The Best Splatterpunk Book - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > General Talk > Books, Magazines, Literature, etc..

Books, Magazines, Literature, etc.. Some of us really do know how to read!

Old 05-27-2007, 10:29 AM   #1
Connoseiur of Gore
Fresh Kill

Connoseiur of Gore has no status.

Default The Best Splatterpunk Book

WHat is the best splatterpunk book? If anyone out there reads books, I'd be happy to hear opinions. (I'm partial to Clive Barker's Books of Blood)
Connoseiur of Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 12:29 PM   #2
Chainsaw Suicide
Send... More... Paramedics

Chainsaw Suicide has no status.

Send a message via MSN to Chainsaw Suicide

probably Bighead or Family Tradition, both by Ed Lee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_01976 View Post
I have never done drugs and I never will. I was even the best student in the D.A.R.E. program back in the 80s.
Chainsaw Suicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 02:21 PM   #3
ZantiMisfit
Rotting Corpse

ZantiMisfit is never going to see the Eagles win a Super Bowl in his lifetime

Do the mods here move posts obviously in the wrong sub-forum to the right place?

Anyway, some more "splatterpunk" books/authors I like are:

John Skipp and Craig Spector: especially The Light at the End, The Clean-up, The Scream, The Bridge, and their work as editors for The Book of the Dead

Joe R Lansdale: The Nightrunners, The Drive-In, and any of his multiple short-story collections (it's hard to keep track, since many of the same stories appear in multiple books)

If Richard Laymon qualifies, then books like The Cellar, Funland, Travelling Vampire Show
ZantiMisfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 02:37 PM   #4
brokenandtwisted

brokenandtwisted is thinking about becoming an alcoholic.

Send a message via MSN to brokenandtwisted Send a message via Yahoo to brokenandtwisted

Splatterpunk = subgenre of horror with graphic violence, correct?

Well...Birdman by Mo Hayder definitely falls into this category...

Birdman Mo Hayder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket
With the forensic acumen of Patricia Cornwell and the atmosphere of Lynda La Plante''s Prime Suspect series, Birdman - already an international sensation prior to publication - introduces a troubled homicide detective battling the demons of his past while facing the psychopath of the century.

In the chilling opening to Birdman, the bodies of five women are found, ritualistically mutilated and dumped on wasteland in Greenwich, England. When post-mortem examinations reveal a single, horrific signature linking the victims - a tiny bird sewn into each chest - the police realize they are on the trail of a serial killer with a terrifying mind.

Detective Inspector Jack Caffery, young,driven, unshockable, finds himself facing both hostilities within the force and his own memory of a lethal failure, as he struggles to unravel the most macabre murders he''s ever seen. Now, as he employs every weapon science can offer, he knows he has little time before the sadistic killer strikes again. But he has so little evidence. All he has are five mutilated corpses and five dead little birds.

Mo Hayder - with a keen psychological insight, brilliant forensic and procedural detail, and a psychically wounded but charismatic lead investigator - has written a first novel of raw intensity and deep understanding that will thrill the hearts of the most demanding readers of crime fiction.
Amazon...

I encourage you to read the reviews...the book is extremely disturbing and I enjoyed it more than The Silence of the Lambs (it's that great). Highly recommended...

Forward, not permanent, sweet, not lasting.
brokenandtwisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 04:19 PM   #5
Connoseiur of Gore
Fresh Kill

[QUOTE=brokenandtwisted;734584]Splatterpunk = subgenre of horror with graphic violence, correct?

yeah, it is. Also, Clive Barker created the subgenre with Books of Blood.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:41 PM   #6
brokenandtwisted

brokenandtwisted is thinking about becoming an alcoholic.

Send a message via MSN to brokenandtwisted Send a message via Yahoo to brokenandtwisted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connoseiur of Gore View Post

I beg to differ...Octave Mirbeau did with The Torture Garden in 1899. Barker is just well known, that's all.

Forward, not permanent, sweet, not lasting.

Last edited by brokenandtwisted; 05-27-2007 at 06:43 PM.
brokenandtwisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 10:42 PM   #7
The Engineer
Rotting Corpse

The Engineer has no status.

[QUOTE=Connoseiur of Gore;734651]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenandtwisted View Post
Splatterpunk = subgenre of horror with graphic violence, correct?

Barker is easily my favorite author, hands down. Whether or not he introduced "splatterpunk" (which is a very vague term anyway....does it just mean gore in book form? if so then its been around since shakespeare) doesnt really make a difference to me. Also, Ive always found it somewhat odd how many tout barker's early stuff (books of blood, cabal etc) as being so incredibly grisly. Yes, there are horrific occurences in those stories, but they are not laboriously exploited by spending pages worth of detail telling us every little bit of graphic violence. His prose acknowledges the horrors of his stories in a (for lack of a better word) classy manner; his descriptions of atrocities are weirdly beautiful, not starkly naked descriptions of gore that hit you over the head with the intent to repulse. Authors like Ed Lee (who is THE worst horror author ever) utilize such tactics, mainly because they need to pad 85% of their stories in order to fill a full legnth book. Reducing Barker to an author whose work can can be summed up as "splatterpunk" is a grave disservice. Oh, and not for nothing, but I am as big a gorehound as you'll ever meet....so its not as if im turning my nose up at the down and dirty aspects of of our genre.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:55 PM   #8
mrbishop77
The Living Dead

mrbishop77 is slumming

I liked "The Bridge" by John Skipp and Craig Spector, but "The Scream" didn't do much for me.

I really like Poppy Z. Brite when she isn't writing about vampires. Her short story collection "Wormwood" is quite good. Her serial killer book "Exquisite Corpse" is gross as hell but not very satisfying in the end.

If you want a good taste of the genre, which I got into about 5 years ago and burnt out on quickly, check out the two short story compilations "Splatterpunks" and "Splatterpunks 2: Over the Edge" by Paul Sammon. Some pretty intense stuff in those books.
The Ultimate BD Quote Thread
mrbishop77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 08:11 PM   #9
Connoseiur of Gore
Fresh Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenandtwisted View Post
I beg to differ...Octave Mirbeau did with The Torture Garden in 1899. Barker is just well known, that's all.
I've never heard of Torture Garden. I think I'll check it out.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:49 PM   #10
Phantom 309
Not Dead Yet

Phantom 309 has no status.

American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis. Not sure if this works in the genre but the book is plenty gory. The only version that is available was supposedly edited just so it could be released. The book was banned in several countries and shrink wrapped and only sold to those over 18 in many others.
Phantom 309 is offline   Reply With Quote