The Comic Book Discussion Thread - Page 877 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > General Talk > Books, Magazines, Literature, etc..

Books, Magazines, Literature, etc.. Some of us really do know how to read!

Old 08-03-2011, 10:52 PM   #8761
menasyng
BANNED

menasyng is banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowfang View Post
Is this for real?

Spoiler Below
I heard some buzz about this. Had to stop collecting comics @ 3 years ago so don't know what's been going on really. I just read on characters using Wiki or Comicvine now and then. Are they really "killing" Peter Parker off only in Ultimate Spiderman or in the.. 616(?) main universe too?

I generally hate the killing of any characters. So many come back, that even if one never did, you still go to your death bed expecting them to return any issue now...

Yes it is for real, Emil BROnsky.

They already killed him in the Ultimate Universe. The 616 version is alive and well, but he has been dead to me since Brand New Day. Screw them for taking away my MJ!

Anyway, they introduced his replacement today. I commented on him already. Screw this. I've been reading Ultimate Spider-Man from day one. I have fallen in love with this version of the character and since they retconed 616 Peter Parker, this has been my only version of Spider-Man. Now, they not only give us that admittedly touching death, and replace him?! Screw that. I was expecting him to be placed into S.H.E.I.L.D Witness Protection under a new alias. The worst thing about this? Apparently Gwen Stacey and Aunt May will be mentoring this new kid.

I'm coming for you Bendis. BETRAYER!
menasyng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:56 PM   #8762
menasyng
BANNED

menasyng is banned.

On a bit of an awesome note, I finished the last issue of the Flashpoint: The Dark Knight of Vengeance.

This is honestly the best tie-in of the entire event. As a matter of fact this one book has made up for not only this crappy event, but the last 2 events.

Read it. If you have to, download all three issues. Or, just read my posts about the other two in this thread.

Spoiler Below
This one did not disappoint. Martha "Joker" Wayne is dead. When Thomas asked her if they should sacrifice themselves to re-instate the world where Bruce is alive, she said yes. When she asked what he did with his life and Thomas told her he became Batman, she went crazy again and ran away. Falling down that infamous hole on Wayne grounds that leads to what would become the Batcave. Dying from the fall.

Excellent story.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:30 PM   #8763
Willowfang
has gone to plaid

Willowfang is half Thundercat on his childhood's side

Cool. but yeah, I hated Brand New Day, I quit collecting in the middle of it, never saw the finish.

I remember reading something that the real point of BND was to make Peter single again.

That's another thing I got to hate about comics was all the romantic relationships. Generally, characters are more interesting when they have one, but comics then seem to abhor permanent couples. The writers seem to not like writing for such couples so we get a short relationship and then a forced break-up.

Broken relationships seem as inevitable as dead characters coming back to life.
Yoda
Beverly Hillbillies
She Drives Like Crazy
Gump
The Saga Begins
It's All About the Pentiums
Grapefruit Diet
White & Nerdy
Canadian Idiot
Smells Like Nirvana
Inactive
Eat It
Foil
Willowfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:00 AM   #8764
menasyng
BANNED

menasyng is banned.

Quote:
Cool. but yeah, I hated Brand New Day, I quit collecting in the middle of it, never saw the finish.

I remember reading something that the real point of BND was to make Peter single again.

That's another thing I got to hate about comics was all the romantic relationships. Generally, characters are more interesting when they have one, but comics then seem to abhor permanent couples. The writers seem to not like writing for such couples so we get a short relationship and then a forced break-up.

Broken relationships seem as inevitable as dead characters coming back to life.
You can thank one person for MJ getting ousted. Joe Quesada. He has used his position to get rid of a character he dislikes, and the masses seem to be fine with it. I don't know why. MJ was the Marvel equivalent of Lois Lane. A relationship that has been cemented time and time again. One made out of tragedy and has stood the test of time, until Joey Q threw his weight around. Now, we have an Peter Parker who is dating some other tart. He isn't even dating around either. This chick had been his girlfriend for a while in the comics. They used the excuse that retconing his marriage would open up more dramatic romantic story lines. I have yet to see one.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:37 AM   #8765
Willowfang
has gone to plaid

That's a pretty bad reason.

If you can't write the story, let someone else do it.

Don't even kill off shitty villains.

I remember back with the Scourge stories they killed off a ton of goofy and/or minor villains, all the Justin Hammer creations and such (in Marvel). Sure it made for "good" stories at the time, but then later even they admit regretting it.

A character may stay of the shelf for a long time, but sooner or later someone is likely to dust it off and use it again.

Even the X-Men went in to nothing but reprints for years. Villains get made over and reappear 20 years later.
Yoda
Beverly Hillbillies
She Drives Like Crazy
Gump
The Saga Begins
Grapefruit Diet
White & Nerdy
Canadian Idiot
Smells Like Nirvana
Inactive
Eat It
Foil
Old 08-04-2011, 07:58 AM   #8766
menasyng
BANNED

menasyng is banned.

Quote:
That's a pretty bad reason.

If you can't write the story, let someone else do it.

Don't even kill off shitty villains.

I remember back with the Scourge stories they killed off a ton of goofy and/or minor villains, all the Justin Hammer creations and such (in Marvel). Sure it made for "good" stories at the time, but then later even they admit regretting it.

