Lars Von Trier's The Nymphomaniac (2013) - Page 19 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > General Talk > Entertainment

Entertainment General talk about movies, tv, etc.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:22 PM   #181
Se7en Sins
I Eat Brains!

Se7en Sins is Moonwalkin' with steel toed boots on

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorking95 View Post
I wonder how Nymphomaniac compares to the other movies in the depression trilogy. I've just seen Melancholia for the first time and loved it about as much as Antichrist!
Vol. 1 is my favorite of the three.

Melancholia is probably better. Need a re-watch to be sure on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Cinematic View Post
little on the pretentious side
Elaborate
Old 03-16-2014, 05:35 PM   #182
Se7en Sins
I Eat Brains!

Se7en Sins is Moonwalkin' with steel toed boots on

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Devil's Lyric View Post
Infact, probably the most shocking thing about the film is that it is Von Trier's most humane and hopeful one yet. It's almost a revealing of a tenderness and thoughtfulness that we have heretofore seen from him.
...until he throws it all away in the last scene.

I feel totally betrayed by that ending. Maybe the motivation was lost on me and I will understand it more on repeated viewings but I feel like everything we learned about those characters was thrown away just to have a shock ending. Not a fan of that at all.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:31 PM   #183
Rusted
Paranoid Android

Rusted has no status.

Send a message via MSN to Rusted

Cinema hosts a "Mums and Bubs" screening of Nymphomaniac.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment...-1226874412626
3: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2
4: The Hobbit - The Desolation of Smaug
6: The Matrix
5: Forrest Gump
7: Bram Stokers Dracula
8: Basic Instinct
9: Dallas Buyers Club
10: The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
Rusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:46 AM   #184
Santa
The Necromancer

Santa is stronger than the foundations of the earth

Watched the second part last week and did find it more "enjoyable" than the first one.
The tone and events are more serious and better comprehensible, making the fate of the troubled and volatile mind of the nymphomaniacal protagonist more clear and better to grasp. von Trier makes great use of cinematographical and editing effects, hence promoting the unstable character of Joe in a reasonable way. Though, some elements made me cringe, for instance the scene in which her son stands on the balcony, curiously watching the falling snow and in subsequent great danger of falling down, all along with the Ave Maria music. The whole sequence is just ripped off almost 1:1 from Antichrist. Who else quotes his own movies within his own movie?! That felt so damn off.
Other than that, the psychogram of Joe becomes more clear in this final part, making her more likeable to the undecided audience. The ending was pretty bleak, but ok as well. A typical von Trier move. What a cunt.

3,5/5

Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:48 AM   #185
Rusted
Paranoid Android

Rusted has no status.

Send a message via MSN to Rusted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa View Post
Watched the second part last week and did find it more "enjoyable" than the first one.
The tone and events are more serious and better comprehensible, making the fate of the troubled and volatile mind of the nymphomaniacal protagonist more clear and better to grasp. von Trier makes great use of cinematographical and editing effects, hence promoting the unstable character of Joe in a reasonable way. Though, some elements made me cringe, for instance the scene in which her son stands on the balcony, curiously watching the falling snow and in subsequent great danger of falling down, all along with the Ave Maria music. The whole sequence is just ripped off almost 1:1 from Antichrist. Who else quotes his own movies within his own movie?! That felt so damn off.
Other than that, the psychogram of Joe becomes more clear in this final part, making her more likeable to the undecided audience. The ending was pretty bleak, but ok as well. A typical von Trier move. What a cunt.

3,5/5
The more I think about the ending the only conclusion that I can up with is Von Trier is sticking his middle finger up at all us while saying " haha life stinks so fuck you",
3: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2
4: The Hobbit - The Desolation of Smaug
6: The Matrix
5: Forrest Gump
7: Bram Stokers Dracula
8: Basic Instinct
9: Dallas Buyers Club
10: The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
Rusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:26 AM   #186
Santa
The Necromancer

Santa is stronger than the foundations of the earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusted View Post
The more I think about the ending the only conclusion that I can up with is Von Trier is sticking his middle finger up at all us while saying " haha life stinks so fuck you",
Dunno whether this was his intention. It was more a disappointing one, making Seligman (btw., selig means holy or sacred) an average sex-crazed man like 90% of his kind as well. Joe thought she found comfort and a neutral ear for her story, but in the end something overcame him and wanted to take a miserable shot at her puss - making him a total loser and not the educated and well-behaved man throughout the course of the two parts, who successfully conquered his own sexuality in terms of staying sober and away from females and sex. That was, what made him so unique and likeable in Joe's eyes. I might add in mine as well.
I thought con Trier would take a shot towards an ending like that, but I hoped not.

Maybe his conclusion is more like...we are all slaves of our body and the unforgiving force of our sexuality, no matter how hard we try to stay away or denying it. It comes back to us like a boomerang once we got away from it, whether we like it or not. That's very depressing imo.

Santa is offline   Reply With Quote