Pet Sematary (1989) - Page 29 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Horror Movies > Golden Age

Golden Age Horror movies from the 1960's - 1980's.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #281
Rusted
Paranoid Android

Rusted has no status.

Send a message via MSN to Rusted

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathbyIggy View Post
Drafted this yesterday. The film looks beautiful on Blu-Ray!!!
I might pick up the blue for this when I'm out and about today.
Rusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:05 PM   #282
Iggy
Heat Fan Numero Uno!

Iggy is still living in the 80's.

Here's a small article from Fangoria, on a documentary that's in the works....

http://www.fangoria.com/index.php/ho...umentary-rises
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:04 AM   #283
HorrorMovieFan
I Eat Brains!

HorrorMovieFan has no status.

"Pet Sematary".....Pet Sematary is one of the scariest movies I have ever seen. Totally gives me the chills in so many scenes. The performances are good...especially from standouts Fred Gwynne(Jud), the guy who plays "Victor Pascow" and little Miko Hughes(Gage). Dale Midkiff , Denise Crosby, and the little girl are all hit and miss. One scene that totally makes me shutter at times is when "Rachel" is in a daze/relapse or whatever..and she opens her sisters bedroom door..and we see "Zelda" on the bed. All of a sudden she sits up really fast..hearing her bones crack...and she runs right up to Rachel. That voice of hers and her telling Rachel "Gage and I will get you". Yuck...totally creepy!! Spooky atmosphere, some good bloody gore, shocking/tragic deaths, and a thrilling music score all highlight the movie. A true horror gem!!

9/10
Old 09-10-2013, 03:20 AM   #284
zqa
Not Dead Yet

zqa has no status.

Agreed. Watched it last week (finally), and I was really impressed. Very, very good!
zqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:13 AM   #285
Yoxodo
Send... More... Paramedics

Yoxodo is melting!!!!!!!!

l always thought this movie was atrocious. The subsequent years since it's release have done nothing to change my mind. Another great King novel that became a turd of a movie. Bad acting, bad direction, and a terrible script all combine to form a big heaping mess. Thank god they never did a sequel...oh wait, they did, and it sucked even bigger balls.
Yoxodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:12 AM   #286
prettyscary
Wererabbit

prettyscary is too jittery for more coffee, so shes only having one more cup.

I grew up about 10 minutes away from Bloomsburg, where the guy who played Zelda acts in a local theatre. You can see a lot of that character in him, but what a nice guy. He used to get coffee at a greasy spoon I worked at as a dishwasher. The thing that freaked me out the worst was Church. I had a gray cat that looked just like him except he was at least twice as big (about 20 lbs.). And he loved following me around, he spooked me for a while after I saw it. It was sad because he didn't understand why I was weirded out by him all the sudden.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #287
Shoggoth
The Living Dead

Shoggoth is in a land of confusion

I've developed an enjoyment for this film since my nephew was obsessed with it for a while. It is so out there you can't help but like it.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #288
No-Personality
Not Dead Yet

No-Personality has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoxodo View Post
l always thought this movie was atrocious. The subsequent years since it's release have done nothing to change my mind. Another great King novel that became a turd of a movie. Bad acting, bad direction, and a terrible script all combine to form a big heaping mess. Thank god they never did a sequel...oh wait, they did, and it sucked even bigger balls.
I will never challenge anyone who has this opinion. In fact, you're probably right.

But... I think there was never any hope of Pet Sematary becoming a truly great film. And I believe, depending on what mood you're in, Mary Lambert's lousy film actually kind of works. It certainly is very visually impressive. And, I think the music's great too.

Furthermore, this might be hard to explain, but I think the movie has some genuine merit. In a very abstract way. The way in which people consider certain things sacred. And this movie couldn't be more profane and crude. And extremely effective at kind of shaking you up a bit. Not necessarily as King intended with the book but he's been accused of being a rotten screenwriter. I think he wanted this movie to be different from the book. To feel almost campy, somehow. But it's not campy. It's just incapable of taking anything seriously.

Yet, in spite of that: holy frick, is this movie creepy! If it had been the masterpiece the book allegedly is (haven't read it), it's possible some of the absurdity would have been lost. And even in its most absurd moment, it's unnerving. And creepy.
No-Personality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:36 PM   #289
ryanvoid
Not Dead Yet

ryanvoid has no status.

To be fair, the book isn't exactly a masterpiece. It's a meat-and-potatoes thriller, and it succeeds because it has no delusions about what it's trying to accomplish.

If something is using the "cursed Indian burial ground" trope, and playing it completely straight, you know they're not exactly reaching for an Oscar, you know? The movie has exactly one note to play, and it plays it pretty well.

ryanvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:33 AM   #290
horrorking95
Rotting Corpse

horrorking95 is singing Believe! BY CHER!

Send a message via MSN to horrorking95

I finally saw this for the first time last night and really enjoyed it! Of course, it isn't as good as other Stephen King adaptations, but it is a fun little film. The acting was hilarious and the script a little clunky, but I suppose it's all part of the charm! I did actually think that the directing was really good, and the whole concept is interesting and original. I don't know why anyone would find it scary though... Apart from Zelda, she was pretty creepy!

7/10

Have a looky at my new horror movie blog!

http://asdaman.wordpress.com/
horrorking95 is offline   Reply With Quote