The Bling Ring (2013) - Page 2 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > General Talk > Entertainment

Entertainment General talk about movies, tv, etc.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:54 PM   #11
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

The Revelator is tired

Send a message via AIM to The Revelator Send a message via MSN to The Revelator

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.P. Pufncraft View Post
Emma Watson sounds just like the real-life girl she's playing.

I heard she also took pole-dancing lessons for this movie.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:48 AM   #12
The Devil's Lyric
Rotting Corpse

The Devil's Lyric is a living reminder.

The only way I could fairly describe this movie is as an endurance test. Wow, that was bad! I'm not actually a fan of Sofia Coppola anyway, I think nepotism paved the way to a one-hit wonder with Lost In Translation and most of that movie's appeal was that it was a Bill Murray vehicle anyway. However, this is definitely her worst film to date. By a fucking longshot. Aside from the fact that you're forced to spend an hour and a half with possibly the most obnoxious, shallow and consumerist pack of assholes to ever be put on celluloid, they're also horribly acted by the main cast who appear to be shambolically ad-libbing throughout the entire movie.

Whatever script there is, it's extremely weak, and Coppola's seemingly careless execution of it just further cements my belief that she just isn't a very talented filmmaker. Try to imagine watching an unedited version of Keeping Up With the Kardashian's - that's what this feels like. Endless shots of people: flaunting infront of mirrors, dancing in nightclubs to annoying pop music, walking and driving around in slow motion sporting excessively materialistic attire. Then throw in dialogue that essentially consists of "that's so sick" and "that's hot" used over and over and over again to the point where I wanted to reach into the screen and throttle each and every one of them.

I understand that these are all probably characteristics of the real-life Bling Ring brats, but that also makes me wonder why the subject matter made it into a film in the first place. After all, it's a boring story about boring people that makes for an extremely boring movie.

/10
The Devil's Lyric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #13
Se7en
It... Won't... Die...

Se7en is blazin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Devil's Lyric View Post
The only way I could fairly describe this movie is as an endurance test. Wow, that was bad! I'm not actually a fan of Sofia Coppola anyway, I think nepotism paved the way to a one-hit wonder with Lost In Translation and most of that movie's appeal was that it was a Bill Murray vehicle anyway. However, this is definitely her worst film to date. By a fucking longshot. Aside from the fact that you're forced to spend an hour and a half with possibly the most obnoxious, shallow and consumerist pack of assholes to ever be put on celluloid, they're also horribly acted by the main cast who appear to be shambolically ad-libbing throughout the entire movie.

Whatever script there is, it's extremely weak, and Coppola's seemingly careless execution of it just further cements my belief that she just isn't a very talented filmmaker. Try to imagine watching an unedited version of Keeping Up With the Kardashian's - that's what this feels like. Endless shots of people: flaunting infront of mirrors, dancing in nightclubs to annoying pop music, walking and driving around in slow motion sporting excessively materialistic attire. Then throw in dialogue that essentially consists of "that's so sick" and "that's hot" used over and over and over again to the point where I wanted to reach into the screen and throttle each and every one of them.

/10
Filmmakers who aren't talented don't make movies like The Virgin Suicides or Lost In Translation.

And the whole thing about it being like a episode of Keeping Up With the Kardashian's and being forced to watch these obnoxious and shallow people is the entire point of the movie. I haven't seen it, but this is what I've gathered from interviews/reviews.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
Attention whore.

I've said it a couple times before, and I'll say it again. There is only one Oxley, and you ain't him bub. Quit feigning crazy. It's getting pathetic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek View Post
Se7en...STFU. Stop trying to out stupid Oxley. Oxley is actually amusing with his craziness.

You're just a bland and dull rip off.
Se7en is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:15 AM   #14
The Devil's Lyric
Rotting Corpse

The Devil's Lyric is a living reminder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7en Sins View Post
Filmmakers who aren't talented don't make movies like The Virgin Suicides or Lost In Translation.
Well, as I did say I find Lost In Translation to be her sort of one-hit wonder, if you will. It's a film I do like very, very much to the extent that I would actually say it's right up there with my favorites. However, the biggest part of the appeal of that movie for me is Bill Murray who brings an overwhelming sense of gravitas to it and whom without it would actually be a pretty forgettable experience. His performance is so good that it lifts the entire movie.

As for The Virgin Suicides, I can't really say I'm much of a fan. I'm not saying it's a bad movie, but my experiences of watching it in the past were pretty empty. Aside from these two examples, I've found her remaining body of work particularly hard to chew because it's just soaked in self-indulgence and what you end up with is films about people staying in the Chateau Marmont with nothing going on in their lives and it's just boring subject matter creating boring films. I'm sorry, that's just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7en Sins View Post
And the whole thing about it being like a episode of Keeping Up With the Kardashian's and being forced to watch these obnoxious and shallow people is the entire point of the movie. I haven't seen it, but this is what I've gathered from interviews/reviews.
I'm aware that to make an honest film about a bunch of consumerist, disillusioned teenagers you have to present them as a bunch of consumerist, disillusioned teenagers. That's not my problem. My problem is that it is so excruciatingly boring to watch and I could get the exact same experience of vacuousness and affectlessness from any one of those reality shows. Look, if there's anything positive I could say it's that the film does have an evocation of a demographic you can completely buy, but does that make interesting/engaging subject matter for a film? Absolutely not.

Other than that, it's just a tedious affair that made me angry whilst I was watching it and empty when it was over.
The Devil's Lyric is online now   Reply With Quote