The unfilmed 'Freddy vs. Jason' scripts - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Franchise Horror

Franchise Horror Come here to talk about all the big names in horror with 3+ films in the series. Halloween, Friday the 13th, A Nightmare on Elm Street, etc...

Old 03-19-2015, 08:39 PM   #1
‹bermensch
Fresh Kill

‹bermensch is not being saved by the god Plutonium.

Default The unfilmed 'Freddy vs. Jason' scripts

Just a thought: have any of you read any of the unused scripts for Freddy vs. Jason? If so, what did you think of them?

I feel like the version we got, while it could have been worse, was very safe and vanilla - respectful to a fault of both franchises, but also not at all adventurous or interesting. I happen to like a few of the unproduced scripts much better.

My favorite is the Peter Briggs script. It functions much more clearly as a direct sequel to Jason Goes To Hell and The Dream Child, and features both Jessica from The Final Friday and Alice and her baby from Nightmare 5 as main characters. It's a pretty high-concept script, with an extended fight sequence in Hell that would have featured a lot of cool visuals.

I like the Mark Protosevich draft nearly as much as the Briggs script. It follows a psychology student who inadvertently resurrects Freddy when her presentation on the subject of fear in relation to children's stories is posted on-line. One of the things I dislike about the existing film, and some of the Nightmare sequels, is that it didn't take advantage of the nightmare world as a source for strong visuals, sticking to the overused boiler room setting for most of it.

This script fixes that problem, with imagery running a gamut from an Australian Aboriginal shaman transforming into a gecko to an attack by a gang of dead serial killers (Gacy in full clown make-up, Dahmer, etc). The biggest issue with the script is a scene in which Jason kills a drug addict and puts her newborn back in her womb - I understand the idea, that Jason sympathizes with children because he basically is one, but it seems out-of-character.

I'm also partial to the Braga/Moore script, written by two of the men behind the Battlestar Galactica reimagining. The conceit with this one is a little different - Jason exists as a serial killer in the 'real world', and served as an inspiration to the producers of the Friday the 13th film series. Freddy is the same as in the films. Jason is arrested by a SWAT team in the opening scenes, and is sedated so his defense team can examine him. Turns out that Jason hasn't slept in decades, because Freddy has been tormenting him since he was a boy.

This script uses a plot device a lot of people take issue with - namely that Freddy is responsible for Jason's first death as a child. I'm not overly hostile to the idea, as long as it doesn't feel thrown together as a way to bring the two characters together. It works much better in this script than in the Lewis Abernathy script, which is dreck (all of the scripts featuring the Lizzie character or the "Fred Head" Krueger cult are abysmal).

The Aibel/Berger version is the worst, and unworthy of comment.

In all, I think that the Briggs, Braga/Moore and Protesevich scripts would have been better than the film we got. The Freddy vs. Jason that was made feels too conservative to me, a missed opportunity.
And the dreams begin...

Last edited by ‹bermensch; 03-19-2015 at 08:42 PM.
‹bermensch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:30 PM   #2
damnenchiladas
Fresh Kill

damnenchiladas is is leading with the bleeding

Nice work man. I've always wondered about these scripts and have never had a chance to read them.

I will say that FvJ we got was pretty clever and simple from a conceptual standpoint, but fell short in it's execution.

It will be interesting to read what could have been.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:37 PM   #3
ObeySleepConform
Cunt from the Crypt

ObeySleepConform is vengeance

I never read unused scripts because I hate dwelling on what could of been and shit like that. Might as well accept what came out or don't watch it, etc, etc. But from what I heard there were lots of interesting ideas floating around for Freddy vs Jason. Always thought the Pinhead ending would have been an excellent thing to include.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7en View Post
And I REFUSE to call a movie a classic unless it meets my standards.
ObeySleepConform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:40 PM   #4
‹bermensch
Fresh Kill

I hope you enjoy them, and I look forward to hearing what you think about them.

I agree that the Shannon/Swift Freddy vs. Jason (the film we got) is simple - but, for my tastes, it's too simple. I like Freddy and Jason as relatively high-concept characters, and every time I watch it I feel like there should be more to it.

That's probably why I like the Briggs script the most. It doesn't do anything obvious with the characters - Freddy isn't responsible for Jason's drowning, say - but the connection is a bit meatier there.
And the dreams begin...
Old 03-19-2015, 10:02 PM   #5
Rusted
Paranoid Android

Rusted has no status.

Send a message via MSN to Rusted

The Briggs script sounds good.

I've always wanted Alices story to continue.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:19 PM   #6
‹bermensch
Fresh Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusted View Post
The Briggs script sounds good.

I've always wanted Alices story to continue.
The idea in that script is that Jason and Freddy are pawns of the Devil, called "Thanatos" in the script, who uses them in a bid to cause the Apocalypse before they turn on each other, and then on him.

A lot of people felt that the introduction of the Devil took the focus off Freddy and Jason (it's the reason New Line didn't greenlight production on the script), but I don't mind. It had the potential to have an amazing three-way fight in Hell.
And the dreams begin...
Old 03-20-2015, 04:49 AM   #7
Rusted
Paranoid Android

Rusted has no status.

Send a message via MSN to Rusted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ‹bermensch View Post
The idea in that script is that Jason and Freddy are pawns of the Devil, called "Thanatos" in the script, who uses them in a bid to cause the Apocalypse before they turn on each other, and then on him.

A lot of people felt that the introduction of the Devil took the focus off Freddy and Jason (it's the reason New Line didn't greenlight production on the script), but I don't mind. It had the potential to have an amazing three-way fight in Hell.
I started reading it and the beginning is very different for what was to be a FVJ flick. Good ideas though.