The Spaghetti & Other Revisionist Western Appreciation Thread - Page 3 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet


Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > General Talk > Entertainment > Foreign Entertainment

Foreign Entertainment General talk about movies, tv, etc. from non US markets.

View Poll Results: Favorite Spaghetti Western?
FISTFUL OF DOLLARS 3 3.85%
FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE 7 8.97%
THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY 43 55.13%
DUCK, YOU SUCKER! (A FISTFUL OF DYNAMITE) 0 0%
ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST 8 10.26%
DJANGO 8 10.26%
DJANGO KILL...IF YOU LIVE, SHOOT! 0 0%
MY NAME IS NOBODY 2 2.56%
KEOMA 0 0%
Other (please specify) 7 8.97%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2007, 07:31 PM   #21
superfry
Big Poppa
 
superfry's Avatar
superfry is wanting a monkey to avenge his death!
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 'Nam Land! 'Nam Land!
Posts: 14,298
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossy View Post
"When I get to likin' someone, they ain't around long."
"I notice when you get to DISlikin' someone they ain't around for long neither."

Outlaw Josey Wales
Also my favorite of Clint's westerns.And possibly THE best American western in my opinion.
superfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 08:43 PM   #22
CJ_01976
It... Won't... Die...
 
CJ_01976's Avatar
CJ_01976 is gone
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 32,903
Send a message via MSN to CJ_01976
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
The Wild fuckin Bunch!
How many times has Tarantino ripped off that one?
CJ_01976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 12:16 AM   #23
Doc
It... Won't... Die...
 
Doc's Avatar
Doc is a hillbilly.
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Across the Burning Sands
Posts: 10,490
Send a message via AIM to Doc
Default

Yeah. The Wild Bunch and Once Upon a Time in the West are both probably in my top 5 films of all time. I adore these SOOOOOO much.
__________________
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 01:56 AM   #24
CJ_01976
It... Won't... Die...
 
CJ_01976's Avatar
CJ_01976 is gone
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 32,903
Send a message via MSN to CJ_01976
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfry View Post
Also my favorite of Clint's westerns.And possibly THE best American western in my opinion.
My favorite American western is Stagecoach. That story is so flawless it was remade twice and ripped off many times, and is one of my favorites from the late great John Ford. It was even the film that made John Wayne a star. I still need to get that two-disc DVD set on it. I also love Rio Bravo too. Need to get the two-disc set to that too, the extra goodies in that one are astounding.

Last edited by CJ_01976; 06-08-2007 at 03:20 AM.
CJ_01976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 01:57 AM   #25
CJ_01976
It... Won't... Die...
 
CJ_01976's Avatar
CJ_01976 is gone
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 32,903
Send a message via MSN to CJ_01976
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
The Wild Bunch and Once Upon a Time in the West are both probably in my top 5 films of all time.
You and many many others.
CJ_01976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 09:53 AM   #26
superfry
Big Poppa
 
superfry's Avatar
superfry is wanting a monkey to avenge his death!
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 'Nam Land! 'Nam Land!
Posts: 14,298
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_01976 View Post
My favorite American western is Stagecoach. That story is so flawless it was remade twice and ripped off many times, and is one of my favorites from the late great John Ford. It was even the film that made John Wayne a star. I still need to get that two-disc DVD set on it. I also love Rio Bravo too. Need to get the two-disc set to that too, the extra goodies in that one are astounding.
Speaking of John Wayne,he absolutely hated HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER and told Clint as much.He didn't care for the more "realistic" & grim approach that westerns were taking.He essentially thought westerns should be more or less typical "white hat/black hat" morality tales.

I've never really understood the appeal of John Wayne as he is really kind of a boring actor.Although,thats not to be seen as insulting to Howard Hawks,John Ford,Don Siegel(who also directed Eastwood in THE BEGUILED & DIRTY HARRY), or any of the undeniably great filmmakers Wayne worked with.

Of course the argument could be made that Eastwood is boring as well,but I would disagree with that.
superfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:09 AM   #27
MikeBonomo
It... Won't... Die...
 
MikeBonomo's Avatar
MikeBonomo is festival circuit with Assassins
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 14,335
Send a message via AIM to MikeBonomo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfry View Post
Speaking of John Wayne,he absolutely hated HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER and told Clint as much.He didn't care for the more "realistic" & grim approach that westerns were taking.He essentially thought westerns should be more or less typical "white hat/black hat" morality tales.

I've never really understood the appeal of John Wayne as he is really kind of a boring actor.Although,thats not to be seen as insulting to Howard Hawks,John Ford,Don Siegel(who also directed Eastwood in THE BEGUILED & DIRTY HARRY), or any of the undeniably great filmmakers Wayne worked with.

Of course the argument could be made that Eastwood is boring as well,but I would disagree with that.
Wasn't John Wayne a racist and kinda faking it on the camera?
__________________
Assassins"Official Facebook Page"

Check out my NEW official website HERE.
MikeBonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:10 AM   #28
depecheanix
It... Won't... Die...
 
depecheanix's Avatar
depecheanix is fgsdoi dsn dsnfm ods
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 18,692
Default

Am I the only one that when watching Spaghetti Westerns never gets the feeling that they are in America. I know that they were all shot in Spain or Italy but I mean it's almost as if they didn't care as to how American the films looked. The non Americanness is pushed even further by having tonnes of European actors in them.

I love it though it definitely adds to the charm.
__________________
depecheanix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:14 AM   #29
Doc
It... Won't... Die...
 
Doc's Avatar
Doc is a hillbilly.
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Across the Burning Sands
Posts: 10,490
Send a message via AIM to Doc
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by depecheanix View Post
Am I the only one that when watching Spaghetti Westerns never gets the feeling that they are in America. I know that they were all shot in Spain or Italy but I mean it's almost as if they didn't care as to how American the films looked. The non Americanness is pushed even further by having tonnes of European actors in them.

I love it though it definitely adds to the charm.
They always feel like they're in Mexico to me. Which is the one thing that always throws me when I watch The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.
__________________
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:18 AM   #30
MikeBonomo
It... Won't... Die...
 
MikeBonomo's Avatar
MikeBonomo is festival circuit with Assassins
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 14,335
Send a message via AIM to MikeBonomo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by depecheanix View Post
Am I the only one that when watching Spaghetti Westerns never gets the feeling that they are in America. I know that they were all shot in Spain or Italy but I mean it's almost as if they didn't care as to how American the films looked. The non Americanness is pushed even further by having tonnes of European actors in them.

I love it though it definitely adds to the charm.
I never once even considered that, but now that you mention it, hell yeah, doesn't look like America at all :P
__________________
Assassins"Official Facebook Page"

Check out my NEW official website HERE.
MikeBonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2001-Present BLOODY-DISGUSTING LLC