Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003) - Page 20 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Franchise Horror

Franchise Horror Come here to talk about all the big names in horror with 3+ films in the series. Halloween, Friday the 13th, A Nightmare on Elm Street, etc...

Old 03-07-2013, 07:01 PM   #191
Heretic
It... Won't... Die...

Heretic is up to shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myerszilla View Post
What do you think about part two in comparison to the remake?
THHE sequel to the remake?

One of the worst films I've ever seen

Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:08 PM   #192
travisbickle
I Eat Brains!

travisbickle is warning you, I'll put a knife right in you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
What? It's a boring, scholcky movie, that's really only known for having an actual deformed man in it. If Micheal Berryman isn't in that movie, nobody would remember it.

It's fucking terrible. The remake destroys it, in every way imaginable.

I like the remake, but it's got nothing on the original. The original has that great 70's grimy/realistic feel (much like the original TCM) that the slicker remake just can't replicate. Not to mention, IT"S THE SAME FUCKING MOVIE! The basic idea, anyways...Family gets stranded out in the middle of the desert and get's picked off one by one. They added a few new touches, but nothing major. They just amped up the gore and added a few new set pieces. That doesn't equal better to me.

2014 AGD Picks
1.The King Of Comedy
2.Sid & Nancy
3.At Close Range
4.The Believer
5.Pusher
6.Martha Marcy May Marlene
7.Excision
8.The Good, The Bad, The Weird
9.Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
To Live And Die In L.A.

My DVD's/Blu's
travisbickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #193
Shoggoth
The Living Dead

Shoggoth is in a land of confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post

I like the remake, but it's got nothing on the original. The original has that great 70's grimy/realistic feel (much like the original TCM) that the slicker remake just can't replicate. Not to mention, IT"S THE SAME FUCKING MOVIE! The basic idea, anyways...Family gets stranded out in the middle of the desert and get's picked off one by one. They added a few new touches, but nothing major. They just amped up the gore and added a few new set pieces. That doesn't equal better to me.
While it has been years since I have seen either, my memory tells me that I enjoyed the original and thought the remake was meh.

As far as TCM goes, the only real credit I can give it is that it was one of the first modern horror movies I can remember seeing and it helped launch my love of the genre, led me to this site, and eventually made me discover older horror and realize how bad the remake actually is. In that respect, it holds a special place in my heart, but it isn't very good.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #194
Heretic
It... Won't... Die...

Heretic is up to shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
Quit abusing Picard. It's lame, and more played out than Gangdum Style.

Quote:
I like the remake, but it's got nothing on the original. The original has that great 70's grimy/realistic feel
I hate that being an excuse for every shit movie made in the 70's. It wasn't intentional. It's a just a cheaply made film. It would have that effect, if the lame special effects, and terrible, high school theatre actors and costumes, weren't taking me out of the moment at every fucking turn.

Quote:
Not to mention, IT"S THE SAME FUCKING MOVIE! The basic idea, anyways...Family gets stranded out in the middle of the desert and get's picked off one by one. They added a few new touches, but nothing major. They just amped up the gore and added a few new set pieces. That doesn't equal better to me.
What about acting? Atmosphere? Storytelling(yes, same premise, but far better executed in the remake)? Characters? Special effects.......

We're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #195
travisbickle
I Eat Brains!

travisbickle is warning you, I'll put a knife right in you!

When it comes to remakes, I'm pretty hard to please. For me to really appreciate one, it must stray pretty far from the source.

The Thing and The Fly come to mind. They keep the basic idea of the originals, but change up pretty much everything else.

2014 AGD Picks
1.The King Of Comedy
2.Sid & Nancy
3.At Close Range
4.The Believer
5.Pusher
6.Martha Marcy May Marlene
7.Excision
8.The Good, The Bad, The Weird
9.Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
To Live And Die In L.A.

My DVD's/Blu's
travisbickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #196
Myerszilla
Rotting Corpse

Myerszilla is eternally internally rotting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
THHE sequel to the remake?

One of the worst films I've ever seen
Haha, figured you'd say something like that, I can understand why, though. It's a pretty big step down from the original, & even though I enjoyed it for what it was, I wasn't a big fan of the whole army background for the main characters. It just seemed tacked on for the sake of it.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:54 PM   #197
The Geek
It... Won't... Die...

The Geek is eating shit and dying!

Send a message via Skype™ to The Geek

I thought the sequel to the HHE remake was disposable fun. Entertaining for 90 minutes but nothing special.

And the original HHE isn't shitty. It's far from great and not one of Craven's best (and definitely not one of his worst) but it's an entertaining 70's horror film. The material is better executed in the remake, though.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #198
Myerszilla
Rotting Corpse

Myerszilla is eternally internally rotting

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek View Post
I thought the sequel to the HHE remake was disposable fun. Entertaining for 90 minutes but nothing special.

And the original HHE isn't shitty. It's far from great and not one of Craven's best (and definitely not one of his worst) but it's an entertaining 70's horror film. The material is better executed in the remake, though.
I can agree with all of this.

And THHE sequel (to the remake) may be disposable fun, but the make-up for the mutants was nothing short of phenomenal. Though that's not a mark against the remake at all.

From the ending of THHE 2, they seem to have set it up for a sequel, but I think it fell below expectations money wise, so I doubt that'll happen.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #199
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

The Revelator has no status.

Send a message via AIM to The Revelator Send a message via MSN to The Revelator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek View Post

Yeah the HHE remake sequel had some awesome death scenes and action but I could take or leave the rest. Absolutely none of the actors actually look convincing as US military personal Its kind of hilarious actually.

The last 20 or 30 minutes is pretty action packed. Its grown on me, but the original HHE and the remake are the best. The original HHE Part 2 is pretty.... terrible. Dog flashback for the win?
Old 03-07-2013, 10:07 PM   #200
The Geek
It... Won't... Die...

The Geek is eating shit and dying!

Send a message via Skype™ to The Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Revelator View Post
Yeah the HHE remake sequel had some awesome death scenes and action but I could take or leave the rest. Absolutely none of the actors actually look convincing as US military personal Its kind of hilarious actually.

The last 20 or 30 minutes is pretty action packed. Its grown on me, but the original HHE and the remake are the best. The original HHE Part 2 is pretty.... terrible. Dog flashback for the win?
I hated it at first as well but much like yourself I don't mind it now.

The original HHE 2 is hilarious cheese. It's definitely terrible but it makes me laugh.