Film Makers Thread - Page 67 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > The Fan Forum

The Fan Forum Post all your fan art here for everyone to enjoy. Fan Films, pictures, songs, poems, stories, whatever...

Old 07-29-2009, 08:33 PM   #661
Kupotek
Send... More... Paramedics

Kupotek is es un gato loco con un cuchillo.

Send a message via AIM to Kupotek

Quote:
Originally Posted by depecheanix View Post
Small suggestion. Always try to cut during an action and in to another action. When you fade out from you first shot in to the second seeing you start to walk jars it a little bit. I think it would look much cooler if you cut a second off the beginning of the second shot so you cut straight to you walking without showing you start to walk. If that makes any sense.

I dug it though, did you do everything on it?
Very good suggestion.
Kupotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:53 PM   #662
NewWorldOrder
Send... More... Paramedics

NewWorldOrder is BC 13 motha fuckas!

Send a message via AIM to NewWorldOrder

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a HORROR movie!!! View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B97LV4yfw5A

My new Short Film. Hope you like it, guys.
Good stuff. I definitely agree with Bono. What camera did you use?

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie: (7.5/10)
The Hurt Locker: (8.75/10)
Raging Bull: (10.0/10)
Umberto D.: (10.0/10)
The Wild Bunch: (9.5/10)
Ordinary People: (10.0/10)
Food Inc.: (8.0/10)
Road to Perdition: (8.5/10)
NewWorldOrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:08 AM   #663
I am a HORROR movie!!!
The Living Dead

I am a HORROR movie!!! is brooding...

Send a message via MSN to I am a HORROR movie!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWorldOrder View Post
Good stuff. I definitely agree with Bono. What camera did you use?
It was just a friends JVC DV cam, so far as I can remember. The exact model escapes me right now...

Psycho (1960) - Alfred Hitchcock
Bride of Frankenstein (1932) - James Whale
I Saw the Devil (2010) - Kim Jee-woon
Body Bags (1993) - John Carpenter
Beyond the Black Rainbow (2010) - Panos Cosmatos
Halloween II (1981) - Rick Rosenthal
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (1992) - David Lynch
The Descent (2005) - Neil Marshall
Cemetary Man (1994) - Michele Soavi
Cabin Fever (2002) - Eli Roth
I am a HORROR movie!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:59 AM   #664
Spun
Not Dead Yet

Spun is smoking a cigar while drinking Jack Daniels

I'm making a short horror film in September/October and will have quite a few questions to ask over the coming weeks but I'll start with a few now.

I need to order some props/make-up/SFX, any advice on shops? I have a budget of a few hundred which prices me out from big companies. I found http://www.dappercadaver.com and the prices are reasonable but i need to inquire about shipping to the U.K. Do you think the standard of props on this site will come up okay on film? (Mainly blood and wounds)

Secondly has anyone had experience with obtaining filming permission for locations? (especially in U.K)

Any help would be greatly appreciated and would really like to talk to someone who has experience with special make-up effects.

Thanks
Spun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:01 PM   #665
sirpsychotic1
Fresh Kill

sirpsychotic1 is completely insane

Some of those props looks pretty good, but a few come off cheezy. What exactly are you looking for? Either way they should look good as long as you arent dumb with them, you know?
And usually i just go and shoot someplace, the less people who know about it the better. If its a building i would talk to the owner or call the city or something if you cant get in.
sirpsychotic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:00 AM   #666
Malicious
Fresh Kill

Malicious has no status.

Send a message via MSN to Malicious
Default Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spun View Post
I'm making a short horror film in September/October and will have quite a few questions to ask over the coming weeks but I'll start with a few now.

I need to order some props/make-up/SFX, any advice on shops? I have a budget of a few hundred which prices me out from big companies. I found http://www.dappercadaver.com and the prices are reasonable but i need to inquire about shipping to the U.K. Do you think the standard of props on this site will come up okay on film? (Mainly blood and wounds)

Secondly has anyone had experience with obtaining filming permission for locations? (especially in U.K)

Any help would be greatly appreciated and would really like to talk to someone who has experience with special make-up effects.

