Inland Empire (2006) - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > General Talk > Entertainment

Entertainment General talk about movies, tv, etc.

Old 09-19-2006, 06:05 AM   #1
WodenHorde
The Living Dead

WodenHorde is weeping for the future.

Default Inland Empire (2006)

(No idea if this was posted already. If it has, then I apologise ...)

The movie was screened recently at the Venice Film Festival. Here is one of the first reviews for it ...

http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...archived=False

From the looks of it, it sounds like we have another "mind-fuck" on our hands here. Can't wait to see this damn thing.

----------

This is another article of a press conference with Lynch that was held in Venice ...

Venice Honors David Lynch
By Mike Collett-White Wed Sep 6, 11:34 AM ET

Understanding director DAVID LYNCH's films is never easy. But with his new picture "Inland Empire" the master of mystery and the macabre is more impenetrable than ever, prompting a journalist to jokingly ask about his mental health.

In his latest collaboration with actress Laura Dern, Lynch, who receives a Golden Lion lifetime achievement award from the Venice Film Festival later on Wednesday, blurs the boundaries between one story and the next, and between dream and reality.

Nearly three hours long, the most obvious plotline centers around the making of a movie and how the lead actress fears the wrath of her husband when she has an affair with her co-star.

But where that story begins and others, including one set in Poland, begin, is impossible to tell.

Asked if the film was supposed to make sense, Lynch told a news conference following a press screening: "It's supposed to make perfect sense."

Lynch relies heavily on the score to create tension and atmosphere, and the movie features a series of claustrophobic scenes following characters down darkened corridors and fearfully entering darkened rooms.

Lynch was in no mood to help journalists fathom the film's meaning.

The next lines in the article are very interesting and could be a possible spoiler concerning the plotline. Apparently there will be "cameos". POSSIBLE SPOILER WARNING (Highlight below to read)
The "Rabbits" are in the movie ! ... When asked to explain the appearance of three actors wearing rabbits' heads, one of whom stands in the corner doing ironing, the 60-year-old replied: "No, I can't explain that."

Another reporter asking about a different aspect of "Inland Empire" was told:

"I really would like to be able to explain, but the film ends up being the explanation. That's what's so terrible about press conferences. It's all about the film, not about the words."

And in reply to a question about his wellbeing, he said: "Thank you for asking. I'm doing really well."

KING OF WEIRD

The director of cult classic like "Eraserhead," "The Elephant Man" and "Mulholland Drive" and a television series that spawned a generation of copycats -- "Twin Peaks" -- suggested audiences tend to try too hard to find exact meaning in his work.

"You should be not afraid of using your intuition and feel, think your way through," he said. "Have the experience and trust your inner knowing of what it is."

Lynch explained how he launched into his latest project without knowing exactly what he wanted to do next, and Dern, who has starred in previous Lynch movies "Blue Velvet" and "Wild at Heart" called the experience "unique."

"We worked over the course of about 2-1/2 years and each day was a different direction, each day was a different idea because we did not have a script we were following," she said.

Lynch added: "Little by little by little it started revealing itself."

He stressed the importance of sound in making a picture, and attacked the now common practice of dubbing over films after they have been shot on camera.

"Cinema to me is sound and picture rolling along together in time and it's so important, the sound, how it goes with the picture, how it marries.

"I think that this dubbing of pictures has got to end. It ruins the picture, completely and totally ruins the picture."

Infini-Tropolis

Last edited by WodenHorde; 09-19-2006 at 06:10 AM.
WodenHorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 10:16 AM   #2
MikeBonomo
It... Won't... Die...

MikeBonomo is festival circuit with Assassins

Send a message via AIM to MikeBonomo

SOunds interesting. I'm very 50-50 on that guy. I've seen all his films, but I'm not sure if I like them, but I keep going back for reasons I can't explain. I don't know but I will definitly check it out...

Check out my NEW official website HERE.
MikeBonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:51 AM   #3
White_Rabbit
Send... More... Paramedics

White_Rabbit is about to kill you...Avada Kedavra!!

Send a message via AIM to White_Rabbit

Is it the Inland Empire in Southern California?
Old 09-19-2006, 11:57 AM   #4
Room 237
Rotting Corpse

Room 237 is Fatally Yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBonomo
SOunds interesting. I'm very 50-50 on that guy. I've seen all his films, but I'm not sure if I like them, but I keep going back for reasons I can't explain. I don't know but I will definitly check it out...
This definitely sums up my thoughts...and I keep returning hoping to get some more out of the films, but usually just end up with more questions than answers...

He definitely has a knack for intrigue, however confusing it may appear!

Infini-tropolis I the blood & the blade
Room 237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 08:46 PM   #5
WodenHorde
The Living Dead

WodenHorde is weeping for the future.

3 hours of Lynch (depending on who you are and if you like his style or not) can only be a good thing ... even though I'm sure it will be trimmed a bit when it gets a theatrical release here in the states.

I have a strange feeling this will be one of his most wackiest and best films. Only time will tell ... damnit I want this to come out already ! I need my Lynch fix !

Infini-Tropolis
WodenHorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 11:30 AM   #6
mR_BuNgLe
Time Cop

mR_BuNgLe has no status.

I'm an admitted Lynch fanboy and look forward to this flick like no other, especially after readin' shit like this:

'Understanding director DAVID LYNCH's films is never easy. But with his new picture "Inland Empire" the master of mystery and the macabre is more impenetrable than ever, prompting a journalist to jokingly ask about his mental health.'

His stuff is an absolute trip, emotionally enthralling and always fascinating.
mR_BuNgLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:32 PM   #7
sethmanson
I Eat Brains!

sethmanson is Dead to the world

Send a message via AIM to sethmanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Rabbit
Is it the Inland Empire in Southern California?
Thats where im at right now. w00t.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:05 PM   #8
deadhead33
Rotting Corpse

deadhead33 has no status.

Send a message via AIM to deadhead33

Another Lynch fanboy here. Can't wait !

I hear it has a very "Video Art" feel to it. As well as if your looking to understand it, you wont like it. From the word i've been getting its his most abstract work ever.

November release is in talks too.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:08 PM   #9
White_Rabbit
Send... More... Paramedics

White_Rabbit is about to kill you...Avada Kedavra!!

Send a message via AIM to White_Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethmanson
Thats where im at right now. w00t.

haha the IE...you don't listen to KGGI do you? 99.1?
Old 09-21-2006, 02:09 PM   #10
sethmanson
I Eat Brains!

sethmanson is Dead to the world

Send a message via AIM to sethmanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Rabbit
haha the IE...you don't listen to KGGI do you? 99.1?

....Hell no. 103.9 haha.