Samurai Film Appreciation - Page 3 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > General Talk > Entertainment > Foreign Entertainment

Foreign Entertainment General talk about movies, tv, etc. from non US markets.

Old 10-26-2006, 12:09 PM   #21
Severn
It... Won't... Die...

Severn is thinking he would go back in time and nail Deborah Harry.

Send a message via AIM to Severn Send a message via MSN to Severn Send a message via Yahoo to Severn

SHINOBI: HEART UNDER BLADE

I've mentioned this movie before on it's own thread here but it should be mentioned again here.

This is a pretty good movie. At first I wasn't so sure when I saw it for the first time. Each time I've seen it's gotten better and better. It took me a while to appreciate it but it's become my favorite new generation Chambara film.

Highly Recommend.

TRAILER
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHTf1dHz9UI

- Frankenstein's Monster.

Last edited by Severn; 10-26-2006 at 12:28 PM.
Severn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 12:27 PM   #22
Severn
It... Won't... Die...

Send a message via AIM to Severn Send a message via MSN to Severn Send a message via Yahoo to Severn

Death Trance

Well here is another Chambara film. Not based on any comic or anime that I'm aware of. It stars the ever charismatic Tak Sakaguchi in a fictional setting. It's a samurai - sci-fi ish movie with machine gun swords. This movie isn't very good to be honest. It's an excuse to have Tak beat up people on film. At most this movie can only be someone's guilty pleasure. I don't see how it can be more than that. But it is a good time killer and yes they are planning a sequel.

TRAILER
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2qBxmA4x_Y

Old 10-26-2006, 02:59 PM   #23
Hyakotake
The Living Dead

Hyakotake has no status.

i thought "death trance" owed way too much to "versus"... the style and cinematography is similar, but plot- and pacing-wise "versus" wins by miles... id hardly call it chambara, but i guess you could, if youre REAL lenient with the genre definitions...
Old 10-26-2006, 03:18 PM   #24
Severn
It... Won't... Die...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyakotake
i thought "death trance" owed way too much to "versus"... the style and cinematography is similar, but plot- and pacing-wise "versus" wins by miles... id hardly call it chambara, but i guess you could, if youre REAL lenient with the genre definitions...
Well it's a samuarai period peice movie (and admittingly sci-fi ish). It's still a chambara film as were those low budget schloky movies from the 90's like "Reborn from Hell". Still Death Trance is in my opninion just an excuse to make Tak Sakaguchi look good, to have him beat people up. I felt at times like I was watching that old Van Damme movie Cyborg. so much action but I didn't care. Oddly enough he was most badass when he was playing the long hair guy in Shinobi Hear Under blade.

Old 10-27-2006, 01:38 AM   #25
Count Dragula
I Eat Brains!

Count Dragula has no status.

Send a message via AIM to Count Dragula Send a message via MSN to Count Dragula

Seeing how I posted above a bit on the often overshadowed Chambara legend Tatsuya Nakadai, I figured it would be only fitting to post some films by yet another often shafted Chambara juggernaut..

Director Hideo Gosha..

Sadly Gosha often gets overlooked in favor of the more prominently well known Akira Kurosawa, but with titles like the ones listed below it's impossible to deny the mans invaluable contribution to the Chambara genre..
  • Three Outlaw Samurai
  • Sword of the Beast
  • The Secret of the Urn
  • Samurai Wolf I & II
  • Goyokin
  • Tenchu
  • Bandits vs. Samurai Squadron
  • Hunter in the Dark

Below is an article that features a little insight into the man and his work..

A Director's Cuts: The Samurai Savvy Of Hideo Gosha

Once again, all badass flicks.. must sees for those interested in the genre.

Gosha has another film i've yet to check out entitled "The Wolves", which Nakadai just so happens to star in. It isn't Chambara this time round, but apparently a brutal gangster film set in the 1920's.. needless to say the idea intrigues me.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:45 AM   #26
Kamui_X
Send... More... Paramedics

Kamui_X is Infini-Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Dragula
Gosha has another film i've yet to check out entitled "The Wolves", which Nakadai just so happens to star in. It isn't Chambara this time round, but apparently a brutal gangster film set in the 1920's.. needless to say the idea intrigues me.
AnimEigo got the rights to that a couple months back, so it should be out eventually. They're a real small company though, so it might be a while. But good to know it's on the horizon.
Kamui_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 02:25 AM   #27
Count Dragula
I Eat Brains!

Count Dragula has no status.

Send a message via AIM to Count Dragula Send a message via MSN to Count Dragula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui_X
AnimEigo got the rights to that a couple months back, so it should be out eventually. They're a real small company though, so it might be a while. But good to know it's on the horizon.
That's good to hear, i've been eyeing what seems to be a Uk release over at HKFlix.. But with a 33$ price tag, and considering all the shit I already have to watch... may as well just wait on AnimEigo.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:27 AM   #28
CJ_01976
It... Won't... Die...

CJ_01976 is gone

Send a message via MSN to CJ_01976

You hear that the "Lone Wolf and Cub" film Darren Aronofsky is doing will be made as a western? Ugh. As much as I love westerns, this won't work as one.
CJ_01976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 02:34 AM   #29
Kamui_X
Send... More... Paramedics

Kamui_X is Infini-Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_01976
You hear that the "Lone Wolf and Cub" film Darren Aronofsky is doing will be made as a western? Ugh. As much as I love westerns, this won't work as one.
Yojimbo -> A Fistful of Dollars
Seven Samurai -> The Magnificent Seven

It could work, as these show...it really all depends on what story arc they choose.
Kamui_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 02:37 AM   #30
CJ_01976
It... Won't... Die...

CJ_01976 is gone

Send a message via MSN to CJ_01976

I already knew of those two, but those were made back in the golden age of film. They can't reproduce that these days.
CJ_01976 is offline   Reply With Quote