Audition (1999) - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Horror Movies > Foreign Horror

Foreign Horror Discussion for horror films from non US markets

Old 07-06-2005, 10:38 PM   #1
menasyng
BANNED

menasyng is banned.

Default Audition (1999)

anyone like this movie, i thought it was ok, but i would have liked it better if i didnt have to rent the bastard from netflix, it was well written and the scenes were done well, but i dont know, it was just a little above average for me.
menasyng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 10:53 PM   #2
Kefka
BANNED

Kefka has no status.

Location: Kefka Fact:Kefka hasn't gotten a single cold or flu virus in over 2 years.
Send a message via AIM to Kefka

I dug it. I dug how it was normal and slow building the first half,then went totally nuts and surreal for the second half.

However the other Miike movie I've seen,Gozu,is far FAR better...
Kefka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 01:37 AM   #3
travis83
The Living Dead

travis83 is the thread killer

Give me Ichi the Killer any day. I meant to buy Audition a while back but I never got around to it. I think it's being released state side soon though but they'll cut crap out probably. I can't believe this actually made it into the top 10 or so of the Bravo horror countdown. And I thought foreign horror was being overlooked.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:54 AM   #4
Kamui_X
Send... More... Paramedics

Kamui_X is Infini-Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis83
Give me Ichi the Killer any day. I meant to buy Audition a while back but I never got around to it. I think it's being released state side soon though but they'll cut crap out probably. I can't believe this actually made it into the top 10 or so of the Bravo horror countdown. And I thought foreign horror was being overlooked.
It's been out uncut on DVD in the US for a while now...the upcoming (or already released?) version just has a couple extras added.

Anyways, this is an excellent film. One of Miike's finest...a great, twisted story of 2 people longing for love that are seriously exactly made for each other. Yeah, it's slow moving, but it's Asian cinema, and that's the MO, and for me, story building is a-ok. The way Miike turns the film on its head halfway through is near brilliance. Unfortuantely, most people know the film and how it goes by now, but imagine seeing it without knowing anything about it. It would be QUITE effective. I actually got to see it in a theatre without knowing much about it in 2001, but unfortunately it was billed as "Asian Horror", so I figured something weird would be happening in the flick...
Kamui_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 02:01 AM   #5
travis83
The Living Dead

travis83 is the thread killer

oops looks like i'm a little behind. Sorry lol. I agree completely with the point you made that you ruin a movie like Audition if you know what the twist is. I knew what the twist was and it wasn't as effective. Same with Haute Tension. I knew the ending and the whole time I was thinking of how that could happen and wasn't really at all concerned for the well being of the main character because......well you know.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:58 AM   #6
Bleedthrough
Not Dead Yet

Bleedthrough has no status.

I thought it was a brilliant film,

the genius definitely lies in the pacing --

plus, it gives you a new impression of that oh, so adorable/submissive Japanese schoolgirl stereotype.

piano wire - genius.

Asian horror blows me away... it's so fresh, and yes, disturbing, fucked up - the more and more I watch Japanese horror for instance, the more I see the recurring themes of that 'absence,' or, 'loneliness'... a lot of greys and blues and a bleak atmosphere on the whole.

So good to see you once again
I thought that you were hiding from me.
And you thought that I had run away.
Chasing a trail of smoke and reason.

-- third-eye; TOOL ...
Bleedthrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 01:50 PM   #7
The Ripper
Send... More... Paramedics

The Ripper has no status.

Send a message via AIM to The Ripper

I can't stand the people who discredit the film for being, "Slow," and, "Boring."

It's called fucking build up. The protagonist is given so much time with the audience that we really get to see what a great guy he is. Which of course makes it all the more awful in the end. I know I'll probably get bashed for saying this but this has to be one of the most suspenseful/scariest movies I've ever seen.

The movie was also very creative with camera angles and style.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:00 PM   #8
worstepisodeever
Not Dead Yet

worstepisodeever has no status.

LOVED it.

kiri, kiri, kiri,kiri, kiri, kiri,kiri, kiri, kiri!!!

"no never, never."
worstepisodeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 12:34 PM   #9
doc b
Fresh Kill

doc b is the saw is family

like it point blank!!
doc b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 03:05 PM   #10
SirStoneyOfBow
It... Won't... Die...

SirStoneyOfBow is gonna jook you with his jook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ripper
I can't stand the people who discredit the film for being, "Slow," and, "Boring."

It's called fucking build up. The protagonist is given so much time with the audience that we really get to see what a great guy he is. Which of course makes it all the more awful in the end. I know I'll probably get bashed for saying this but this has to be one of the most suspenseful/scariest movies I've ever seen.

The movie was also very creative with camera angles and style.

What starts as a almost relaxed romantic melodrama for the first 45 minutes becomes a awe-inspiring horror peice for the final part. Possibly the most amazing piece of violence for me in any movie.