Rob Zombie's Halloween (2007) Reviews (Spoilers) - Page 398 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Franchise Horror

Franchise Horror Come here to talk about all the big names in horror with 3+ films in the series. Halloween, Friday the 13th, A Nightmare on Elm Street, etc...

View Poll Results: Thoughts on Halloween (2007)
It's Great! 187 33.39%
It's Shit! 201 35.89%
It's.... alright. 172 30.71%
Voters: 560. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2014, 09:03 PM   #3971
Se7en
It... Won't... Die...

Se7en is The Bad Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbiechris View Post
I haven't watch this movie since it was released. I didn't really like it back then, but for whatever reason I gave it a rewatch this weekend (via amazon prime free streaming) and I actually enjoyed it. Quite a bit - More then I remembered it. It was more intense then I remembered and it was shot very well. I dunno I'm kinda a fan of it now.
The remake is so under appreciated. I love how it's shot, I love how menacing Michael is, and most of all I love how well Zombie's edgy white trash dialogue and characters mesh together to with the setting to create a true "Halloween" vibe that I feel got lost in the original sequels.

The sequel is just sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancylives! View Post
this is very interesting. i hated the first one and absolutely adored the second.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:19 PM   #3972
Rusted
Paranoid Android

Rusted has no status.

Send a message via MSN to Rusted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7en Sins View Post
The remake is so under appreciated. I love how it's shot, I love how menacing Michael is, and most of all I love how well Zombie's edgy white trash dialogue and characters mesh together to with the setting to create a true "Halloween" vibe that I feel got lost in the original sequels.

The sequel is just sad.
Really ?

I feel as though Robs versions have no "Halloween" vibe at all hence why they don't work as Halloween movies.
Rusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:34 PM   #3973
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

The Revelator is tired

Send a message via AIM to The Revelator Send a message via MSN to The Revelator

It's starting!

Old 04-28-2014, 09:52 PM   #3974
Se7en
It... Won't... Die...

Se7en is The Bad Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusted View Post
Really ?

I feel as though Robs versions have no "Halloween" vibe at all hence why they don't work as Halloween movies.
The entire movie, especially the scene with Laurie and Lynda (?) walking home after school looks exactly how my city looks in the Fall.

The only other movie to give me that Autumn vibe so strongly is Carpenter's original.

EDIT: Just remembered Trick R' Treat. That's up there for sure when it comes to a Halloween feel in movies.

Last edited by Se7en; 04-28-2014 at 11:53 PM.
Se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:26 AM   #3975
Mr. Awesome
Fresh Kill

Mr. Awesome has no status.

I really liked the back story Rob Zombie gave of Michael Myers as a kid. I could watch a whole movie of just that. The first half hour or whatever was great.

Mickey's Tavern Forum
A great place for comics, video games, movies, and everything else.
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_C...ern/index.php?

Last edited by Mr. Awesome; 04-29-2014 at 01:29 AM.
Mr. Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:39 AM   #3976
Rusted
Paranoid Android

Rusted has no status.

Send a message via MSN to Rusted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7en Sins View Post
The entire movie, especially the scene with Laurie and Lynda (?) walking home after school looks exactly how my city looks in the Fall.

The only other movie to give me that Autumn vibe so strongly is Carpenter's original.

EDIT: Just remembered Trick R' Treat. That's up there for sure when it comes to a Halloween feel in movies.
Besides the original Halloween, and to an extent Part 4, Trick R Treat oozes the Halloween vibe.
Rusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:44 AM   #3977
Se7en
It... Won't... Die...

Se7en is The Bad Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusted View Post
Besides the original Halloween, and to an extent Part 4, Trick R Treat oozes the Halloween vibe.
Yeah sorry, I just realized you were talking about the vibe of the original films of which Zombie's remake does not have. My bad.

But yes, Trick 'R Treat is a must watch around Halloween. I'm not even a seasonal movie watcher (The Thing in the winter, TCM in the summer, etc) but that flick is one of the few exceptions.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:44 AM   #3978
cubbiechris
I Eat Brains!

cubbiechris has no status.

