Nine Inch Nails - Page 2 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > General Talk > Music Discussion

Music Discussion Wow that new Britney Track Rules! Talk about that (and other music stuff) here.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:35 PM   #11
Butters
Fresh Kill

Butters has no status.

I enjoyed the Fragile, and some stuff from Downward Spiral and With_Teeth, but that's it. I remember listening to Pretty Hate Machine and laughing at the lyrics, though.

I also notice there's a flood of "I"'s and "You"'s in his songs, sometimes reminds me of Linkin Park
Butters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 12:10 PM   #12
Lily Phoenix
Rotting Corpse

Lily Phoenix has no status.

Send a message via AIM to Lily Phoenix

Great band. I only recently started listening, it took me a while to get into them.
Lily Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 12:33 PM   #13
zach
The Living Dead

zach is cooler than you.

Send a message via AIM to zach

Everything he's done post- Fragile (save Still) has been absolutely terrible. The first 3 albums and Broken are quality though. I wish he'd get back on a record label so they could tell him what he's been making lately isn't worth releasing and to go back and write better songs.

Recent Movies:
Kick-Ass - 9/10
The Human Centipede - 7/10
Iron Man 2 - 5.5/10
A Nightmare on Elm Street '84 - 8/10
A Nightmare on Elm Street '10 - 3/10

Facebook
last.fm
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 12:42 PM   #14
depecheanix
It... Won't... Die...

depecheanix is fgsdoi dsn dsnfm ods

I dig them a lot and actually like all of the albums for their own reasons. The Fragile is probably my favorite. Ghosts is really cool too.

I feel like they've matured with every album, which I like a lot. I probably would've stopped listening to them if they were still churning out angsty bullshit. I can't stand bands that stick to the 'Grrr angry angry' mentality. Because eventually angst just becomes childish and forced. You can only listen to a spoiled rockstar whine and shout about bullshit for so long.

I don't think With Teeth is as bad as people make out. All the Love in the World is a neat song in particular.

Last edited by depecheanix; 09-13-2008 at 12:44 PM.
depecheanix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 01:16 PM   #15
SaraCakes
The Living Dead

SaraCakes is Giving Bigfoot Aids.

My favorite album is pretty hate machine...

I love trenty.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:36 AM   #16
ArchVile99
Rotting Corpse

ArchVile99 is blogging his fiction at vilereality.wordpress.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by depecheanix View Post
I dig them a lot and actually like all of the albums for their own reasons. The Fragile is probably my favorite. Ghosts is really cool too.

The Fragile
is far and away his best musical offering. I like Ghosts a lot too, makes for awesome background music whilst studying and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by depecheanix View Post
I feel like they've matured with every album, which I like a lot. I probably would've stopped listening to them if they were still churning out angsty bullshit. I can't stand bands that stick to the 'Grrr angry angry' mentality. Because eventually angst just becomes childish and forced. You can only listen to a spoiled rockstar whine and shout about bullshit for so long.
This is exactly the reason I cannot understand the "everything since sucks" mentality. It's nice when a band or artist can expand upon what they have done and release new and different things that are still good. NiN has had its issues for me, however. (mailnly their latest, I'll get to that in a minute) With Teeth is an excellent album. Love is Not Enough, The Line Begins to Blur, Sunspots, Only, etc. are all amazing songs. I cannot for the life of me understand the hate for that record. Year Zero is a solid effort, but the second half becomes very repetitive. It was a cool concept for Trent, with all the hype, the ARG and whatnot, but it tanks after about track 7. The Beginning of the End, Survivalism, Capital G and Me, I'm Not (one of their best ever) are solid highlights, but in the second half of the album, you can actually hear time signatures and structures start to repeat. YZ would have been much better as a lengthy EP IMO.

The Slip, however, is shit. I'm a lifelong NiN fan, I've been listening to them since I was 13, and I've seen them live 9 or 10 times, but unlike many fans like me, I'm not blinded by my love for Trent. The Slip is the sorriest excuse for a musical release I have ever heard by a band I love. Anyone who does not realize it is just a pile of shit that did not make Ghosts or Year Zero is kidding themselves. I love the release style and the statement that it makes, but that record was worth as much as we paid for it, nothing.

Every album is great in its own way. PHM, Broken, TDS, TF, WT, YZ, Ghosts all are amazing, and none of them have any weakness that would prevent me from enjoying them. But as far as I am concerned, The Slip is an embarrassment.
to load their guns with songs they haven't sung
ArchVile99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:39 AM   #17
I am a HORROR movie!!!
The Living Dead

I am a HORROR movie!!! is brooding...

Send a message via MSN to I am a HORROR movie!!!

Love Nine Inch Nails. Trent Reznor is a genius. As others have said, I love all there albums for different reasons. Ruiner, what a song!!

Recent Watches:
The Good, The Bad & The Weird - 8/10
Thirst - 9/10
Couples Retreat - 5/10
Drag Me To Hell - 9/10
The Hills Run Red - 6/10
I am a HORROR movie!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:42 AM   #18
depecheanix
It... Won't... Die...

depecheanix is fgsdoi dsn dsnfm ods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchVile99 View Post
[I] The Slip is an embarrassment.
I don't mind The Slip. It should've been a 4 track EP though really. I like Discipline, Echoplex, Head Down and Lights In the Sky.
depecheanix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:51 AM   #19
Darkened Soul
Fresh Kill

Darkened Soul is back in business!

Send a message via Yahoo to Darkened Soul Send a message via Skype™ to Darkened Soul

In my own opinion Trent Reznor is by far one of the most talented men in the music industry today. And Downward Spiral was probably my favorite album by NIN.

"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeon's even death may die."
Darkened Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 08:02 AM   #20
Galvatron
Fresh Kill

Galvatron has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraCakes View Post
My favorite album is pretty hate machine...

I love trenty.
Have you heard the version of Something I Can Never Have, which came out on the "Still" album? I really liked the original version, but I found the version on Still to be more powerful.