Martyrs (2008) - Page 3 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Horror Movies > Foreign Horror

Foreign Horror Discussion for horror films from non US markets

Old 07-29-2008, 06:30 PM   #21
SaoCole
Rotting Corpse

SaoCole is n't

Over-hyped French horror movies rule.
Observe and Report: **
Vampyr (1931): ****
SaoCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:56 PM   #22
mR_BuNgLe
Time Cop

mR_BuNgLe has no status.

I will be seeing this at the Toronto Film Fest this year. I can't wait.
mR_BuNgLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:41 AM   #23
Avaya
Not Dead Yet

Avaya has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaoCole View Post
Its another one isn't it, I'll admit I'm looking forward to it but I know it'll be very samey
Avaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:07 PM   #24
mr_stroppy
Fresh Kill

mr_stroppy has no status.

Am I missing a huge list of films somewhere? I wouldn't consider Haute Tension, Frontier(s), Inside and now Martyrs to comprise a wave of over-hyped films. That's four in the past three years.

I didn't see Frontier(s), but really dug Haute Tension (despite the atrocious ending) and enjoyed Inside (although it would've been nice to have a bit more substance to go with the style). Martyrs looks interesting, so I'll probably check it out when I get a chance...

Last edited by mr_stroppy; 08-11-2008 at 02:33 AM.
mr_stroppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:06 PM   #25
stuntmanpurp
Not Dead Yet

stuntmanpurp has no status.

hell, im looking forward to this, gimmie a blood bath n' some girls murdering + bag of popcorn n' ill be entertained
stuntmanpurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:00 PM   #26
Stusha24
Not Dead Yet

Stusha24 has no status.

High Tension was the first foreign horror film I watched and it was crazy. Then I rented Inside not even knowing the whole thing, I rented it because it was a French movie lol It was scary shit and then I showed my friends who thought I was real sick for watching it and making them watch it. My friend has a 2 year old, so it was a little too surreal for her. I listened to all the hype for Frontiere which I watched and thought it was too much like slasher films in America.
Stusha24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:18 AM   #27
Sigistauffen
Not Dead Yet

Sigistauffen has no status.

I've seen the film yesterday, and it certainly was a tough pill to swallow (the final 30 minutes especially). It isn't like Inside (it also isn't nearly as gory), much less like Frontier(s) or High Tension, which I thought was pretty weak actually.
It also isn't depicting graphic violence just for the sake of mere shock value. The plot actually does require it. Of course you could always go with off-screen violence, but it is a horror film after all.
There were no stupid victims you'd wish to be put out if their misery in the most horrible ways imaginable either. (Inside was full of these: especially the brain dead cops didn't deserve any better)
The acting is terrific and it's certainly well shot and directed. The plot was unique in it's own sick way as well.
I'm still not 100% sure whether I like it or not, though. I say see it for yourself before judging, just don't expect to have any "fun" while you do. (I've never sat in a theater with horror geeks this quiet)
Sigistauffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:37 AM   #28
abe_the_cop
Inactive Account

abe_the_cop has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaoCole View Post
and there it is folks.

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/for...ad.php?t=34390
abe_the_cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:01 AM   #29
Kiss of Death

Kiss of Death has no status. Edit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mR_BuNgLe View Post
I will be seeing this at the Toronto Film Fest this year. I can't wait.
Every year I scoff at this festival and every year they have good movies. I need to get my narrow ass to one of these events.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:14 PM   #30
a horror connoisseur
Not Dead Yet

a horror connoisseur has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigistauffen View Post
I've seen the film yesterday, and it certainly was a tough pill to swallow (the final 30 minutes especially). It isn't like Inside (it also isn't nearly as gory), much less like Frontier(s) or High Tension, which I thought was pretty weak actually.
It also isn't depicting graphic violence just for the sake of mere shock value. The plot actually does require it. Of course you could always go with off-screen violence, but it is a horror film after all.
There were no stupid victims you'd wish to be put out if their misery in the most horrible ways imaginable either. (Inside was full of these: especially the brain dead cops didn't deserve any better)
The acting is terrific and it's certainly well shot and directed. The plot was unique in it's own sick way as well.
I'm still not 100% sure whether I like it or not, though. I say see it for yourself before judging, just don't expect to have any "fun" while you do. (I've never sat in a theater with horror geeks this quiet)
couldn't have said it better myself! i was so lucky to see it at the toronto international film festival after being let down by the fact that it wont be released in north america for a while. as a gorehound, i was very impressed with the gore, even after watching 'inside' right before (although yes it can't compare). due to the compassion you feel for the characters and seeing what they go through, it really leaves you emotionally exhausted (ESPECIALLY the last 30 minutes)! it honestly took me over a day to get over the horror of this film. i agree people will either love it or hate it, nevertheless, i can still say i really do like this film because it is a true masterpiece of both horror and drama.