Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003) - Page 19 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Franchise Horror

Franchise Horror Come here to talk about all the big names in horror with 3+ films in the series. Halloween, Friday the 13th, A Nightmare on Elm Street, etc...

Old 03-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #181
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

The Revelator is tired

Send a message via AIM to The Revelator Send a message via MSN to The Revelator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myerszilla View Post
To each his own, but I still find it to be among the more competent of the reboots/remakes, as is The Last House on the Left.

And, ironically, both of the newer movies managed to be better than the original, esssspecially in Friday's case..
I enjoyed it but but I prefer the original any day of the week.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #182
Myerszilla
Rotting Corpse

Myerszilla is eternally internally rotting

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Revelator View Post
I enjoyed it but but I prefer the original any day of the week.
Normally, I would too. When it comes to Halloween & Texas Chainsaw Massacre or Black Christmas & Nightmare On Elm Street, I will easily choose the original of each franchise any day of the week. But in Friday the 13th's case, I won't ever be able to do that.

It's been admitted that Friday the 13th is a rip-off of Halloween, & it's a very poorly made one at that. It sets up a "whodunit" mystery, but eliminates all suspects by showing them together while the killer stalks them, & it completely fails to establish that Alice is meant to be the main character until the ass end of the movie. Then, when the killer is revealed, it comes off as a total mindfuck because it's someone who was seemingly pulled of thin air & appeared nowhere else in the movie. Then there's the very badly looking choregraphed fight between Mrs. Voorhees & Alice, which becomes laughable, the opposite, I'm sure, of their intentions.

Not to mention that the original Friday the 13th looks very, very cheap. Granted, John Carpenter, Tobe Hooper, & Wes Craven also had really low budgets to work with, but they still brought a sense of style that set their vision firmly apart from others. Cunningham doesn't do that, his directing is sloppy, & mediocre at best.

Part II, directed by the more competent Steve Miner, is everything the original should've been. It should've been Jason from the start, imo.

But, yeah, that's why I say the reboot is the better film when compared to the original. It looks better, the villain is actually badass, there are likable characters, & the kills, while not totally unique, look much, much better, & I'm sure will hold up better over the years too.

Don't get me wrong, I love the original, but for me it's always been one of the weaker entries within the series. I'm not saying it's Jason Goes To Hell or Jason X bad, but it's nothing great either.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #183
Heretic
It... Won't... Die...

Heretic is up to shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek View Post
Spoiler Below
A microwave can be rigged to be used without a door and it shows early on the father working on it (it was broken by his brother in law).
Yeah, and it's also possible to make a medievil catapult. Doesn't make it any less absurd.

He should've been simply chainsawed, like the original.

Heretic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #184
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

The Revelator is tired

Quote:
Normally, I would too. When it comes to Halloween & Texas Chainsaw Massacre or Black Christmas & Nightmare On Elm Street, I will easily choose the original of each franchise any day of the week. But in Friday the 13th's case, I won't ever be able to do that.

It's been admitted that Friday the 13th is a rip-off of Halloween, & it's a very poorly made one at that. It sets up a "whodunit" mystery, but eliminates all suspects by showing them together while the killer stalks them, & it completely fails to establish that Alice is meant to be the main character until the ass end of the movie. Then, when the killer is revealed, it comes off as a total mindfuck because it's someone who was seemingly pulled of thin air & appeared nowhere else in the movie. Then there's the very badly looking choregraphed fight between Mrs. Voorhees & Alice, which becomes laughable, the opposite, I'm sure, of their intentions.

Not to mention that the original Friday the 13th looks very, very cheap. Granted, John Carpenter, Tobe Hooper, & Wes Craven also had really low budgets to work with, but they still brought a sense of style that set their vision firmly apart from others. Cunningham doesn't do that, his directing is sloppy, & mediocre at best.

Part II, directed by the more competent Steve Miner, is everything the original should've been. It should've been Jason from the start, imo.

But, yeah, that's why I say the reboot is the better film when compared to the original. It looks better, the villain is actually badass, there are likable characters, & the kills, while not totally unique, look much, much better, & I'm sure will hold up better over the years too.

Don't get me wrong, I love the original, but for me it's always been one of the weaker entries within the series. I'm not saying it's Jason Goes To Hell or Jason X bad, but it's nothing great either.

I disagree with all of this.

I would type an argument but I know it won't get me anywhere.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #185
The Geek
Schlock King

The Geek is a monster turd

Send a message via Skype™ to The Geek

Quote:

As do I.

But like you said it's not worth arguing with him over it.

Bow to your King

B-Movie Madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa View Post
I have a master's degree in sucking dicks.
The Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #186
Myerszilla
Rotting Corpse

Quote:

It's an opinion. Sad that even now, with it being 2013, as far as some people are concerned your opinion just has to sync up with their own.

I don't give a shit anyway, so I guess it all works out in the end.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #187
travisbickle
Send... More... Paramedics

travisbickle is warning you, I'll put a knife right in you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
The Hills Have Eyes is a great remake of a shitty movie.

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I think the TCM remake flat out sucks. The whole feel of the movie is off. The original had the gritty/realistic feel to it, and the remake is overly stylized (the David Fincher wannabe shot of the hole through the head, for example) It was directed by a guy who did music videos and it shows. The entire cast sucks (with the excepetion of Ermey) and the new Family is uninteresting. A fat lady and an old dude in a wheelchair...Great.

Just another safe and by the numbers remake, IMO. I don't get what's so great about it.

My DVD's/Blu's
travisbickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #188
Heretic
It... Won't... Die...

Heretic is up to shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
What? It's a boring, scholcky movie, that's really only known for having an actual deformed man in it. If Micheal Berryman isn't in that movie, nobody would remember it.

It's fucking terrible. The remake destroys it, in every way imaginable.

Heretic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #189
Myerszilla
Rotting Corpse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
What? It's a boring, scholcky movie, that's really only known for having an actual deformed man in it. If Micheal Berryman isn't in that movie, nobody would remember it.

It's fucking terrible. The remake destroys it, in every way imaginable.
What do you think about part two in comparison to the remake?

I thought the designs of the mutants were superb & better than in the remake, but the sequel lacked that same atmosphere & feeling of dread the remake has, which automatically bumps it down. But it's definitely enjoyable, imo, & I loved seeing Michael Bailey Smith back again, and in a larger role.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #190
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

The Revelator is tired

Quote:
It's an opinion. Sad that even now, with it being 2013, as far as some people are concerned your opinion just has to sync up with their own.

I don't give a shit anyway, so I guess it all works out in the end.
That's pretty melodramatic. I just said arguing with you won't get anywhere so why bother? In fact what I said aligns with what you just said. Your opinion is your own, so I won't try to change it. I simply said I disagree, I didn't say you were wrong. In hindsight, I do think your wrong. But that's just like my opinion... man. Fucking opinions. Like assholes.