people.)

But what's the point of a well-written and interesting story without good actors to accurately portray the scripts' intent?

Luckily enough, Two Sisters doesn't slouch in this department either.

Yum Jung-ah as the overbearing, bitchy (and slightly insane) stepmother; Lim Su-jeong's surprising maturity for her age that lends protective and mother-like aid to her younger sister and a strong sense of defiance to her psychotic stepmother.

And although the younger sister and father didn't have as much range of emotion with their characters, they both played the roles quite respectively.

As for the gore? Well... if you're a gore freak (which there's nothing wrong with), then yes, you're going to be disappointed.

But if you just took your mind off of the hope of seeing some arterial blood spray for a minute, you may just stop to take the time to appreciate the very mood-specific and contractive set designs which bring out an airy dream-like quality and an almost uneasy feeling of entrapment.

A Tale of Two Sisters is almost a rarity in the film world in the sense that it's truly the better sum if its parts -- the story, acting, and look all mesh together so perfectly, that it almost feels as if this scenario was lived instead of just created (although the film is partly based on a true story, so what I just said is sort of true.)

Cliff Note's Version: The film rocks and you smell.

Author's Note: I don't actually think you smell, I just love this film and think you need to watch it again with a more open and artful mind.
fulci lives! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 09:57 AM   #5
Slasher Freak
It... Won't... Die...

Slasher Freak is BACK?

Location: Livin' on Failure St. Two blocks south of Pathetic My Zipcode? All Zeroes
Exclamation

I rented this masterpiece when it got released in March and I loved it. Im a big fan of those twists even though they are being used too much but as usual I dont want to brag but Im very good on predicting the twists. The scariest scene in the film atleast for me was the one with the ghost in the bedroom. It gaves me serious goosebumps. Damn I have never seen this at Wal Mart not even at that price. Im gonna keep searching around if not i'll just buy it online because this is my #2 fav asian horror film.

If You Can't Find A Friend, Make One
Slasher Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 10:30 AM   #6
N2NOther
BANNED

N2NOther has no status.

Quote:
Plus it said UNCUT so I figured this was the best version available. Uncut? What the fuck was cut out? The movie has next to nothing for gore.
First of all it says "Unrated" not "Uncut" and you should know the difference....Secondly, for someone that says that gore isn't needed to be impressed by a movie you sure sound like the fact that it had no gore was upsetting....Disturbing images can make or break a rating...Some may not like that but it's true...There in lies the main problem with the ratings board...They judge on what may be disturbing for audiences and what age is appropriate...It's ridiculous...But all this "Unrated" means is that it wasn't submitted to the MPAA for a rating before it's release...

Quote:
I'd love to hear from fans of this flick. Let's hear what you thought everything meant and why you love this "masterpiece". What makes this different from other Asian ghost/dead film? :confused:

Some SPOILERS FOLLOW...
For starters, the ghost is secondary to the mental breakdown of Su-Mi...But this isn't clear until we find out she's really delusional...She had a breakdown after Su-Yeon's death and in the beginning of the film, Su-Mi is returning home from a stint at the hospital...Turns out, she's not ready to be home...

The step mom doesn't exist and as a step mom she never existed...She was the woman(nurse) her father had an affair with that drove the mother to commit suicide...Su-Mi hated her so much that she ignored Su-Yeon's pleas for help and is now a wreck with guilt...So she created someone to hate, the step mom...

I think this stands out very well from all the other ghosts movies because the real ghost only makes 2 appearences...(The one in the dream was her mother and just that, a dream)...and the ghost is not the central threat in the movie as it is in Ju-on, Ringu, Dark Water and so on...

As for why I think it's a masterpiece?...The atmosphere, the cinematography, the acting, the great way the pieces of the story unfold and the fact that you can watch it again and catch things you missed the first time...

In short, I fucking love this movie...
N2NOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:07 PM   #7
blackdream71
Fresh Kill

blackdream71 has no status.

Quote:
Once again I got duped into buying something because of the universal praise I've seen on this board and a few others. Asian films are so grossly overrated it's not even funny. For every 1 Asian film I throughly enjoy, there's 10 of these that I never EVER want to watch again. The superfans always cry that Asian films are so different from American films that they stand out and are unique. Ummmm, really? Are they really unique? Everyone seems to have a girl with long hair covering her face crawling or walking funky. Ringu, Dark Water, Tale of 2 Sisters, The Grudge, etc. The 1st time or two you see a crawling head of hair it's creepy, when it's in every goddamn film it loses it's impact. It's like watching the same recycled character put in a new film with a slightly different plot.

I stumbled across this the other day at Wal-mart for 7.99 so I figured what the hell. Plus it said UNCUT so I figured this was the best version available. Uncut? What the fuck was cut out? The movie has next to nothing for gore. The story was boring and once again turns into a story about a delusional insane person. *Yawn* Oh yeah, I forgot, it's Asian, it's 100% original and better than anything from the states...

i feel the same way as you, when i first saw this film it left me saying wtf? but i'm going to watch it again and see if my opinion changes, stay tuned
blackdream71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:14 PM   #8
Sea Hag
It... Won't... Die...

Sea Hag has no status.

Send a message via AIM to Sea Hag

Spoilers
Quote:
I think this stands out very well from all the other ghosts movies because the real ghost only makes 2 appearences...(The one in the dream was her mother and just that, a dream)...and the ghost is not the central threat in the movie as it is in Ju-on, Ringu, Dark Water and so on...
Spoilers
I got the impression that Su Yeon was an actual ghost and not just a figment of Su Mi's imagination. Are you just referring to the fact that the mother is the only menacing apparition?

DVDs

Recent Flicks
Captain America: The Winter Soldier - 9/10
Thunderbolt And Lightfoot - 7.5/10
Assault On Precinct 13 (76) - 9/10
The Avengers - 8.5/10
L.A. Confidential - 8.5/10
Sea Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:35 PM   #9
Heretic
It... Won't... Die...

Heretic is up to shenanigans

I've seen this only once, and I'm inclined to agree with Kidd. I was hoping for just a straight story, with no 'ghost' crap. Needless to say, I didn't get my wish. At least make the ghosts look a little different, sheesh.

Not to say I think it is a terrible movie or anything, but I think it could have been a lot more effective, without all the supernatural elements in it. 7/10.

Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 01:10 PM   #10
Sykopaf
I Eat Brains!

Sykopaf has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Hag
Spoilers

Spoilers
I got the impression that Su Yeon was an actual ghost and not just a figment of Su Mi's imagination. Are you just referring to the fact that the mother is the only menacing apparition?
Spoilers
Su Yeon was both, a ghost and a delusion. Most of the time when you see her she's a delusion but remember the girl under the sink (or fridge, haven't watched it in a while), that's her ghost. She also takes care of the nurse/stepmom at the end.

MySpace
Sykopaf is offline   Reply With Quote