I think when it was first released I personally couldn't get past it was a Halloween remake and totally differenet then the mystery and suspense filled original. And of course you have the Zombie baggage (even though I adore TDR) Now going back I appreciate for what it is. I lean, mean slasher. It's aged very well. I haven't seen part 2, but now I will.

It's certainly one of the better horror remakes we've seen over the past 5-7 years.
cubbiechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:48 AM   #3979
Jack the Pin
Send... More... Paramedics

Jack the Pin is trying to tie a bell around the tail of his Cartesian demon

Hats off to Zombie for endeavoring to capture the deranged spirit of regionalism in his work and for fleshing out the sometimes hard to articulate psychosis lying at the bottom of the American psyche. I wish more directors would try to mine the wealth of horror and legend that is atypically American. Having said that, and having given props where they are due, I regret to say that in creating a clinically deranged monster out of Michael Myers--a monster who is a product of his upbringing and environment--Zombie side-steps the matter of evil for its own sake, and thus draws only shallowly from that rich, dark, and bottomless archetype. Carpenter's film is an urban fairy tale, and thus a horror movie proper. Zombie's film teeters on the edge of being a psychological thriller with elements of horror in it. It's a bit too crass, a bit too jaded, and a bit too contemporaneous to be as timeless as the original.

Last edited by Jack the Pin; 04-29-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Jack the Pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:01 PM   #3980
nancylives!
The Living Dead

nancylives! is living!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack the Pin View Post
Hats off to Zombie for endeavoring to capture the deranged spirit of regionalism in his work and for fleshing out the sometimes hard to articulate psychosis lying at the bottom of the American psyche. I wish more directors would try to mine the wealth of horror and legend that is atypically American. Having said that, and having given props where they are due, I regret to say that in creating a clinically deranged monster out of Michael Myers--a monster who is a product of his upbringing and environment--Zombie side-steps the matter of evil for its own sake, and thus draws only shallowly from that rich, dark, and bottomless archetype. Carpenter's film is an urban fairy tale, and thus a horror movie proper. Zombie's film teeters on the edge of being a psychological thriller with elements of horror in it. It's a bit too crass, a bit too jaded, and a bit too contemporaneous to be as timeless as the original.
you make a lot of excellent points, jack, and i appreciate your ability to see the positives that zombie brings to this franchise and to his movies in general. it is his presentation of "white trash" america that seems to garner him some of his most vocal critics, but to me it gives his work a gritty realism. as someone who has lived in the south, done plenty of manual labor, and has, like many of us, i imagine, a diverse collection of friends and relatives, this makes his work speak directly to me.

but while i didn't care for the first halloween (i plan to give it a rewatch, tho), it wasn't because it was different in tone from carpente'rs. i just thought it was boring. i appreciated what he was trying to do, but it just didn't really speak to me. halloween 2 did, and partly, i'm sure, because he clearly said fuck tone, i'm making my own movie, and what he gave us was a stew of anarchic trauma and wildly divergent ideas. halloween 2 was a truly original work, and, love it or hate it, i can't think of a horror film that has generated so much passion and debate. people were horrified, of course, because zombie's halloweens are his own, not carpenter's. rob went with the general stories of those movies, and nothing else. and good for him. i don't need to see halloween as it's been done before, or even want to. and so troubling is his work to people, that many can't accept the feelings of others when it comes to his movies, which, while it may manifest negatively, is one of rob's greatest strengths as a filmmaker.

i mean, there's no shortage of shitty halloween movies, but it's zombie's that get everyone's panties in a bunch. good for him. if his work speaks to you, groovy, if not, groovy. but i applaud rob's approach to making movies, and i applaud the subcultures he chooses to spotlight. his method of violence makes me very uncomfortable, and that's something i look for in a lot of movies.

i wish he'd make a part 3...

1. return of the living dead 3 (1993)
2. shocker (1989)
3. the cat people (1942)
4. the hunger (1983)
nancylives! is offline   Reply With Quote