Dubstep - Page 5 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > General Talk > Music Discussion

Music Discussion Wow that new Britney Track Rules! Talk about that (and other music stuff) here.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #41
SlayerX
OG Salmon

SlayerX is feeding you bacon strips for your hater lips

I dont hate dubstep but can only handle it in small doses. If Im in that "type" of mood, I would much rather listen to Trance or House. I guess just like any genre, youll have good dubstep and bad dubstep except in this genre, I find it very hard to differenciate between the two. Im a big fan of NIN so the whole Industrial feel certain dubstep has appeals to me. Its alright at a party or at the club mixed in with other songs but I couldnt ever see myself just listening to it for the sake of listening to it.

Resonance - Fusion - Selection - Conception - Evolution - Liberation
SlayerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #42
Hannibal Rex
Rotting Corpse

Hannibal Rex is powerpacked hard flexin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayerX View Post
I dont hate dubstep but can only handle it in small doses. If Im in that "type" of mood, I would much rather listen to Trance or House. I guess just like any genre, youll have good dubstep and bad dubstep except in this genre, I find it very hard to differenciate between the two. Im a big fan of NIN so the whole Industrial feel certain dubstep has appeals to me. Its alright at a party or at the club mixed in with other songs but I couldnt ever see myself just listening to it for the sake of listening to it.
Since I started doing mixing and whatnot, I've discovered that some dubstep goes well with gangster rap. I made a mix of Excision and Ice Cube that I was pretty proud of. The aggression from each feeds well into the other's sound.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:14 PM   #43
The Bear Jew
It... Won't... Die...

The Bear Jew is the Sadie Saxton of BD...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Rex View Post
Since I started doing mixing and whatnot, I've discovered that some dubstep goes well with gangster rap. I made a mix of Excision and Ice Cube that I was pretty proud of. The aggression from each feeds well into the other's sound.

I love Excision, that sounds pretty awesome, I want to hear it
Old 05-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #44
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

The Revelator is tired

Send a message via AIM to The Revelator Send a message via MSN to The Revelator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayerX View Post
yeah this is pretty much how I feel too. I don't hate it, I just don't see myself listening to it casually.

It was funny, I played some dubstep for my dad about a year ago when I was visiting and his reaction was priceless. It was a mixture of confusion, intrigue, and more confusion.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:15 PM   #45
Oxley
Bastard Son of 100 Maniacs

Oxley is slice'n and dice'n.

Send a message via MSN to Oxley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusted View Post
I don't hate just Skrillex but all dubstep artists. I don't need to get into a deep analyses of why I don't like these artists, the music they play sounds like shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Voorhees View Post
It's not music. A dial up modem connecting to the internet is closer to music than dubstep ever will be.
Quote:
I like metal but I hate screaming metal. Dubstep, to me, is like screaming metal. It makes my ears bleed.

"I do not see why man should not be just as cruel as nature." -- Adolf Hitler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa View Post
You are a sadistic, volatile and all over out of control internet cruise missile, that's what you are, Oxley.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderlust View Post
Do you have American animals in your Zoo's? Like Bears, Elephants and Giraffes?
My little idiot..
Oxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:28 AM   #46
Shoggoth
The Living Dead

Shoggoth is in a land of confusion

Remember when electronic artists were talented? If there is anyone making worthwhile dance music these days it's Kavinsky.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:49 AM   #47
Cebonation04
Demigod

Cebonation04 has no status.

Send a message via AIM to Cebonation04

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear Jew View Post
I think the negative shots at Skrillex are basically coming from two different avenues....

#1: Success; His monstrous success and popularity has made Skrillex the poster boy for Dubstep ( a moniker he never asked for by the way)

#2: Dubstep purists disliking "Brostep", the popular Americanized take on dubstep.

Below is a further breakdown taken from the Wikipedia:

In 2011, dubstep gained significant traction in the US market, by way of a post-dubstep style known as brostep, with the American producer Skrillex becoming something of a poster boy for the scene.

