The Haunting (1963) - Page 5 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Horror Movies > Classic Horror

Classic Horror From earliest Horror Classics - 1950's.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #41
BearZombies
Not Dead Yet

BearZombies is is preparing for his next podcast

Default This Is one of my ALL TIME favorites

This was the first horror movie I ever saw. It got me into horror and has led me to a higher level of understanding for the genre. The ability to create dread without ever SEEING anything, just relying on the building tension and sounds in the film was perfect! "It's as if the house is trying to split us apart" and the monologue "Hill House has stood for 90 years and might stand for 90 more. Within, walls continue upright, bricks meet, floors are firm, and doors are sensibly shut. Silence lies steadily against the wood and stone of Hill House. And we who walk here... walk alone." Absolutely chilling!
BearZombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #42
TheDarkPoet41
Death's Handmaiden

TheDarkPoet41 is watching Nordic cinema... alone!

i love this film.. but then I think all classic horror is awesome... even silent films..

Life and death are one thread, the same line viewed from different sides.

TheDarkPoet41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:47 AM   #43
Dead & Messed Up
Fresh Kill

Dead & Messed Up is walking with the dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkPoet41 View Post
i love this film.. but then I think all classic horror is awesome... even silent films..
Silent horror rules. You're right to love them.
03/04/12 - Review: The Video Dead (Robert Scott)
Dead & Messed Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:10 AM   #44
Robert Thorn
Fresh Kill

Robert Thorn is in Horrorfest Mode

A review I came up with a couple years ago:

Before becoming known for such films as The Day The Earth Stood Still, The Sound of Music, and Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Robert Wise worked with Val Lewton on a few horror films. One of them I have seen, and its pretty sweet: The Body Snatcher, which was creepy Gothic horror, sporting an excellent Boris Karloff performance. Well in 1963, Wise returned to the genre with the well made classic The Haunting, and I'm glad he did because the movie is pretty damn good. This film, much like "Snatcher," has rather strong psychological undertones. And it works. Also I flat out love the film's beginning, where the eerie sounding narrator tells the rather stark and dark tale of how Hill House became a cold, damp and forbidding place.

Unlike many other horror films that rely primarily on gore and jump scares, this movie instead slowly builds up its frightening moments, and rests on letting your imagination mainly take over. I much prefer this method instead, even though I must confess that many of the movies that have scared me feature rather shocking jump scares and more obvious methods. The cast itself is wisely rather tight and small, thus allowing us to focus on a few characters and thus making us more likely to fear for their safety. Large casts in horror movies are typically only useful for slasher movies anyways. Oh and apparently there was a lesbian undertone to the two female characters, but I really didn't see it.

Anyways, the film's last half is really, really strange, and is highly psychological. I'm not sure what really transpires, although there are clues to suggest that what the good Doctor thinks happened, happened. But I do like that final scene, one that sort of inspires a bit of creepy feelings and is sometimes featured in horror films. Overall I'd say so far this is one of the best horror flicks out of the ones I've seen so far, and it even stands a chance of cracking my Top 20. 90

This has nothing to do with where I came from, or what happened to me... I would've ended up here no matter what. I made a choice, I made a choice to provide a counterbalance to all those things that we hold good... and pure. You chose journalism, okay.
Robert Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:42 AM   #45
liveevil
I Eat Brains!

liveevil is a minister of the Church of Iron Maiden.Bow to your Lord Eddie!!

The opening is still one of my favorites,when the story of Hill House is told,Creepy and chilling.Watch with the lights out.
liveevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:28 AM   #46
Emo-rtal Beloved
Rotting Corpse

Emo-rtal Beloved is an advocate of female nudity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearZombies View Post
This was the first horror movie I ever saw. It got me into horror and has led me to a higher level of understanding for the genre. The ability to create dread without ever SEEING anything, just relying on the building tension and sounds in the film was perfect! "It's as if the house is trying to split us apart" and the monologue "Hill House has stood for 90 years and might stand for 90 more. Within, walls continue upright, bricks meet, floors are firm, and doors are sensibly shut. Silence lies steadily against the wood and stone of Hill House. And we who walk here... walk alone." Absolutely chilling!
Yes, that final monologue is great! Seriously, The Haunting may very well have the best opening & ending line ever in any horror movie!

The opening monologue really set the tone for the whole movie:

"An evil old house, the kind some people call haunted, is like an undiscovered country waiting to be explored. Hill House had stood for 90 years and might stand for 90 more. Silence lay steadily against the wood and stone of Hill House, and whatever walked there... walked alone."

And that ending line you stated was just perfect!

She isn't a scream queen for nothing, right?
Emo-rtal Beloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:10 AM   #47
CastleGrapsOwner
Not Dead Yet

CastleGrapsOwner has no status.

I bought the novel by Shirley Jackson yesterday. About the movie, I can only say that is a masterpiece of suspense.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:18 AM   #48
Lasetta
Fresh Kill

Lasetta has no status.

I haven't read the book but I really love the tense atmosphere of the film. Great stuff.