House of Cards (Netflix Original Series) - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > General Talk > Entertainment

Entertainment General talk about movies, tv, etc.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:59 PM   #1
Se7en
The Bad Guy

Se7en is ridin' round with the Pinocchio

Default House of Cards (Netflix Original Series)

Discuss
Old 07-30-2014, 10:28 PM   #2
damnenchiladas
Fresh Kill

damnenchiladas is making plutonium from common household items.

You've got to be kidding me. There is no thread for this until now?!?!?!

Either way.

How are spoilers going to work in here. I know both seasons are out but spoiling this show would be a tragedy.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:30 PM   #3
Se7en
The Bad Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnenchiladas View Post
You've got to be kidding me. There is no thread for this until now?!?!?!

Either way.

How are spoilers going to work in here. I know both seasons are out but spoiling this show would be a tragedy.
I know, right? Figured nobody here was fan until I had Heretic and Rev antagonize me for not liking season 2.

We're supposed to use spoiler tags but why would you be reading discussion if you weren't caught up?
Old 07-30-2014, 10:37 PM   #4
damnenchiladas
Fresh Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7en View Post
I know, right? Figured nobody here was fan until I had Heretic and Rev antagonize me for not liking season 2.

We're supposed to use spoiler tags but why would you be reading discussion if you weren't caught up?
Like a child who wanders into a movie theater, someone with inevitably come in here and ask "is this worth checking out" and end up reading something like...

Spoiler Below
I can't believe Frank got away with pushing Zoe Barns in front of that train and became President
Old 07-30-2014, 10:39 PM   #5
damnenchiladas
Fresh Kill

But yeah, without spoiling anything for now.

What amazes me about this show is its ability to dangle Frank on the edge of destruction only to see it all become part of the bigger plan. Sometimes you have to put yourself down to build yourself back up but holy shit does this show have me wondering after each episode how the fuck he's going to make it through the next one.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:45 PM   #6
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

The Revelator is being excellent

Send a message via AIM to The Revelator Send a message via MSN to The Revelator

I don't think I've ever loved such a unlikeable guy before.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:47 PM   #7
Se7en
The Bad Guy

Quote:
But yeah, without spoiling anything for now.

What amazes me about this show is its ability to dangle Frank on the edge of destruction only to see it all become part of the bigger plan. Sometimes you have to put yourself down to build yourself back up but holy shit does this show have me wondering after each episode how the fuck he's going to make it through the next one.
And that's a bit of a problem for me. I believed it in the first season. Frank always had a plan and every lie he told, or scheme he acted out occurred naturally and with purpose.

In the second season, Frank tries to do his regular shit but he's always on the edge, about to be ruined, only to glide through and exit without a scratch. I never feel any danger with him even though he's so close to fucking up because I know at the last second he's going to come up with some incredible plan to save his ass.

Don't even get me started on the dialogue.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:53 PM   #8
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

Quote:
And that's a bit of a problem for me. I believed it in the first season. Frank always had a plan and every lie he told, or scheme he acted out occurred naturally and with purpose.

In the second season, Frank tries to do his regular shit but he's always on the edge, about to be ruined, only to glide through and exit without a scratch. I never feel any danger with him even though he's so close to fucking up because I know at the last second he's going to come up with some incredible plan to save his ass.

I don't think the point is to necessarily feel that he's in immediate danger of being discovered in Season 2. After the end of the first episode he ultimately gains more and more power and is distanced from any immediate danger as each episode progresses (although he has a brush in or two with some problems, although they extend far beyond his personal secrets into things like national security, corruption and deception of the public). This is both his blessing and curse, because while he has definitely risen to unimaginably powerful heights, he's relying more and more on others close to him to keep him away from harm or being discovered... some of which may not be around any more (or for much longer). Season 2 was more political and all of the "dudes on FU's trail" stories were sort of detached from him... but are going to catch up to him whether he's aware of it or not.

It was a darker, more widespread and complicated season that progressed things perfectly.

Also the dialogue is great, maybe you should pay closer attention I can't possibly see what kind of bs issue you have with it.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:01 PM   #9
damnenchiladas
Fresh Kill

Quote:

But that is what his character does. And I know deep down he's going to find a way out of it, but I usually have no clue how he intends to do it.

Like I never expected him to end up
Spoiler Below
being sworn in as President
after all the shit he went through. But as they started swearing him in, it was only then I saw the trail of destruction and purposeful self-destruction he left in his wake.

Not sure where he goes for season 3, but I have a feel all that shit is going to have to come back and bite him in the ass some how.

What I really want to do is go back and watch the BBC version of the show to see how much they overlap. Although, I am scared to do so at the risk of spoiling something even if it's just the overall fate of the character. There is also the book...
Old 07-30-2014, 11:03 PM   #10
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

Quote:
But that is what his character does. And I know deep down he's going to find a way out of it, but I usually have no clue how he intends to do it.

Like I never expected him to end up
Spoiler Below
being sworn in as President
after all the shit he went through. But as they started swearing him in, it was only then I saw the trail of destruction and purposeful self-destruction he left in his wake.

Not sure where he goes for season 3, but I have a feel all that shit is going to have to come back and bite him in the ass some how.

What I really want to do is go back and watch the BBC version of the show to see how much they overlap. Although, I am scared to do so at the risk of spoiling something even if it's just the overall fate of the character. There is also the book...
Exactly!

He doesn't really have a nemesis or rival who seems capable of knocking him off of his high horse, but most certainly the show is building a lot of subplots and elements that will lead up to him either being truly challenged or being dethroned. His rise to power has been pretty swift but I don't think it's been entirely clean.