In September 2011 a Spin Magazine EDM special referred to brostep as a "lurching and aggressive" variant of dubstep that has proven commercially successful in the United States.

Unlike traditional dubstep production styles, which emphasise sub-bass content, brostep accentuates the middle register and features "robotic fluctuations and metal-esque aggression".

According to Simon Reynolds, as dubstep gained larger audiences and moved from smaller club-based venues to larger outdoor events, sub-sonic content was gradually replaced by distorted bass riffs that function roughly in the same register as the electric guitar in heavy metal.

The term brostep has been used by some as a pejorative descriptor for a style of popular Americanised dubstep. So called "dubstep purists" leveled criticism at brostep because of its preoccupation with "hard" and aggressive sounding timbres.

U.S. and Canadian artists often drew inspiration from British brostep producers who tended to work less with sub-bass and more with mid-range sounds such as Caspa and Rusko, and Vex'd.

Rusko himself claimed in an interview on BBC Radio 1Xtra that "brostep is sort of my fault, but now I've started to hate it in a way ... It's like someone screaming in your face ... you don't want that."

According to a BBC review of his 2012 album Songs, the record was a muddled attempt by Rusko to realign his music with a "Jamaican inheritance" and distance it from the "belching, aggressive, resolutely macho" dubstep produced by his imitators.

Commenting on the success of American producers such as Skrillex, Skream has stated: "I think it hurts a lot of people over here because it's a UK sound, but it's been someone with influences outside the original sound that has made it a lot bigger. The bad side of that is that a lot of people will just say 'dubstep equals Skrillex'. But in all honesty it genuinely doesn't bother me. I like the music he makes."
I think the biggest reason people hate on him is because he has a face that makes one wanna punch babies.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:03 AM   #48
Rusted
Paranoid Android

Rusted has no status.

Send a message via MSN to Rusted

^^ He certainly is one ugly cunt.
Rusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:37 AM   #49
Frey
BANNED

Frey is here to fulfill Ra's Al Ghul's destiny!

Send a message via Yahoo to Frey

Quote:
Of course.

Skrillex has his fans but it's just not for me.

I like metal but I hate screaming metal. Dubstep, to me, is like screaming metal. It makes my ears bleed.
Define screaming metal. Do you mean screechy metal like Cradle Of Filth? Yelling like Slipknot, or death growls like Opeth?
Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #50
BeRightBack
Flyboy

BeRightBack is not letting you spoil my party, even if it sucks big time!

Quote:
I think the negative shots at Skrillex are basically coming from two different avenues....
#2: Dubstep purists disliking "Brostep", the popular Americanized take on dubstep.
I guess I fall into that category, though I'm not a dubstep purist, and not european. I've tried to listen to Skrillex, numerous times man. My brain just doesn't process that shit as good sound. It's sloppy, it's random noises, little melody, and this guy used to be in an emo rock band... I don't even get where the fuck he came from all of a sudden.

Quote:

This song is amazing, listen and try to deny it!

Sorry man, but that song was horrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Rex View Post
EDM has a lot of different outlets and dubstep isn't an easy one to get into. Generally speaking, I think dubstep is kind of boring and predictable. As a metal fan, I can appreciate dubstep's aggressive approach, but it seems like there aren't many dubstep artists that actually try to take the main idea and go at it from a different angle. Dubstep in small doses is alright, but when every song has the exact same structure and sound, it gets old quickly.

A few favorite electronic artists:

Deadmau5
Feed Me / Spor
Wolfgang Gartner
Knife Party
Zomboy
Michael Woods
Tiesto
But trance can be like this as well. I've had people hate on me listening to trance, because they claimed the basic beat structure of every song was the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoggoth View Post
Remember when electronic artists were talented? If there is anyone making worthwhile dance music these days it's Kavinsky.
Kavinsky is cool, but he ain't the only one out there.

Quote:
^^ He certainly is one ugly cunt.