Don Coscarelli's John Dies at the End - Page 3 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Horror Movies > Modern Horror

Modern Horror Horror Movies of the 1990's - present.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:03 PM   #21
Dr. McStuffin
Rotting Corpse

Dr. McStuffin is making the Lacerta Plague look like a fucking square dance!

I've tried to watch this movie three times and have fallen asleep within minutes each time. Not trying to troll the movie, since I haven't seen it through (maybe I am) - but it kind of sucks so far. The story is taking it's sweet ass time setting up the conflict as I still don't get who/what the antagonist is supposed to be. It's an incoherent ramble so far and I'm like over 40 minutes in...

Can't believe this is based on some novel because it seems like a story my four year old would make up and tell at the dinner table..."Then this guy becomes a man made of meat. Then this guy finds a dog. Then this guy does some soy sauce and sees a monster. Then this guy goes to jail."
Dr. McStuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:16 PM   #22
Caustic Coffee
Abuser of Power

Caustic Coffee is the I in team.

The beginning of this annoyed the fuck out of me, but it came around in the end. By then, my wife had already abandoned ship, saying it was too boring about halfway in. I agree with Cap that too much time was spent wandering aimlessly through the plot, but I think that's due to the fact that it was written as a serial, so the author was just trying to be funny chapter to chapter, rather than forming a cohesive plot. That's not really an excuse. I did think the plot eventually came together and produced a satisfying conclusion, but it wasn't my favorite. Maybe additional viewings will change my mind.

My grade = not great not bad
Caustic Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:52 PM   #23
nancylives!
The Living Dead

nancylives! is living!

i loved john dies at the end. i was hooked from the opening moments, and completely on board thereafter. i loved the leads, i loved the gooey creature-y-ness of it, i loved how it was a perfect coscarellian reality warp, i loved the sense of humor. it is yet another inspired entry into coscarelli's superb filmography, and honestly, i'm amazed he didn't write the book. the book is awesome, too, and more expansive obviously. i have no idea how don trimmed to the the tight feature it was, but he did an expert job of it. wonderful flick.

now, don, do phantasm V for fuck's sake. please....

nancylives! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:49 PM   #24
Mayday
It... Won't... Die...

Mayday is the law.

JDATE - oh wow. Acronyming the film sounds like a Jewish dating site... anyhow, the film does start of slow and confusing as to what's going on, but then again so did the book. In that sense, it did keep the essence of the novel.

I enjoyed the film, although not nearly as much as the book. But then again, the book was so out there and fucked up, I was surprised they actually made a go of filming it.

While not a spectacular film, I found it to be a valiant effort and entertaining enough, although my least favorite part was the last third where I felt they could have handled it better.

The book, on the other hand, may be the best novel I've ever read. Only one other book has ever come close to cracking me the fuck up as much as JD@TE did. I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone. Now if the sequel would come out in paperback already...

Book - 10/10
Movie - 7.5/10

(p.s. - to all my B-D friends, you haven't noticed me on here for quite awhile, but finally I'm baaaa-aaaaack! Look forward to chatting with y'all again soon.)

2014 BD Song Draft
1. Oingo Boingo - Dead Man's Party ~~ 8. Soggy Bottom Boys - I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow
2. Björk - Army of Me ~~ 9. Karen O - Immigrant Song
3. Gary Jules - Mad World ~~ 10. Foster the People - Helena Beat
4. Peter Schilling - Major Tom (Coming Home)
5. Low w/ tomandandy - Half Light
6. Crooked Fingers - Luisa's Bones
7. Vixtrola - Gunboat
Mayday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #25
The Geek
Schlock King

The Geek is dancing with himself!

Send a message via Skype™ to The Geek

I really disliked it. It was more frustrating and annoying than anything fun.

Bubba Ho-Tep is far superior.

1. Dragon Sound-Friends
2. Alice Cooper-He's Back (The Man Behind the Mask)
3. Michael Sembello-Rock Until You Drop
4. Motörhead-Hellraiser
5. The Crypt Keeper-Crypt Jam
6. Gerard McMahon-Cry Little Sister
7. J. Geils Band-Fright Night
8. John McDermott-The Ballad of Harry Warden
9. AC/DC-Who Made Who
10. The Remnants-Bad Taste
The Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:55 PM   #26
Deadly Fiend
Demigod

Deadly Fiend has no status.

Gonna skip this one for now... maybe if it's on TV one day and I'm bored I'll watch it.
Deadly Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #27
prettyscary
Wererabbit

prettyscary is flooping the pig!

Just watched it today on Netflix, and I loved it! Now I want to go back and read it again, it's such a trip!
Old 05-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #28
prettyscary
Wererabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayday View Post
JDATE - oh wow. Acronyming the film sounds like a Jewish dating site... anyhow, the film does start of slow and confusing as to what's going on, but then again so did the book. In that sense, it did keep the essence of the novel.

I enjoyed the film, although not nearly as much as the book. But then again, the book was so out there and fucked up, I was surprised they actually made a go of filming it.

While not a spectacular film, I found it to be a valiant effort and entertaining enough, although my least favorite part was the last third where I felt they could have handled it better.

The book, on the other hand, may be the best novel I've ever read. Only one other book has ever come close to cracking me the fuck up as much as JD@TE did. I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone. Now if the sequel would come out in paperback already...

Book - 10/10
Movie - 7.5/10

(p.s. - to all my B-D friends, you haven't noticed me on here for quite awhile, but finally I'm baaaa-aaaaack! Look forward to chatting with y'all again soon.)
Glad to hear it!
Old 05-11-2013, 04:52 AM   #29
Santa
The Necromancer

Santa is stronger than the foundations of the earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayday View Post
Yeah, good to have you back.

The film itself is entertaining, but nothing groundbreaking or even memorable like Phantasm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Doll
I would jizz on you if I were a man. I would jizz on everything if I had a penis for one day. Oh man I bet that feels so good. You guys are so lucky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonia
I like to skip dessert and get right down to relaxing after a meal with a hot bath and a facial.
Santa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #30
prettyscary
Wererabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frey View Post
copycat!
Meow!! What can I say? Great minds think alike!