J.R.R. Tolkien discussion, etc. - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > General Talk > Books, Magazines, Literature, etc..

Books, Magazines, Literature, etc.. Some of us really do know how to read!

Old 02-11-2009, 08:31 PM   #1
Doc
It... Won't... Die...

Doc is a hillbilly.

Send a message via AIM to Doc
Default J.R.R. Tolkien discussion, etc.

I recently finished re-reading The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, The Silmarillion, and Lost Tales, and started reading Narn i ChÓn Hķrin, with the intention of also reading the entire History of Middle Earth series afterward... and have really grown to appreciate what a masterpiece the entire Middle Earth cycle is...

Anyone who is remotely interested in reading up on what I'm babbling about should check out this site:
http://www.glyphweb.com/ARDA/
It is sort of like a wiki for Tolkien material... but not open for edit.

Any other Tolkienites present? If so, can we talk about how ridiculously badass the stories leading to the various deaths of the assorted Noldor princes (Fingolfin especially) are?

Old 02-11-2009, 09:08 PM   #2
mR_BuNgLe
Time Cop

mR_BuNgLe has no status.

I read The Hobbit and the LOTR trilogy years ago and have been meaning to explore more of it since. Everything I know about The Silmarillion I learnt from Blind Guardian's Nightfall in Middle Earth. (brilliant)

More than anything else, reading these books at young age opened the door to more great fantasy series' that have been taking up the majority of my reading time since. I eat all of this fantasy shit up... surprise.

Last edited by mR_BuNgLe; 02-11-2009 at 09:11 PM.
mR_BuNgLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:08 PM   #3
hayes31
Rotting Corpse

hayes31 has no status.

i went through a huge phase that didn't stop with the hobbit and the trilogy, after i read the silmarillion, i just got sucked into middle earth as a whole, not just the story of the ring... as a universe, there's nothing more complete, you could tell it was a labor of love. absolute genius.
hayes31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:09 PM   #4
hayes31
Rotting Corpse

hayes31 has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mR_BuNgLe View Post
I read The Hobbit and the LOTR trilogy years ago and have been meaning to explore more of it since. Everything I know about The SilmarillionI learnt from Blind Guardian's Nightfall in Middle Earth. (brilliant)

More than anything else, reading these books at young age opened the door to more great fantasy series' that have been taking up the majority of my reading time since. I eat all of this fantasy shit up... surprise.
hate to double post... but whatever.

just wanted to give you props on blind guardian, that's pretty badass
hayes31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:16 PM   #5
Caustic Coffee
Abuser of Power

Caustic Coffee is the I in team.

The Hobbit and the ensuing trilogy were some of the first larger books I read as a child and I loved them. I don't know why I never got into the other series, maybe because I stumbled on Stephen King or I discovered masturbating.

Maybe I'll have to go back and check those other series out one day.
Caustic Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:07 AM   #6
Noody
Fresh Kill

Noody is ..am I facing the right way?

J. R. R. Tolkien is definitely my favourite author, hands down.
I love all his works (working on all History of Middle Earth volumes.. gradually).

What's especially brilliant is his son compiling all his manuscripts after he passed away and bringing out the complete works for everyone to appreciate.

Middle Earth will always be the most established and complete fantasy world. That in itself is pretty impressive.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:27 AM   #7
pumkinheadfan
The Living Dead

pumkinheadfan is happy that there are 2 BD boards

I have all of the middle earth books I think. I picked up 2 or three book sets of the middle earth stuff as well as the Hobbit. I really want to get back into reading them, but just haven't found the time.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:06 PM   #8
dead breed
Super Moderator

dead breed is fire walk with me.

I've read LOTR Trilogy and The Hobbit. The Hobbit is always a personal favorite of mine. I love when they're traveling, how the scenery is described and etc.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:11 PM   #9
AbsorbantJellyfish
The Living Dead

AbsorbantJellyfish is throwing frisbees at the sun.

i love the hobbit and the lord of the rings, haven't read any of the historical books or side stories tho. i'm really into the dark tower series by stephen king right now, almost done with the last book. check that out tho, it's just as epic as the lord of the rings or the potter series. and it references dozens of other mythologies including lord of the rings and potter, while still somehow remaining original.

- Lester Freamon
AbsorbantJellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:33 PM   #10
Noody
Fresh Kill

Noody is ..am I facing the right way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsorbantJellyfish View Post
i love the hobbit and the lord of the rings, haven't read any of the historical books or side stories tho. i'm really into the dark tower series by stephen king right now, almost done with the last book. check that out tho, it's just as epic as the lord of the rings or the potter series. and it references dozens of other mythologies including lord of the rings and potter, while still somehow remaining original.
The Dark Tower series is fantastic, but not in the same league as Tolkien.
He dedicated around 20 years of his life to creating Middle Earth!