Thanks
As far as props and spfx go the one main place we have used in the past is Monstermakers.com but a good amount of the stuff is like liquid latex, alginate and that kind of material for applying the effects. Chances are if you hire a practical special effects artist he or she will know an assortment of places to use for the actual appliances. Since you say its mainly blood and wounds that shouldnt be very hard at all. The appliances are what you need to worry about so everything looks right on camera. Best thing to do is post an ad for a special effects artist to work on your project and once you decide who you're going to use its all a matter of what you want to spend on the effects. Granted that a spfx artist's day and material rate may not be in the budget but when it comes to indie and low budget film there are always people out there who are willing to bend for the sake of the film.

As far as locations go I havent had any experience shooting outside of the united states but from what ive learned from my time scouting locations if you can get in good with the property owners/people in charge chances are you'll be able to score the location. Are you shooting in a small town or bigger city? If its a small town most of the time people get pretty damn excited about using their location in the film where most places in the city will probably have more restrictions/locations fee's, etc. Motel owners are usually really strict about not using their place because of the quality of customers and would rather stay loyal to their customers than see their motel featured in a film so keep that in mind. Do you have a location and shot list written up?
________
Ford Si6 Engine History

Last edited by Malicious; 03-21-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Malicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:49 AM   #667
Spun
Not Dead Yet

Thanks for the reply guys.

I'm shooting mainly in the suburbs (outdoors) of a big city (Sheffield) and believe i will be able to obtain a small crew permit for the majority of our locations. However i have the following locations;
- Behind a warehouse
- An isolated road leading up to properties
- A field (it has a public footpath but it looks like it could be farmland)

Not too sure how to approach these. I might send a letter to the residents of the road and see if there are any objections. I hope like you said malicous they will be excited about the filming and grant us permission.

As for the make up, i have thought about hiring someone but i can't afford too much pay. I might advertise and see if anyone is interested after all we are students and this is a learning experience for everyone involved. The violence will also be minimalist and obscured so i hope to get away with the less costly props.

The exact props are sledgehammer, blood, wounds and a retractable syringe ($50 seems pricey for a syringe but i can't find cheaper anywhere else.)

Also malicious i see you have made SERIAL: Amoral Uprising, I'll definitely check it out sometime, be great to see your work.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:44 PM   #668
Malicious
Fresh Kill

Malicious has no status.

Send a message via MSN to Malicious
Default Go

- The warehouse shouldnt be a problem depending on the area. If you're going to be outside of a city chances are you may be able to find something close to an industrial park. Just let the cops know what you're doing so they have that much to go on. Thats just a good rule to keep in general. If you're going to shoot in an area talk to the police weeks beforehand so they know whats going on. That can also help you with your locations. They can check who owns the certain locations and who you would need to talk to about getting permission. There's always the theory of filming what you can and getting the hell out of dodge but that's no way to shoot a film in my opinion.

-Road. Find out who owns the road. Is it a public or private road?

-Field. Same premise with the road. Again, the police will probably be a big help.

Also when it comes to scoring locations owned by individual people one thing i always do is start off by saying we're shooting something that isnt going to be that much of a hassle, promise to be professional and prepared and depending who im talking to I tell them that they will get credit in the film (end credits listing property owners in the Special Thanks section) for letting me shoot there on top of offering them (or their friends) a spot as an extra in the film. Just keep them happy. Thats the key.

I also appreciate your interest in my film so just pm me when you get a chance with your shipping info and ill make sure I get a copy sent your way. Let me know how the shoot goes and remember...

1. Always be prepared for anything. Do a check list with the script to make sure everything you need will be around at any point in time.

2. Stick to schedule. No matter how big or small your project might be time can be your worst enemy when it comes to independent film making. Make sure everyone has a copy of the schedule and that they stick to it.

3. Try your best to keep a good sense of energy on set. People need to like what they're doing and like working with you. Keeping their spirits up is one major role as director. Make sure you have food around at all times (oreos, soda, granola, chips just as an example).

Other than that just stick to the script and kick some ass on set as much as you possibly can. Good luck!
________
Honda Torneo

Last edited by Malicious; 03-21-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Malicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:21 PM   #669
Spun
Not Dead Yet

Thanks for the advice man, It's greatly appreciated.

I will be filming late September/early October and will keep everyone updated with how it goes and gladly share the film.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:21 PM   #670
Spun
Not Dead Yet

I'm visiting the shooting locations in a few weeks to do some testing etc. so am looking for some advice on things that i may have overlooked.

I'll check what the props and gore looks like on camera as well as finding camera angles etc.

I'm worried about lighting for the film as most of it will be shot in the woods at night, any advice?