The Evil Dead (2013) Remake - Page 173 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Horror Movies > Modern Horror

Modern Horror Horror Movies of the 1990's - present.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:21 AM   #1721
Mirage01
Not Dead Yet

Mirage01 has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zander Noriega View Post

So, now that the claim that the humour in the original Evil Dead wasn't intended/intentional/etc or was completely a side-effect of the budget is proven to be wrong, the remaining possible argument you could make is something like: "regardless of what Raimi says about the intent, the resulting film did not have almost any humour in it! I did not laugh more than N times". But then that turns the discussion into an uninteresting taste/personal sensibility thing. Some people find certain things funny, others don't.

To a degree, but I think you can conclude what moments were at least intended to be humourous regardless if you found them funny.

The only scenes I can think of were when ash's girlfriend was doing the demonic laughing, and then some of the following moments when ash was trying to kill her were a bit outrageous and could be found funny, but other than that there was nothing else really.

Unless someone can list examples.
Mirage01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:16 PM   #1722
FukO
We'll Do You Last

FukO is in love with Ramona Flowers!

For me, there were tidbits of the original ED that were deliberately funny. Mostly, just some dialogue like when Scotty is holding the skull knife and says to Ash, "This kinda looks like your old girlfriend! Ha ha ha." or when Cheryl calls Ash, Ass. But the overall tone of the original for me was Horror, not Comedy.

Now ED2, that was a Horror/Comedy. They changed the tone with more comedic acting, gags like the deer head on the wall and even the Deadite Witch at the end, "I'll swallow your soul". The whole presentation of the film was humorous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcanis View Post
He said, "hit gold," not, "hit a septic line and get shit spewed in my face".
FukO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:26 PM   #1723
trachea
The Living Dead

trachea is making her own "HOMEMADE" hotdogs.

Evil Dead original funny moments for me..

The two goofballs on the side of the road when he honks the car horn.
The tree rape scene.
When Scotty chops up Shelly, and they are standing there dumbfounded.
All of the stunts that are over dramatic.

It's subtle but it's there.

Little things they say etc,
Old 01-04-2014, 02:26 AM   #1724
FarmerVincent1980
Not Dead Yet

FarmerVincent1980 has no status.

'Meh' movie but the trailer was phenomenal.

A lot like 'The Strangers' in that sense. Just a great freaking trailer.

FarmerVincent1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:52 AM   #1725
Se7en
The Bad Guy

Se7en is DRANK MOODY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage01 View Post
You maybe have a misunderstanding of what 'scary' is. It does not mean you are literally scared and frightened like a little kid, but rather just find it thrilling or creepy. Conjuring was sesame stuff in a nice clean house, with no threats, so there was nothing to scare or creep me out.
I'm typically the kind of guy who judges things purely on an objective basis but with comedies or horror films subjectivity is at it's most relevant when it comes to what scares you.

The Conjuring, regardless of whether the scares worked for you was a well made film. Great cinematography, realistic characters, solid direction, and had some very effective scenes for me. That's why I like the movie.

Quote:
The basic premise of The evil dead was scary to begin with.
Another subjective thing. I don't believe in demons or possession, and when it's a "straight up horror film" like the original Evil Dead is that looks poorly made and is acted terribly, there's nothing believable about it. But luckily that's not what makes the movie great, in my eyes at least.

Quote:
Funny? What was funny about it exactly?? Why isn't it disturbing now? What advances in film since then make it less disturbing? the buckets of blood we keep getting?
Yes, some gross out scenes in particular (The arm getting sawed off, face cutting, knife on the tongue) are much more "disturbing" than a cheesy shot of a tree going into a vagina.

Quote:
You assume wrong. if it failed as a horror movie to a lot of people it would have been quickly forgotten, not a cult classic. I find it really funny how something like the Conjuring worked for you but The Evil dead original did not.'
Audiences were also SCARED of the Friday the 13th films when they first came out. They had fucking ambulances at The Exorcist back in '73. Using people's reactions over thirty years ago to gauge somethings effect to a contemporary audience is fucking ridiculous.

And like I said to Heretic, lets not pretend the original Evil Dead and how "scary" it was is the reason it became as famous as it is now. Evil Dead II and Army of Darkness are arguably more to blame for the success as the fist film.

Quote:
The only explanation I have for it is you were too focused and distracted by the low budget, which for me was irrelevant and just enhanced the gritty realism.
How can you not focus on the low budget when it's being acted TERRIBLY. Sorry, but I can't get into a film when the characters are so unconvincingly portrayed. Raimi did a fantastic job with the budget but direction can only get you so far.

LOL at you thinking the movie is realistic. Fucking hilarious.

Quote:
To a degree, but I think you can conclude what moments were at least intended to be humourous regardless if you found them funny.

The only scenes I can think of were when ash's girlfriend was doing the demonic laughing, and then some of the following moments when ash was trying to kill her were a bit outrageous and could be found funny, but other than that there was nothing else really.

Unless someone can list examples.
You do realize there doesn't have to be particular jokes or outright "funny" moments to be humorous, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerVincent1980 View Post

Who cares about the trailers?
Old 01-04-2014, 10:02 PM   #1726
Mirage01
Not Dead Yet

Mirage01 has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7en Sins View Post
Another subjective thing. I don't believe in demons or possession, and when it's a "straight up horror film" like the original Evil Dead is that looks poorly made and is acted terribly, there's nothing believable about it. But luckily that's not what makes the movie great, in my eyes at least.
You don't believe in demons or possession yet you loved the conjuring and its very effective scares, which was a film about demons and possession. Your making good sense as usual.

