My Bloody Valentine (1981) - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Horror Movies > Golden Age

Golden Age Horror movies from the 1960's - 1980's.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:29 PM   #1
The Engineer
Rotting Corpse

The Engineer has no status.

Default My Bloody Valentine (1981)

As I've long been dying to see the excised gore from MBV, which is a seminal slasher in and of itself, I figured this little article excerpt might be of interest to others who are foaming for some of that nasty pickaxe action we've all scene stills of:

However, shortly after hearing this disappointing news I was contacted by Adam Rockoff, the author of GOING TO PIECES: THE RISE AND FALL OF THE SLASHER FILM, 1978-1986. He had interviewed for the book such slasher movie luminaries as John Carpenter, Sean Cunningham, Bill Lustig, Irwin Yablans, Roger Spottiswoode and Jack Sholder. George Mihalka, however, did not respond to an interview request, but John Dunning (MY BLOODY VALENTINE's producer) did. This is what Adam told me:

"While writing my book I interviewed John Dunning, producer of both My Bloody Valentine and Happy Birthday to Me (along with House by the Lake and Rabid, as well). He admits the film was butchered by the MPAA. Hardly one to shy away from gore, he also has always wanted to release a fully uncut version. About a year and a half ago, while cleaning out his office vault he found the footage which the MPAA cut. He contacted Paramount but they didn't seem to have any interest in restoring the film. So, as of now, he still has it in his possession. While we may be no closer to getting an uncut release at least you know it truly does exist. Hope you enjoyed this story."

... naturally, enjoy it I did! It was the first concrete sighting of the 'lost' footage. I was eager to hear more, but the next news came as something of a surprise:

"Interestingly enough, Dunning told me that he holds the rights to a sequel to MBV, with Paramount getting right of first refusal. ... a sequel to MBV never was made so maybe Dunning does have some ownership. By the way, according to him, he has a treatment for a sequel, but nothing was ever officially (or even unofficially) scripted."

... so a sequel was on the cards (more of which later). Remembering that when I had contacted Dragon Entertainment, in Germany, a few years ago they had expressed an interest in putting out an uncut version of MY BLOODY VALENTINE; obviously, one of the problems then was finding an uncut print, but we were now one step closer. Adam agreed it was a good idea, so I contacted Dragon, who were very enthusiastic said they needed to find out who owned the rights to the film in Germany before they could forge ahead (they'd had their fingers burnt over run-ins with Paramount before when trying to release the uncut version of Scott Spegiell's INTRUDER). Meanwhile, Adam got some more information from Dunning:

"Although Dunning does not have a print of the film, he does have the negative. And wait until you hear this. . . 8-9 minutes of cut scenes, which means it’s a little bit more than a snip or two here and there. I can only imagine what they are.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:37 PM   #2
Gore_Freak08
Fresh Kill

Gore_Freak08 is looking for a game to play.

Send a message via MSN to Gore_Freak08

WOAH!
THAT'S AWESOME!
I totally want to see it. I mean, Paramount is a bitch. If I'm not mistaken, they own the rights for Argento's FOUR FLIES ON GREY VELVET and have not made it into a DVD. I really hope they release an uncut version of MBV, especially to see more of that shower murder scene and pickax murders!
- Cock roaches. The fuckers have been here for 350,000,000 years and they're still going strong, so you better fucking respect them. Face it, this is their planet, we're just tourists.
Gore_Freak08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:34 PM   #3
CJ_01976
It... Won't... Die...

CJ_01976 is gone

Send a message via MSN to CJ_01976

The problem with Paramount is that they're very strict in that they will not release anything that isn't approved by the MPAA. They do not do unrated versions. That is why there is no uncut version (and most likely never will be unless Paramount loses the rights to it).
CJ_01976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:36 PM   #4
legionsOFtheDEAD
I Eat Brains!

legionsOFtheDEAD is Arrogance Diminishes Wisdom

Send a message via MSN to legionsOFtheDEAD Send a message via Yahoo to legionsOFtheDEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_01976 View Post
The problem with Paramount is that they're very strict in that they will not release anything that isn't approved by the MPAA. They do not do unrated versions. That is why there is no uncut version (and most likely never will be unless Paramount loses the rights to it).
yep i wouldn't get your hopes up to high people friday the 13th fans no that way to well
Old 10-07-2007, 11:40 PM   #5
Chainsaw Suicide
Send... More... Paramedics

Chainsaw Suicide has no status.

Send a message via MSN to Chainsaw Suicide

Quote:
Originally Posted by legionsOFtheDEAD View Post
yep i wouldn't get your hopes up to high people friday the 13th fans no that way to well
you just murdered a sentence.

Quote:
I have never done drugs and I never will. I was even the best student in the D.A.R.E. program back in the 80s.
Chainsaw Suicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:02 AM   #6
legionsOFtheDEAD
I Eat Brains!

Send a message via MSN to legionsOFtheDEAD Send a message via Yahoo to legionsOFtheDEAD

lol i am half drunk give me a break
Old 10-08-2007, 12:06 AM   #7
The Engineer
Rotting Corpse

The Engineer has no status.

Quote:
Yep, this is all definately true. The thing that got me really excited though was the simple fact that I now know the excised footage actually DOES exist (I was long under the impression that the actually film those those pictures came from was either lost or had been destroyed). So even if Paramount will refuse to release an unrated cut, at least theres a glimmer of hope that another company could one day buy the rights and deliver it uncensored.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:10 AM   #8
!Viva Hate!
BANNED

!Viva Hate! is going on safari motherfucker...SAH-FAR-I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by legionsOFtheDEAD View Post
lol i am half drunk give me a break
Which bone would you prefer? Please say your typing fingers...
!Viva Hate! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:11 AM   #9
!Viva Hate!
BANNED

!Viva Hate! is going on safari motherfucker...SAH-FAR-I!

Quote:
The sad part is, they won't even release the unrated material as bonus features!
!Viva Hate! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:30 AM   #10
legionsOFtheDEAD
I Eat Brains!

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Viva Hate! View Post
Which bone would you prefer? Please say your typing fingers...
yep i certainly walked into that one. ya i know they just release a movie with well just the movie no special features nothing. no wait theres a trailer well i know i'm sold