What Book Did You Last Buy? - Page 104 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > General Talk > Books, Magazines, Literature, etc..

Books, Magazines, Literature, etc.. Some of us really do know how to read!

Old 11-28-2009, 11:51 PM   #1031
cheluvshorror
BANNED

cheluvshorror has no status.

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear Jew View Post
Under The Dome by Stephen King, but it's for Christmas....
That looks like a awesome novel! Open your present early!

I just bought Caleb Carr's, The Italian Secretary. He also wrote the Alienist, which I loved so much.

This novel is about Sherlock Holmes and I cannot wait to see Robert Downey Jr. portray him next month in the movie about this famous detective, with Jude Law playing Dr. Watson.
cheluvshorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:15 AM   #1032
The Bear Jew
It... Won't... Die...

The Bear Jew is the Sadie Saxton of BD...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheluvshorror View Post

I just bought Caleb Carr's, The Italian Secretary. He also wrote the Alienist, which I loved so much.

This novel is about Sherlock Holmes and I cannot wait to see Robert Downey Jr. portray him next month in the movie about this famous detective, with Jude Law playing Dr. Watson.

I wish I could open it early

I'm looking forward to Sherlock Holmes as well!
The Bear Jew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:19 AM   #1033
Kupotek
Send... More... Paramedics

Kupotek is es un gato loco con un cuchillo.

Send a message via AIM to Kupotek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheluvshorror View Post

Stephen King was on The View talking about Under the Dome, and I agree it does look interesting, too bad I'm in the middle of so many books right now.
Kupotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:23 AM   #1034
The Bear Jew
It... Won't... Die...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupotek View Post
Stephen King was on The View talking about Under the Dome, and I agree it does look interesting, too bad I'm in the middle of so many books right now.

I can't wait to start reading it! I heard it's a real page turner and even though it's a 1000+ pages it's so engrossing you can whip through it.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:25 AM   #1035
Kupotek

Quote:
I can't wait to start reading it! I heard it's a real page turner and even though it's a 1000+ pages it's so engrossing you can whip through it.
I'm not sure I"ll read it, simply because I think King tends to overdo it when it comes to over-describing characters to the point of ridiculous and unhelpful to the story. Seriously, every time I read a King book I feel like a few chapters could have been cut without impacting the story whatsoever.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:31 AM   #1036
The Bear Jew
It... Won't... Die...

Quote:
I'm not sure I"ll read it, simply because I think King tends to overdo it when it comes to over-describing characters to the point of ridiculous and unhelpful to the story. Seriously, every time I read a King book I feel like a few chapters could have been cut without impacting the story whatsoever.
From Amazon.com

Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan share their enthusiasm for Stephen King's thriller, Under the Dome.:

The first thing readers might find scary about Stephen King's Under The Dome is its length. The second is the elaborate town map and list of characters at the front of the book (including "Dogs of Note"), which sometimes portends, you know, heavy lifting. Don't you believe it. Breathless pacing and effortless characterization are the hallmarks of King's best books, and here the writing is immersive, the suspense unrelenting. The pages turn so fast that your hand--or Kindle-clicking thumb--will barely be able to keep up.

You Are Here.

Nobody yarns a “What if?” like Stephen King. Nobody. The implausibility of a dome sealing off an entire city--a motif seen before in pulp magazines and on comic book covers--is given the most elaborate real-life alibi by crafting details, observations, and insights that make us nod silently while we read. Promotional materials reference The Stand in comparison, but we liken Under The Dome more to King's excellent novella, The Mist: another locked-door situation on an epic scale, a tour-de-force in which external stressors bake off the civility of a small town full of dark secrets, exposing souls both very good...and very, very bad.

Yes, "The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street," but there is so much more this time. The expansion of King’s diorama does not simply take a one-street fable and turn it into a town, but finds new life for old archetypes, making them morally complex and attuned to our world today. It makes them relevant and affecting once again. And the beauty of it all is that the final lesson, the great insight that is gained at the end of this draining journey, is not a righteous 1950’s sermon but an incredibly moving and simple truth. A nugget of wisdom you'll be using as soon as you turn the last page.

This Is Now.

Along the way, you get bravura writing, especially featuring the town kids, and a delicious death aria involving one of the most nefarious characters--who dies alone, but not really--as well as a few laugh-out-loud moments, and a cameo (of sorts) by none other than Jack Reacher. Indeed--whether during a much-needed comfort break, or a therapeutic hand-flexing--you may find yourself wondering, "Is this a horror novel? Or is it a thriller?" The answer, of course, is: Yes, yes, yes.

"...the blood hits the wall like it always hits the wall."

It seems impossible that, as he enters his sixth decade of publishing, the dean of dark fiction could add to his vast readership. But that is precisely what will happen...when the Dome drops.

Now Go Read It. --Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan
Old 11-29-2009, 12:34 AM   #1037
Kupotek

I won't buy it in paper form, I care too much for trees to excuse such selfish extravagance, but I might pick it up in digital form.

Last edited by Kupotek; 11-29-2009 at 12:36 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:37 AM   #1038
The Bear Jew
It... Won't... Die...

Quote:
I won't buy it in paper form, I care too much for trees to excuse such selfish extravagance, but I might pick it up in digital form.

Do you have a Kindle?
Old 11-29-2009, 12:40 AM   #1039
Kupotek

Quote:
Do you have a Kindle?
ya, i bought a kindle not just for the convenience, the lack of dust in my house, accessibility, but because they are so much more ecologically friendly.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:44 AM   #1040
The Bear Jew
It... Won't... Die...

Quote:
ya, i bought a kindle not just for the convenience, the lack of dust in my house, accessibility, but because they are so much more ecologically friendly.

I've been thinking about getting one. How does it look when you read a book?