True Detective (HBO) - Page 39 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > General Talk > Entertainment

Entertainment General talk about movies, tv, etc.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:16 AM   #381
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

The Revelator is tired

Send a message via AIM to The Revelator Send a message via MSN to The Revelator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7en View Post
Put them on a new case.
No fucking way... they're way too old... part of the point of season 1 was to show how massive a toll the job took on them in 17 years (and they weren't super young guys at the beginning as it were).

Rust almost literally put his whole being into the case, and for all purposes they achieved their goal at the end of season 1... You honestly think they could realistically resurrect these characters in a new mystery that wouldn't seem overly repetitive or redundant? No way, they played their parts in the story and are ready to move on in their life... Let's see some new characters.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:21 AM   #382
Se7en
It... Won't... Die...

Se7en is on leave

I'm being argumentative for no reason at this point. It probably wouldn't be a wise decision to bring them back. Still think it would be nice to see some of the other stuff that wasn't explained in the first season expanded upon.

I wish the Chastain rumors were true
Se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:22 AM   #383
Rusted
Paranoid Android

Rusted has no status.

Send a message via MSN to Rusted

The problem is is that the first season created such an engaging character in Rust Cohle, and having that character in the circumstances he was in was just perfect, a perfect marriage of character and plot. Rust Cohle is why the first season went through the roof so they better have a character who's going to run rings around him.

It's way too early to speculate on season 2 but the casting and the proposed plot just aren't doing it for me.

I know it would be boring if the stories were all the same but I love the really dark, culty type stuff. The plot for season 2 sounds like a Chinatown rip off.
Rusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:24 AM   #384
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

The Revelator is tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusted View Post
The problem is is that the first season created such an engaging character in Rust Cohle, and having that character in the circumstances he was in was just perfect, a perfect marriage of character and plot. Rust Cohle is why the first season went through the roof so they better have a character who's going to run rings around him.

It's way too early to speculate on season 2 but the casting and the proposed plot just aren't doing it for me.

I know it would be boring if the stories were all the same but I love the really dark, culty type stuff. The plot for season 2 sounds like a Chinatown rip off.
Absolutely. Its tough to imagine a more interesting character than Cohle in this type of series.

But I said the same thing about Walter White before I saw this (although I don't necessarily think Cohle is a better character than Walter White) and many others before. Unless these writers are total hacks, I think we can see some more super interesting characters under our microscopes.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:26 AM   #385
Se7en
It... Won't... Die...

Se7en is on leave

Also not being talked about

Cary Fukunaga won't be directing all of the episodes again. I loved how much True Detective felt like one long movie (lol Rev) and there's no doubt a lot of that will be gone now with the show going being more traditional when it comes to the directorial side of things.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:29 AM   #386
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

The Revelator is tired

Quote:
I loved how much True Detective felt like one long movie (lol Rev).
lulz

Quote:
Also not being talked about

Cary Fukunaga won't be directing all of the episodes again. I loved how much True Detective felt like one long movie (lol Rev) and there's no doubt a lot of that will be gone now with the show going being more traditional when it comes to the directorial side of things.
I agree. It had a super contained, consistent style because of the same guy directing each episode.

There seems to be a lot working against season 2 but I remain positive. You guys are too negative

Old 08-07-2014, 12:38 AM   #387
Se7en
It... Won't... Die...

Se7en is on leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Revelator View Post
lulz

I agree. It had a super contained, consistent style because of the same guy directing each episode.

There seems to be a lot working against season 2 but I remain positive. You guys are too negative

Not a lot to be positive about at this point
Old 08-07-2014, 07:25 AM   #388
Heretic
It... Won't... Die...

Heretic is up to shenanigans

Quote:
Shows like these have entire production teams that maintain the vibe of the show. What great show ever suffered from having multiple directors? It's not like directors come on board to these shows, and are given complete creative control. Their job is to present the creator's vision as good as possible. The reason it was well crafted was the writing and acting. Direction too, but it's not like a new director is going to be allowed to fuck up. If the show is shit, it will be the writing.

Last edited by Heretic; 08-07-2014 at 07:30 AM.
Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:41 AM   #389
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

The Revelator is tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
Shows like these have entire production teams that maintain the vibe of the show. What great show ever suffered from having multiple directors? It's not like directors come on board to these shows, and are given complete creative control. Their job is to present the creator's vision as good as possible. The reason it was well crafted was the writing and acting. Direction too, but it's not like a new director is going to be allowed to fuck up. If the show is shit, it will be the writing.
I knew somebody was going to say this. I agree with you I was just too lazy to add more to my post. Obviously a whole team is responsible for the product. Still it's not hard to see how certain directors can bring a personal touch to their work (although I don't think we've seen enough of this guys work to say with certainty if he's a great director with a strong personal style).
Old 08-07-2014, 07:50 AM   #390
Heretic
It... Won't... Die...

Heretic is up to shenanigans

Quote:
I knew somebody was going to say this. I agree with you I was just too lazy to add more to my post. Obviously a whole team is responsible for the product. Still it's not hard to see how certain directors can bring a personal touch to their work (although I don't think we've seen enough of this guys work to say with certainty if he's a great director with a strong personal style).
There is a small handful of directors who have actually had an impact on these types of shows, and I don't even know how much credit I should be giving them. Regardless, it's always been for the positive. Guys like Neil Marshall for GOT, or Steve Buschemi for The Sopranos. On the flip side, there have been countless run of the mill directors who have done just fine with these shows.

Direction is not something I'd worry about too much. They'll hire folks who can get the job done.

Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote