What Book Did You Last Buy? - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > General Talk > Books, Magazines, Literature, etc..

Books, Magazines, Literature, etc.. Some of us really do know how to read!

Old 01-07-2007, 06:12 PM   #1
Tool Shed
I Ban People

Tool Shed is swimming.

Default What Book Did You Last Buy?

I searched and nothing came up!

I re-bought Lords of Chaos to replace the one my dad lost!

Last edited by Tool Shed; 01-07-2007 at 09:29 PM. Reason: I suck at spelling
Tool Shed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 06:19 PM   #2
licata1708
It... Won't... Die...

licata1708 has no status.

The Wind-up Bird Chronicle
By Haruki Mirukami

BY LAURA MILLER| For a guy who rarely leaves his own block, Toru Okada, the decent, if hapless, hero of Haruki Murakami's new novel, "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle," has a lot of adventures. At the book's beginning, he's left his job as a paralegal and spends his days reading and cooking dinner for his magazine editor wife. First, an obscene phone call from a woman who seems to know him awfully well disrupts his sleepy routine. Then he meets Malta Kano, an enigmatic psychic who's supposedly searching for his lost cat; her sister, Creta, who dresses like Jackie Kennedy and relates a life history of overwhelming physical pain, attempted suicide, prostitution and a traumatic encounter with Toru's sinister brother-in-law, Noboru Wataya; Lt. Mamiya, a WWII vet who tells him of the atrocities he witnessed on the Mongolian front and Soviet prison camps; and, eventually, an extremely well-dressed mother-son duo who introduce him to an unusual way of making lots of cash. When he needs a break, he pals around with the 16-year-old girl who lives down the street -- or mulls things over while sitting at the bottom of a dry well behind a vacant house.

soruce:Salon.com

So Far I love it!

licata1708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 06:29 PM   #3
brokenandtwisted
Send... More... Paramedics

brokenandtwisted is thinking about becoming an alcoholic.

Send a message via MSN to brokenandtwisted Send a message via Yahoo to brokenandtwisted

Bloodletting and Miraculous Cures

With their scalpel-sharp prose and unflinching gaze, the stories in Bloodletting and Miraculous Cures introduce a powerful new voice in Canadian fiction.

In Bloodletting and Miraculous Cures, Vincent Lam holds in delicate and skillful tension black humour, investigations of both common and extraordinary moral dilemmas, and a sometimes shockingly realistic and matter-of-fact portrait of today’s medical profession.

He brings to vivid and convincing life the disparate but interdependent worlds of school and home, heartbreaking young love and life-altering fear in stories that introduce us to Fitz, Ming, Chen, and Sri, young medical school students and doctors in Toronto.

In “How To Get Into Medical School,” the impulsive Fitz and the ultra-rational Ming explore the possibilities of a relationship that is tested, first by the vigilance of a disapproving family and then by the extraordinary commitment demanded of medical students. In “Take All of Murphy,” three students face the challenge of their first dissection of a corpse — and the unusual quandary of deciding whether following the anatomy textbook or keeping a tattoo intact is more important. And in “A Long Migration,” perhaps the most lyrical of the stories, we see beyond Chen’s immediate world into the past of his family, and in particular that of his grandfather. Once a high-living and flamboyant member of the Chinese expatriate community in Saigon before the Vietnam War, now Percival Chen is dying in a Brisbane retirement home, and his grandson’s modern medical recommendations must make way for older potions that arrive for Percival from an older world.

Riveting and precise, Bloodletting and Miraculous Cures looks with rigorous honesty at the specificities of the lives of doctors and their patients and brings us to a deeper understanding of the challenges and temptations that surge around us all.

Bloodletting and Miraculous Cures is an astonishing literary debut, a collection of mature and intricate stories connected through the relationships that develop among a group of young doctors as they move from the challenges of med school to the intense world of emergency rooms, evac missions, and terrifying new viruses.

Pick it up! My vote - 9/10
brokenandtwisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 06:37 PM   #4
Alec_RA
Rotting Corpse

Alec_RA has no status.

Send a message via MSN to Alec_RA

I recently picked up a close to mint copy of my favorite book "Malevil" by Robert Merle (1973 first edition, english translation).

Alec_RA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:25 PM   #5
mR_BuNgLe
Time Cop

mR_BuNgLe has no status.

In this rare work of public disclosure, filmmaker David Lynch describes his personal methods of capturing and working with ideas, and the immense creative benefits he has experienced from the practice of meditation.

Source

Recent Flicks
The Guest - 4/5
The Editor - 4/5
Spring - 3.5/5
Cub - 2.5/5
What We Do In the Shadows - 4.5/5
Nightcrawler - 4.5/5
mR_BuNgLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 02:27 PM   #6
brokenandtwisted
Send... More... Paramedics

brokenandtwisted is thinking about becoming an alcoholic.

Send a message via MSN to brokenandtwisted Send a message via Yahoo to brokenandtwisted

Received At the Mountains of Madness by H.P. Lovecraft in the mail today. What's odd is that I read classics before contemporaries...yet never got around to this one. Hopefully it'll be a good read.
brokenandtwisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 02:44 PM   #7
Header
Rotting Corpse

Header has no status.

Send a message via MSN to Header

Off Season (because of the good feedback on BD about the book...you bitches better be right!)

You think when the guy came up with the idea to invent a bong, a blacklight popped up over his head?
-Mitch Hedburg
Header is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 04:09 PM   #8
alleywaykrew
It... Won't... Die...

alleywaykrew is back from the grave.

Send a message via AIM to alleywaykrew

I tend to get a lot of shit at once, so I don't know for sure. I suppose it was probably Charlie Huston's No Dominion or Rob Rodi & Esad Ribic's Loki hardcover.
Facebook
MySpace
alleywaykrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 04:31 PM   #9
Phantom 309
Not Dead Yet

Phantom 309 has no status.

The "Loki" hardcover was incredible. Some of the paintings were a little muddy but overall the story and art were both topnotch.
I recently bought a new copy of "Geek Love" since my ex stole my last one.
Phantom 309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 04:46 PM   #10
ImaCenobite
BANNED

ImaCenobite has no status.

Odd Thomas by Dean Koonz. This was a amazing and powerful novel. Had me gripped the whole time and the ending just moved me. Very sad. I had never read Koonz before, i've always been a King fan. Will definitely be reading the sequel Forever Odd. I just might have to look into other Koonz novels. Any suggestions?

Also I would like to recommend a hilarious and brilliant work of art titled:

Youth In Revolt

Check out more info about it here:

http://www.amazon.com/Youth-Revolt-C...e=UTF8&s=books
ImaCenobite is offline   Reply With Quote