BD Write-Off Discussion Thread - Page 16 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > General Horror Talk

General Horror Talk Does it have something to do with horror? Does it not fit in anywhere else? Post It Here!

Old 11-04-2013, 01:45 AM   #151
Erebus Dirge
Rotting Corpse

Erebus Dirge is dressing up his turds like barbie dolls with thedead flayed skins of his enemies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowfang View Post
Story #1 - The Misbehavers by Willowfang

R: 4 C: 3 A: 3 T: 3.33
R: 3 C: 3 A: 3 T: 3.00
R: 4 C: 2 A: 3 T: 3.00
Total:
R: 3.67 C: 2.67 A: 3.00 Total: 3.17

Story #2 - Untitled by Robcbh

R: 2.0 C: 3.5 A: 3.5 T: 3.00
R: 2.5 C: 4.0 A: 3.5 T: 3.33
Total:
R: 2.25 C: 3.75 A: 3.5 Total: 3.17

Story #3 - Intestinal Fortitude by Erebus Dirge
R: 2.5 C:3.5 A: 3.0 T: 3:00
R: 3.0 C:5.0 A: 4.5 T: 4.17
Total:
R: 2.75 C: 4.25 A: 3.75 Total: 3.58

Highest Concept, Atmosphere, and Total: Intestinal Fortitude by Erebus Dirge

Highest Readability: The Misbehavers by Willowfang

1st place:
Intestinal Fortitude by Erebus Dirge

2nd place:
The Misbehavers by Willowfang

3rd place:
Untitled by Robcbh
No way! Didn't see this one coming! Thanks everyone!

" The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind. " - H.P. Lovecraft

Read latest fiction " The Closet by rhill10" in DEMETIONS at http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/for...t=61754&page=5
Erebus Dirge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #152
Robcbh
Rotting Corpse

Robcbh is convinced we live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity

Nice job Dirge, loved the story! it was definitely your best yet!

Just some food for thought, maybe next time if its just going to be the 3 of us we should just do an open share instead of hiding behind a visage of anonymity? We cans still have a winner and grading, but maybe its more of an open workshop style were we post and do some serious critique. It bit more of a discussion....just a thought.

And if more people join next time, we can do this style of write-off?
Old 11-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #153
Willowfang
has gone to plaid

Willowfang is half Thundercat on his childhood's side

That's sounds like a nice idea, will have to give it more thought, but with so few even submitting stories, why even rank them? Just agree on a theme or other guidelines and then stare what we come up with.
Willowfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #154
Robcbh
Rotting Corpse

Robcbh is convinced we live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowfang View Post
That's sounds like a nice idea, will have to give it more thought, but with so few even submitting stories, why even rank them? Just agree on a theme or other guidelines and then stare what we come up with.
Agreed, I think were it has largely been the 3 of us for the last 2 write offs i think it would be more beneficial to us all if we had more of a conversation on the piece instead of like a quick rating then go. Its also alot more to discuss your piece and where its going and see what worked on a more precise level.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #155
Willowfang
has gone to plaid

Kinda picturing Gordon Ramsey 1st asking the writer:

"Okay, so what have you done here?"

And then you describe what you were going for, what you were trying to convey. The Readability sorta goes out the window, but doesn't really lose it's importance if you want to come across well in the other two areas we've been grading on.

Then you describe the concept you were trying to put together, same as before, but telling what you hoped to "score".

And then Atmosphere, you tell what mood you were hoping to achieve.

We wouldn't have the scoring we did before, but with the critiques from others, we'd get an idea of how successful we were in our aims.

So for me:

=====

This story is about Jason Vorhees after the zombie apocalypse has hit, he's culling his home of Crystal Lake of irresponsible adults as always. When people stop showing up, he goes looking for why. He comes across the Mall from Dawn Of the Dead and then decides to "go take Manhattan"

The concept here is presenting how the mind of a child reacts and views the zombies in much the same way he sees irresponsible adults.

There's not a lot of overt dread here really, just the story of Jason applying his same rules to the zombie overrun world.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:09 AM   #156
Willowfang
has gone to plaid

Still a little early for more definitive discussion, but see above posts 152-155.

Given the number of people who submit in the end, I'd like to just go with the "workshop" dynamic if everyone that expects to submit a story is up for it.

