The Comic Book Discussion Thread - Page 883 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > General Talk > Books, Magazines, Literature, etc..

Books, Magazines, Literature, etc.. Some of us really do know how to read!

Old 02-12-2012, 03:38 AM   #8821
Erebus Dirge
Rotting Corpse

Erebus Dirge is dressing up his turds like barbie dolls with thedead flayed skins of his enemies

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancylives! View Post
i've been reading hellblazer off and on sice he first appeared, most recently about eight months ago. constantine is a wonderful character. the ennis-dillon years were my favorite.
Mine too! My favourite story arcs are when John travels through a hellish version of america and meet JFK, sees the statue of liberty getting raped and people begin eaten alive by swarms of money. Also the king of the vampires arc when john is down and out. The Family man series. I could go on and on.
Without trying to sound anti-US, britain needs to reclaim the Constantine character from the travisty of a movie, and make a Tv show that captures the spirit of the series, the perfect balance of everyday and supernatural horror,with a protagonist that uses his cunning
and playing both sides against the middle to gain the upper hand rather than runaround and blast shit with a "holy shotgun".

" The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind. " - H.P. Lovecraft

Read latest fiction " The Closet by rhill10" in DEMETIONS at http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/for...t=61754&page=5

Last edited by Erebus Dirge; 02-12-2012 at 04:05 AM.
Erebus Dirge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:26 AM   #8822
Erebus Dirge
Rotting Corpse

Erebus Dirge is dressing up his turds like barbie dolls with thedead flayed skins of his enemies

Criminal Macarbe vol 1 and 2 - Cal Macdonald is basically mix of John Constantine, John Maclane from Die hard and Hunter S. Thompson, keeping himself heavily medicated in order to deal with all the wild supernatural shit that's going on around him.
Hardboiled,tough-talking and chain smoking.
He spends a lot of his time brusied and blooded, with band-aids and bandages to plug his various wounds.
There's no real explanation, on why all of a sudden he began his paranormal investigators career, or why he's the only one who can see certain supernatural types while others can't such as ghouls. Though I suspect it has something to do with his drug abuse maybe he had a near OD at some point survived and now has that sub-conscious ability, but this is pure conjecture.
He does'nt observe folk-lore such as silver etc, but rather just shoots or beats/stabs/hacks at monsters until they stop moving.
As a result it has a kind of hip, surreal kind of beat/horror feel, with some cool kitch horror art, often using using classic monsters.

With vampires, werewolves and other monsters talking and dressing like people it kinds of reminds you of a more foul mouthed and x-rated Angel. Especially since it's mostly set in a monster infested L.A.

Macdonald's adventures, along with his ghoul partner Mo'lok should be taken with a pinch of salt, they are more horror/action/comedy rather than horror with elements of black comedy such as the Hellblazer series. Though this does not take away their entertainment factor, it's material is screaming out for a movie to be made.

Read latest fiction " The Closet by rhill10" in DEMETIONS at http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/for...t=61754&page=5
Old 02-12-2012, 05:01 AM   #8823
Erebus Dirge
Rotting Corpse

This feels like the movie that the Nick Cage movie Drive Angry, should have been...
If Cal Macdonald is the supernatural equivalent of John Maclean then DftD's protagonist Alabaster Graves is The Transporter. Alabaster Graves is a "specialty driver" than means he takes on the weirdest and most dangerous funeral driving jobs from the occult circles within the Deep South and New Orleans area. A typical job for him its being hired to transport and dispose of a newly turned vampire. The main story follows him being hired to retrieve and guard the remains of a New Orleans Voodoo priest/exorcist by the deceased great granddaughter.
The villain of the piece is the vile, Fallow a necromancer/litch in a constant state of decay, he's Like a mixture of The creeper from Jeepers Creepers, Syler from the Heros Tv series, and Terror from the comic book Terror inc. Intent on harvesting parts from the said " client" so that he can acquire power from his remains. It's up to Graves to make sure that doesn't happen, along the way he encounters a indestructible werewolf, a witch, as well as hoards of Fallows undead minions. With his souped-up/tricked out Hearse - Black Betty ( yep, after the Ram Jam song)
plus enough weapons to take over a small country. Graves blasts, slashes and burnouts his way to victory. At some point it's alluded to that he is an embodiment of the ferryman " Charon" as well. Though this is glossed over with all the action movie style madness.
High on entertainment but low on suspense and scares, but still worth checking out..

Last edited by Erebus Dirge; 02-12-2012 at 05:07 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:12 PM   #8824
mR_BuNgLe
Time Cop

mR_BuNgLe has no status.

Little tidbits like this excites me:

FEB 6, 2012 9:10 AM

Alan Moore announced that he's working on a new League of Extraordinary Gentlemen project with Kevin O'Neill, the 48-page one-shot comic Nemo: Heart of Ice.

In this comic — which takes place in Antarctica in the 1920s — Jules Verne will collide with H.P. Lovecraft. "It takes place in Antarctica and [the work of H.P. Lovecraft] is a major component. You figure it out," promised Moore. If all goes according to plan, Heart of Ice will be out by the end of 2012.

source

Recent Flicks
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me - 10/10
For a Few Dollars More - 10/10
Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy - 8/10
Guardians of the Galaxy - 8/10
Escape from the Planet of the Apes - 7/10
mR_BuNgLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:58 AM   #8825
horror_movie_girl
It... Won't... Die...

horror_movie_girl is checking into Arkham Asylum

Send a message via Yahoo to horror_movie_girl

Caught up on Severed great comic I am kinda surprised they get away with what they put in there sometimes.

I also got caught up on Batgirl, Batwoman, Daken and Batman..

My Pet Zombie Hates Your Guts But Loves Your Brain!!

Special Thanks to H.P. Pufncraft for making you want to click on my brain!!

My Horror Musings with a Psychotic Twist
Welcome to the Asylum: You Know You're Certifiable
horror_movie_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:53 PM   #8826
Mr. Bill
BD's Official Thunder Buddy!

Mr. Bill is going to show that bitch a scary movie... bitches love scary movies

My facebook page...
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Horro..._type=bookmark

My film collection...
http://billsmovies.filmaf.com/owned 5001 films and counting
Mr. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #8827
horror_movie_girl
It... Won't... Die...

I read some of Terrance Zundich (Repo the Genetic Opera) comic The Molting it is pretty good.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:23 PM   #8828
pumkinheadfan
The Living Dead

pumkinheadfan is happy that there are 2 BD boards

Finished this recently:

I quit reading it for a bit because I wanted to pick up the rest of the volumes to continue reading the series. So recently I got the next 3 volumes and picked up reading this again.
Also read these:
Old 07-29-2012, 09:50 AM   #8829
TheDarkPoet41
Death's Handmaiden

TheDarkPoet41 is watching Nordic cinema... alone!

Steve Niles, creator of "30 Days of Night", has a new comic featured in the new Diamond's Preview catalog called "Transfusion".

In a future overrun by out-of-control machines and monsters, a handful of human survivors try to fight their way back to a normal life. But what is normal in a world where both monsters and machines need human blood? And which are the real bad guys?

Life and death are one thread, the same line viewed from different sides.

TheDarkPoet41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #8830
horror_movie_girl
It... Won't... Die...

^^ Have you read Steve Niles Frankenstein Alive, Alive? That is really good.

I finished reading a ton of comics I had stashed away and I finished 30 Days of Night this morning. I will be reading X-Force Angels and Demons next.