The Exorcist (1973) - Page 3 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Horror Movies > Golden Age

Golden Age Horror movies from the 1960's - 1980's.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:10 PM   #21
Slasher Freak
It... Won't... Die...

Slasher Freak is BACK?

Location: Livin' on Failure St. Two blocks south of Pathetic My Zipcode? All Zeroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdealblues View Post
I don't think it's overrated...but I think about it this way. Most of the people on here are guys who have spent their whole lives watching Freddy and Jason and all the other horror movie franchises and what not and have pretty much been desensitized to most films.

But now, pretend you've never seen any of those movies, because they haven't been made yet. The only real scary movie that's really been around is Night of the Living Dead which some people found scary but others didn't. My dad for instance never found zombies scary when he saw it back in the 60's. He though and still thinks they're stupid. I love them but anyway...

Then also look at the fact most people are religious in this country, or at least were god fearing people in the 1970's. A film like this scared a lot of people and touched on some serious taboos.

Or easier yet...pretend your a woman and your little girl is ramming a cross between her legs and screaming let Jesus fuck you. Nobody had seen anything like that before and a simple god fearing mother might get a little freaked out at that sight...lol.

So is it as scary today to a lot of people who have seen all sorts of horror movies. No, it's not. But it doesn't make it overrated. It's just a generational difference...in my opinion at least.
Agreed!

If You Can't Find A Friend, Make One
Slasher Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:20 PM   #22
realdealblues
Not Dead Yet

realdealblues has no status.

Thanks mate, cheers...
realdealblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 05:35 PM   #23
mcilroga
Rotting Corpse

mcilroga is going to be twelve for a very long time.

Good to see some responses. Never thought this thread would take off...
mcilroga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 05:43 PM   #24
PIMPIN2MH
Not Dead Yet

PIMPIN2MH has no status.

I thought it was very good for it's time. You gotta think about when it came out, nobody ever seen anything like that before.
PIMPIN2MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 05:49 PM   #25
J-Syxx
Fresh Kill

J-Syxx has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdealblues View Post
I don't think it's overrated...but I think about it this way. Most of the people on here are guys who have spent their whole lives watching Freddy and Jason and all the other horror movie franchises and what not and have pretty much been desensitized to most films.

But now, pretend you've never seen any of those movies, because they haven't been made yet. The only real scary movie that's really been around is Night of the Living Dead which some people found scary but others didn't. My dad for instance never found zombies scary when he saw it back in the 60's. He though and still thinks they're stupid. I love them but anyway...

Then also look at the fact most people are religious in this country, or at least were god fearing people in the 1970's. A film like this scared a lot of people and touched on some serious taboos.

Or easier yet...pretend your a woman and your little girl is ramming a cross between her legs and screaming let Jesus fuck you. Nobody had seen anything like that before and a simple god fearing mother might get a little freaked out at that sight...lol.

So is it as scary today to a lot of people who have seen all sorts of horror movies. No, it's not. But it doesn't make it overrated. It's just a generational difference...in my opinion at least.
Well, I dont' think that's a great argument, that people who rate it highly haven't seen a lot of horror movies. That's like taking certain people like MTV's word that Metallica is the greatest rock band ever without knowing the genre.
J-Syxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 06:41 PM   #26
Under The Rose
Fresh Kill

Under The Rose has no status.

Default Overated? WTF!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by black coffee View Post
I don't think it's overrated. It deserves the praise it gets.

One of the greatest horrormovies ever and so ahead of its time.
Today's generation are used to seeing a full close up of people being disembowled...and that's horror...desensitization.

Back in 73', people were fainting in the theatre and panicking from this movie. It is a pillar of horror. One of the best. Untouchable. Mother/daughter/divorce/relationship, science vs. religion, etc... multi layered.

[QUOTE=Doc;661142]... Science fails early on, and ultimately faith fails as well. The only thing that really works in the end is when Damien drops his role as therapist, drops his role as priest, and assumes the role of Damien the boxer (a minor character trait introduced earlier in the film) and quite literally beats the demon out of her.../QUOTE]

That's a great perspective. I take back all the negative shit I thought of you.

Last edited by Under The Rose; 03-12-2007 at 06:43 PM. Reason: added the "t"
Under The Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 06:46 PM   #27
messiahofevil
Rotting Corpse

messiahofevil has no status.

I don't think it is over rated
messiahofevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 11:48 PM   #28
GDOGG2000
Not Dead Yet

GDOGG2000 has no status.

Send a message via ICQ to GDOGG2000 Send a message via AIM to GDOGG2000

It was great for its time.. its time has gone and now its overrated.. It just does nothing for me.. never did.. even when I was really really young and watched it I never really was scared i dunno to each his own..
GDOGG2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:16 AM   #29
cKy1711
Rotting Corpse

cKy1711 has no status.

Send a message via MSN to cKy1711

Over rated? Not at all. Great movie

cKy1711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:58 AM   #30
Slasher Freak
It... Won't... Die...

Slasher Freak is BACK?

Location: Livin' on Failure St. Two blocks south of Pathetic My Zipcode? All Zeroes

This movie is a 10/10 for me.

If You Can't Find A Friend, Make One
Slasher Freak is offline   Reply With Quote