How it'll differ is that in addition to sending me your story for review before posting as always, you include the answer to the "Gordon Ramsey" question above.

"Okay, so what were you going for here?"

1. You lay out your Summary, basically what you'd tell a friend what the story was going for/about in the first place.

Quote:
This story is about Jason Vorhees after the zombie apocalypse has hit, he's culling his home of Crystal Lake of irresponsible adults as always. When people stop showing up, he goes looking for why. He comes across the Mall from Dawn Of the Dead and then decides to "go take Manhattan"
2. Concept: Boil it all down, what's going on behind the curtain:

Quote:
The concept here is presenting how the mind of a child reacts and views the zombies in much the same way he sees irresponsible adults.
3. Atmosphere: must the same as before, but describe the mood you were going for so we can see how well you presented your idea, maybe you were going for something super creepy, Lovecraftian dread, or just something more comedic.

Quote:
There's not a lot of overt dread here really, just the story of Jason applying his same rules to the zombie overrun world.
====

We could still rate what we read with the old scoring system, but there'd be no 1st, 2nd, or 3rd places, just a scale to measure ourselves by.

We could still use the theme/genre guidelines we've used in the past to help challenge us, tho not needed in the same way as before to help measure the stories in the same way as we were doing. Would still be cool maybe to get a variety of takes on the same themes at once rather than stories coming from all directions.

Thoughts?
Old 03-08-2014, 11:27 AM   #157
Willowfang
has gone to plaid

Just gonna start the discussion here rather than in a new thread.

Should also have posted this last Monday, but it shouldn't effect things very much.

If we do this, we start writing on Monday, April 7th, in 4 weeks I think.

Read the post about, and then posts 152-155 for more details. I think we'll be going for a more "workshop" style this time and going non-anonymous as well.

We usually use a theme and/or genre in the Spring, we can still do that. or just leave it wide open so we're not trying to work with that as well as the new workshop stiyle we'll be trying.

So any thoughts and who's in?

As always, it's no crime to say you're in and plan to write, but then not have nothing to submit due to real life taking it's toll. Just nice to know who all is going to give it a try for the sake of discussion.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:05 PM   #158
Robcbh
Rotting Corpse

Sorry for the late response took me like3 days to remember my password.

I am in as always. I agree with the doing something more workshoppy. Here what I would propose:

-Author posts their story only, nothing about intent or backstory. other have a certain time frame to post their open ended critiques and the author can respond as necessary (i think will work because the most recent comments are on the bottom). After a week, the next author will post.

- I think we should still stick to a theme for the sake of the "write-off."

On a personal note, Willow, I am not sure where Dirge has been he hasn't written anything for the horror site he was writing for a while and I have seen him on Facebook in quite some time. It would be super nice to gte some new people to post, but writing a real commitment and its tough to devout the time.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:12 PM   #159
Willowfang
has gone to plaid

I'm cool with a theme, but we need to start brainstorming then. I'll dig up the master list of themes and post it here Friday or Saturday.

Kinda wonder about stating our intent tho. If we do it with the story, it would kinda defeat the purpose of "showing" and not "telling", doing it after others have chimed in on your result works well enough. And can have people ask questions of the writer to get some of the background on the ideas involved.

Dirge said something about the last one being his last write off as he was going to concentrate on more professional writing, tho don't remember if it was one of the write off threads or just to me in PMs
Old 03-13-2014, 10:29 PM   #160
Jack the Pin
Send... More... Paramedics

Jack the Pin is trying to tie a bell around the tail of his Cartesian demon

I'll be submitting this time around. Lord knows I have the time. I'm a bit suspicious of this new workshop format, but I'm up for anything as long as it's a concept that can be worked in an interesting way. There are so few entrants these days that perhaps it would be a good idea to make the contest as simple and painless as possible. I wonder if people really want to spend the time critiquing other people's work as well as trying to set numerical values to things like plot, theme, originality, etc. I do think that submissions should be presented in an anonymous way as it allows people to read the stories without prejudice.

You do a great job on these things, Willow, and I admire the fact that you've been doing it single-handedly for some time now. just remember that this needn't be as complicated as the drafts. All that's really needed is to create an interest and let momentum do the rest.
Jack the Pin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
horror write off