The Writer's Thread. - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > General Talk > Books, Magazines, Literature, etc..

Books, Magazines, Literature, etc.. Some of us really do know how to read!

Old 09-30-2008, 09:40 AM   #1
I am a HORROR movie!!!
The Living Dead

I am a HORROR movie!!! is brooding...

Send a message via MSN to I am a HORROR movie!!!
Default The Writer's Thread.

Here you can post extracts from your new screenplays, novels, teleplays or something you just jotted down. Also, feel free to ask questions or for some advice on furthering your career/interests as a writer.

I suppose I'll kick start it by asking a question:

I recently emailed the Lisa Richards Agency in Dublin, Ireland, about representation for my Screenwriting, but I've no idea what to expect from the company itself. Should I have my entire screenplay ready, or just key chapters, or just an early draft? If anyone has dealt with a Writer's Agency before, this would be great help.

Recent Watches:
A Nightmare On Elm Street '10 - 2/5
Monster - 5/5
It - 3/5
Bowling For Columbine - 4/5
X-Men: Days of Future Past - 3.5/5
I am a HORROR movie!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:48 AM   #2
MikeBonomo
It... Won't... Die...

MikeBonomo is stuck in production hell...

Send a message via AIM to MikeBonomo

Hey man. I just signed up here. It's great.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/legacy/index.php

Wow...how much did that sound like spam?

Anyway, they do background checks on agencies, publishers and all sorts of stuff, and they go over the proper procedures of getting your stuff out. It's really helpful. Think of it as a BD for writing.

They also have some really cool writing challenges each week to help with your writing and hopefully to remove any writer's block.

I have 3 scripts I'm editing and two that I'm writing on top of a novel and several shorts.

Check out my NEW official website HERE.
MikeBonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:49 AM   #3
MikeBonomo
It... Won't... Die...

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a HORROR movie!!! View Post
Here you can post extracts from your new screenplays, novels, teleplays or something you just jotted down. Also, feel free to ask questions or for some advice on furthering your career/interests as a writer.

I recently emailed the Lisa Richards Agency in Dublin, Ireland, about representation for my Screenwriting, but I've no idea what to expect from the company itself. Should I have my entire screenplay ready, or just key chapters, or just an early draft? If anyone has dealt with a Writer's Agency before, this would be great help.
Also, you should have the screenplay as done as possible. You should read up on their website what they want you to send, but it's usually just a query letter and (maybe) an outline or the first 10-20 pages. But, I advise finding out what they want before sending anything.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:51 AM   #4
ArchVile99
Rotting Corpse

ArchVile99 is blogging his fiction at vilereality.wordpress.com

Quote:

You likely won't even get a response, unless the Agency clearly stated they were taking submissions. You usually have to start with a query letter with an outline to the publishing house or agency, and go from there. And yes, the entire thing must be ready. No one in their right fucking mind is going to back you based on excerpts unless you're Stephen King.

It's a tough fucking road. I got signed, got a $5K advance, and flown to Chicago 3 times to meet with editors, only to get cut (fired) 9 months later after the house had a change in "creative direction." Just getting to that point cost me a ton in postage and time and mental anguish.

Here's two places I go for info and such.
http://www.publishamerica.com/index.asp
http://www.aar-online.org/mc/page.do - This is the one that got me hooked up.

Also, isn't there a thread for this? Could be wrong.
to load their guns with songs they haven't sung
ArchVile99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:57 AM   #5
MikeBonomo
It... Won't... Die...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchVile99 View Post
I'm sorry I have to do this to you ArchVile...but...DON'T DO IT. ANYONE.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/legacy/...play.php?f=115

When an entire section of a forum is dedicated to beware of anything it's usually a bad sign. There's thousands of posts and I can find other pages explaining why NO ONE should use ANYTHING Publish America says. I'm trying to save anyone I can here.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:57 AM   #6
I am a HORROR movie!!!
The Living Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBonomo View Post
Hey man. I just signed up here. It's great.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/legacy/index.php

Wow...how much did that sound like spam?