Quote:
Yes, some gross out scenes in particular (The arm getting sawed off, face cutting, knife on the tongue) are much more "disturbing" than a cheesy shot of a tree going into a vagina.
There was nothing cheesy about that shot it was brutal. Cheesy would be just about every 'scare' in the conjuring.

Quote:
Audiences were also SCARED of the Friday the 13th films when they first came out. They had fucking ambulances at The Exorcist back in '73. Using people's reactions over thirty years ago to gauge somethings effect to a contemporary audience is fucking ridiculous.
I am not arguing about how scary it is now. I am saying it became a cult hit because of what a great effective horror movie it was.

Quote:
And like I said to Heretic, lets not pretend the original Evil Dead and how "scary" it was is the reason it became as famous as it is now. Evil Dead II and Army of Darkness are arguably more to blame for the success as the fist film.
We don't have to assume anything, as the reasons are very clear. You are the one assuming things just because you did not find it scary so your inventing other reasons. The fact you find the conjuring scary just shows how warped your views on horror movies are.

Quote:
How can you not focus on the low budget when it's being acted TERRIBLY. Sorry, but I can't get into a film when the characters are so unconvincingly portrayed. Raimi did a fantastic job with the budget but direction can only get you so far.
Acting is one of the least important things in a horror movie, as it can be far out weighed by the other elements, like cinematography atmosphere, sfx etc. I do not think they were so bad anyway. Just a bunch of kids, and they portrayed that well enough for me.

Quote:
LOL at you thinking the movie is realistic. Fucking hilarious.
Again you fail to comprehend the basics. I said the grainy gritty look made the film look realistic, like a documentary, rather than the slick studio look of modern films, which makes them look like a film, rather than real life. This is something you clearly cannot even comprehend. You just see it as looking 'cheap'

Quote:
You do realize there doesn't have to be particular jokes or outright "funny" moments to be humorous, right?
And you realise that having some humour in a movie does not make it a comedy?
Mirage01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:03 PM   #1727
cubbiechris
I Eat Brains!

cubbiechris has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerVincent1980 View Post

Strangers is a great freaking movie.
cubbiechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:07 PM   #1728
Se7en
The Bad Guy

Se7en is DRANK MOODY

Quote:
You don't believe in demons or possession yet you loved the conjuring and its very effective scares, which was a film about demons and possession. Your making good sense as usual.
Do I have to spell it out for you?

You totally missed what I said after I said I don't believe in demons or possession. I said that while I don't believe it, the things that are happening can become believable when the characters are portrayed realistically. You picking and choosing what to reply to, as usual.

Quote:
There was nothing cheesy about that shot it was brutal. Cheesy would be just about every 'scare' in the conjuring.
If you think it was brutal then there's nothing I can say to change your mind. It looked ridiculous to me, and still does.

Quote:
I am not arguing about how scary it is now. I am saying it became a cult hit because of what a great effective horror movie it was.
k but you need to realize the flat out comedy of Army of Darkness and Evil Dead II are just as much a part of that success as the first film.

Quote:
We don't have to assume anything, as the reasons are very clear. You are the one assuming things just because you did not find it scary so your inventing other reasons. The fact you find the conjuring scary just shows how warped your views on horror movies are.
Did you miss my post where I said The Conjuring wasn't scary either?

I'm obviously not the only one who loves the original Evil Dead for it's comedy so who is really the one warping the reasons for liking it?

Quote:
Acting is one of the least important things in a horror movie, as it can be far out weighed by the other elements, like cinematography atmosphere, sfx etc. I do not think they were so bad anyway. Just a bunch of kids, and they portrayed that well enough for me.
If I judged the acting of Evil Dead as an important part of the film it would be terrible. But luckily, the totally incompetent dialogue and acting is part of the charm.

If I took it as a straight up horror the acting would have to be believable to convey the emotions and situations the characters are going through believably. They don't do that well in this film.

Quote:
Again you fail to comprehend the basics. I said the grainy gritty look made the film look realistic, like a documentary, rather than the slick studio look of modern films, which makes them look like a film, rather than real life. This is something you clearly cannot even comprehend. You just see it as looking 'cheap'
God forbid a film look like a film.

Quote:
And you realise that having some humour in a movie does not make it a comedy?
Yes, but when it's thoroughly funny, intentional or not, does that not make it part comedy?
Old 01-05-2014, 01:40 AM   #1729
FarmerVincent1980
Not Dead Yet

Quote:

Who cares about the trailers?

Well... Me, for one.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:43 AM   #1730
FarmerVincent1980
Not Dead Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbiechris View Post
Strangers is a great freaking movie.
Honestly in hindsight I actually have soft spot for The Strangers, but on the initial viewing of the trailer I thought it was going to be the best horror movie of the decade. It was just such a freaking great trailer. I remember seeing it in theaters for the first time and just not giving a shit about the movie I watched because I was so drawn in by that trailer. That shot where the guy in the sack cloth mask is standing in the background behind Liv Tyler was the loudest I've ever heard an audience in a theater in my life. People were losing their shit screaming.