A character may stay of the shelf for a long time, but sooner or later someone is likely to dust it off and use it again.

Even the X-Men went in to nothing but reprints for years. Villains get made over and reappear 20 years later.
Joe Q just didn't like her. He felt as though she was a waste of what could ultimately be good stories. Which would be nice if they actually made said stories. Hell, in the past they have had the two break up and Peter went out with someone else (Black Cat) I don't see why they couldn't have just done that. I think they just painted themselves into a corner with him revealing his identity in Civil War and them killing Aunt May.

As for the villains thing, funny you should mention that. During the Death of Spider-Man story that was just publishes in Ultimate Spider-Man, Aunt May comes to Peter's aid and shoots and kills Ultimate Electro a he was about to attack an almost comatose Peter. It was bad-ass.

I generally enjoy the freedom they have in the Ultimate Universe. They can get away with killing off almost all of the X-men (including Wolverine) and a bunch of villains because it doesn't effect continuity of the "real" universe. The problem I have is killing off the flagship title character simply because you want a more racially diverse set of heroes. Which is ridiculous, because you could introduce this other kid as Tarantula without killing off a beloved character. Most people who read the book, like myself feel more attachment towards this version than the 616 version (for reasons previously mentioned).

The only interesting thing the Ultimate Universe has going for it is the line up they have set for the re-launch of Ultimate X-men. Wolverine's son and The Hulk are both on the team. Not to mention Jean Grey, Liz Allen (she is the Ultimate version of Firestar) and an awesome version of Angel:

You might ask how this is possible considering that the Hulk isn't a mutant. Well, in the Ultimate Universe, there are no such things as mutants. As it turns out, they are a result of a genetic experiment done to replicate the Super Soldier Serum. The serum somehow went viral and you have an entire generation of super-people. This information was revealed during Ultimatum. Seriously. Look it up.

Last edited by menasyng; 08-04-2011 at 08:01 AM.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:30 AM   #8767
Willowfang
has gone to plaid

I had been collecting some Ultimate titles, that's kinda cool about the non-mutants.

You remind me of another "downfall" of comics too.

Sooner or later people come up with new character, some become really popular, some just disappear in a year or so. No surprises there. But the thing is popular characters become the universe's own worst enemy.

X-Men make the easiest example. You got so many characters that are SOOO popular that you "can't" do away with or write out, that if you just didn't bite the bullet and force a character to leave the team for even then a forced reason, you'd have about 20-30 characters stuffed into the Blackbird for every mission.

The writers become victim to the character's popularity and some amount of fans are sure to be upset when someone leaves. But at the same time, if you don't change the line up, some amount of fans are sure to wander off too.

C'est la Vie
Yoda
Beverly Hillbillies
She Drives Like Crazy
Gump
The Saga Begins
Grapefruit Diet
White & Nerdy
Canadian Idiot
Smells Like Nirvana
Inactive
Eat It
Foil
Old 08-04-2011, 08:54 AM   #8768
menasyng
BANNED

menasyng is banned.

Quote:
I had been collecting some Ultimate titles, that's kinda cool about the non-mutants.

You remind me of another "downfall" of comics too.

Sooner or later people come up with new character, some become really popular, some just disappear in a year or so. No surprises there. But the thing is popular characters become the universe's own worst enemy.

X-Men make the easiest example. You got so many characters that are SOOO popular that you "can't" do away with or write out, that if you just didn't bite the bullet and force a character to leave the team for even then a forced reason, you'd have about 20-30 characters stuffed into the Blackbird for every mission.

The writers become victim to the character's popularity and some amount of fans are sure to be upset when someone leaves. But at the same time, if you don't change the line up, some amount of fans are sure to wander off too.

C'est la Vie
Exactly. I just think it is all ridiculous, though. Just give the fans what they want. They are the ones paying for you for the stories they want to read. Sadly, people won't put their foot down and stop buying comics when they make a change that is utterly retarded (MJ, Killing off Ultimate Peter).
Old 08-04-2011, 09:03 AM   #8769
acp35
The Living Dead

acp35 is Can't wait to meet Savini on the 14th at the Horrorfest!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by menasyng View Post
On a bit of an awesome note, I finished the last issue of the Flashpoint: The Dark Knight of Vengeance.

This is honestly the best tie-in of the entire event. As a matter of fact this one book has made up for not only this crappy event, but the last 2 events.

Read it. If you have to, download all three issues. Or, just read my posts about the other two in this thread.

Spoiler Below
This one did not disappoint. Martha "Joker" Wayne is dead. When Thomas asked her if they should sacrifice themselves to re-instate the world where Bruce is alive, she said yes. When she asked what he did with his life and Thomas told her he became Batman, she went crazy again and ran away. Falling down that infamous hole on Wayne grounds that leads to what would become the Batcave. Dying from the fall.

Excellent story.
Haven't missed a flashpoint or crossover yet. Amazingly well done universe. These are the quality of stories we should get in regular Batman.

BTW have you picked up any dc retroactive?
Old 08-04-2011, 09:06 AM   #8770
menasyng
BANNED

menasyng is banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acp35 View Post
Haven't missed a flashpoint or crossover yet. Amazingly well done universe. These are the quality of stories we should get in regular Batman.

BTW have you picked up any dc retroactive?
Nah. I don't really have any desire to read those. I'm too busy with everything else on my pull-list.