Anyway, they do background checks on agencies, publishers and all sorts of stuff, and they go over the proper procedures of getting your stuff out. It's really helpful. Think of it as a BD for writing.

They also have some really cool writing challenges each week to help with your writing and hopefully to remove any writer's block.

I have 3 scripts I'm editing and two that I'm writing on top of a novel and several shorts.
That's fucking ace. I've 3 shorts & I'm working on my first feature length. I had a short story published in 2005 when I was 16 as part of this Irish celebration crap, and since then I've had 4 reviews published in the newspaper. Personally, I'm very critical of my own work, so I hardly ever read my screenplays more than 3 times after completing them. I'll get onto these guys.

This thread should be pretty interesting, as I know there are a huge amount of writers on this board.

Recent Watches:
Monster - 5/5
It - 3/5
Old 09-30-2008, 09:59 AM   #7
MikeBonomo
It... Won't... Die...

Quote:
That's fucking ace. I've 3 shorts & I'm working on my first feature length. I had a short story published in 2005 when I was 16 as part of this Irish celebration crap, and since then I've had 4 reviews published in the newspaper. Personally, I'm very critical of my own work, so I hardly ever read my screenplays more than 3 times after completing them. I'll get onto these guys.

This thread should be pretty interesting, as I know there are a huge amount of writers on this board.
It's cool cuz they're run by published authors and they bring agents and publishers on to share their insights. I've got three short stories done. Hoping to get up to 1 to 2 a week and send them out each month. Would be great to have a few lit mag pubs before seeking representation for a full length novel.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:00 AM   #8
ArchVile99
Rotting Corpse

ArchVile99 is blogging his fiction at vilereality.wordpress.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBonomo View Post
I'm sorry I have to do this to you ArchVile...but...DON'T DO IT. ANYONE.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/legacy/...play.php?f=115

When an entire section of a forum is dedicated to beware of anything it's usually a bad sign. There's thousands of posts and I can find other pages explaining why NO ONE should use ANYTHING Publish America says. I'm trying to save anyone I can here.
Nah, s'cool. I take that place with a grain of salt, but they have some contact resources if you dig a bit, just to get a feel for what some markets are looking for. I know all about that place and its faults ....probably should have added a disclaimer.
to load their guns with songs they haven't sung
ArchVile99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:01 AM   #9
I am a HORROR movie!!!
The Living Dead

Quote:
You likely won't even get a response, unless the Agency clearly stated they were taking submissions. You usually have to start with a query letter with an outline to the publishing house or agency, and go from there. And yes, the entire thing must be ready.
Damn, man. I fucking hope I get some sort of response. I've been dwelling on getting...let me rephrase that, attempting to get an agent for awhile now, I just don't know if my stuff is good enough. Time will tell I suppose.

I'm going to have a look for some of my old short screenplays and post pieces.

Recent Watches:
Monster - 5/5
It - 3/5
Old 09-30-2008, 10:03 AM   #10
MikeBonomo
It... Won't... Die...

Quote:
Nah, s'cool. I take that place with a grain of salt, but they have some contact resources if you dig a bit, just to get a feel for what some markets are looking for. I know all about that place and its faults ....probably should have added a disclaimer.
No worries. I did a little research as I was going to use them, and almost shit myself. Wow, what a scam.

Quote:
Damn, man. I fucking hope I get some sort of response. I've been dwelling on getting...let me rephrase that, attempting to get an agent for awhile now, I just don't know if my stuff is good enough. Time will tell I suppose.

I'm going to have a look for some of my old short screenplays and post pieces.
Good luck. I'm planning on months of waiting and lots of rejections for everything I do. Get used to doing both.

Why not? Bust them out and give 'em an overhall.

Tags
authors, comedy, horror, indie, werewolves