The Evil Dead (2013) Remake - Page 152 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Horror Movies > Modern Horror

Modern Horror Horror Movies of the 1990's - present.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:20 AM   #1511
magnaderalpha
Fresh Kill

magnaderalpha has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Revelator View Post
There are no damn rules to horror movies. Why limit ourselves?
Horror SHOULDN'T limit itself. Besides, these types of rules were made to be broken.

It always interested me when ever someone would ask John Carpenter about the "having sex = dead in horror movies because of morality" thing, and listening to him state that it was NEVER a morality issue, but a logical issue that one "preoccupied" wouldn't necessarily pick up on danger because their minds are elsewhere, making them perfect targets(because the perfect target is one that doesn't suspect their own impending death).

Seriously, after Scream, those "know-it-alls" fuckin PISSED me off. All those damn shits claiming to know all the rules, and pointing out how movies that don't follow the "rules" are flawed horror movies(because ALL horror movies are supposed to follow the rules.... bullshit poser pissants).

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxley View Post
Without rules, we have anarchy.
Best horror is birthed in chaos. That which you cannot control is ALWAYS scary!
magnaderalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:01 AM   #1512
bloodydollface
Rotting Corpse

bloodydollface is a shithead

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnaderalpha View Post
Horror SHOULDN'T limit itself. Besides, these types of rules were made to be broken.
Seriously, after Scream, those "know-it-alls" fuckin PISSED me off. All those damn shits claiming to know all the rules, and pointing out how movies that don't follow the "rules" are flawed horror movies(because ALL horror movies are supposed to follow the rules.... bullshit poser pissants).
Scream didn't "ruin those other movies" it simply exploited horror movies for what they had become. It mocked them for FOLLOWING the rules, while doing so itself. It pointed out how clichéd the horror genre had gotten. It was brilliant. If anything it paved the way for others to change the game and break away from the norm. In the last decade horror movies have gotten FAR more praise for going outside the box (Sinister, Insidious, Paranormal Activity, etc...) And those are just of few of the mainstream films, that's not even counting the ones that don't make it to theatres as well as foreign films. Horror hasn't limited itself, and it sure as hell isn't following a set of rules.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:06 AM   #1513
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

The Revelator is tired

Send a message via AIM to The Revelator Send a message via MSN to The Revelator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodydollface View Post
Scream didn't "ruin those other movies" it simply exploited horror movies for what they had become. It mocked them for FOLLOWING the rules, while doing so itself. It pointed out how clichéd the horror genre had gotten. It was brilliant. If anything it paved the way for others to change the game and break away from the norm. In the last decade horror movies have gotten FAR more praise for going outside the box (Sinister, Insidious, Paranormal Activity, etc...) And those are just of few of the mainstream films, that's not even counting the ones that don't make it to theatres as well as foreign films. Horror hasn't limited itself, and it sure as hell isn't following a set of rules.
Exactly. To read into Scream as some sort of ultimatum of horror is foolish... Scream said "this is what horror is and has become..." but doesn't beg us to think that's all it should be.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:21 AM   #1514
Yggdrasil
Rotting Corpse

Yggdrasil is tearing at the fabric of reality.

Quote:

It always interested me when ever someone would ask John Carpenter about the "having sex = dead in horror movies because of morality" thing, and listening to him state that it was NEVER a morality issue, but a logical issue that one "preoccupied" wouldn't necessarily pick up on danger because their minds are elsewhere, making them perfect targets(because the perfect target is one that doesn't suspect their own impending death).

Agreed.
Yggdrasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:52 AM   #1515
Oxley
Bastard Son of 100 Maniacs

Oxley is slice'n and dice'n.

Send a message via MSN to Oxley

Quote:
Was a joke brosefff

Quote:
Exactly. To read into Scream as some sort of ultimatum of horror is foolish... Scream said "this is what horror is and has become..." but doesn't beg us to think that's all it should be.

"I do not see why man should not be just as cruel as nature." -- Adolf Hitler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa View Post
You are a sadistic, volatile and all over out of control internet cruise missile, that's what you are, Oxley.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderlust View Post
Do you have American animals in your Zoo's? Like Bears, Elephants and Giraffes?
My little idiot..
Oxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #1516
magnaderalpha
Fresh Kill

magnaderalpha has no status.

Quote:
Of course that's what Scream is about, but that didn't stop non-horror mainstream from using it as the "Bible to Horror". I don't know how many people I've met that think that way, that the Scream rules are the definitive guide to how to make a horror movie. It's kinda annoying, though getting back to Cabin in the Woods, it's just as annoying when you see those not familiar with ED saying, "Oh, Cabin in the Woods ripoff!!!".
magnaderalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #1517
bloodydollface
Rotting Corpse

Quote:
Of course that's what Scream is about, but that didn't stop non-horror mainstream from using it as the "Bible to Horror". I don't know how many people I've met that think that way, that the Scream rules are the definitive guide to how to make a horror movie. It's kinda annoying, though getting back to Cabin in the Woods, it's just as annoying when you see those not familiar with ED saying, "Oh, Cabin in the Woods ripoff!!!".
Name a film that used Scream as the "Bible to Horror", because I can't think of one...
Old 04-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #1518
Boilersuit_Mayhem
Rotting Corpse

Boilersuit_Mayhem is lying on the floor, seemingly dead...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodydollface View Post
Scream didn't "ruin those other movies" it simply exploited horror movies for what they had become. It mocked them for FOLLOWING the rules, while doing so itself. It pointed out how clichéd the horror genre had gotten. It was brilliant.
It was brilliant because it... mocked itself for being clichéd?
Old 04-17-2013, 01:19 PM   #1519
bloodydollface
Rotting Corpse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilersuit_Mayhem View Post
It was brilliant because it... mocked itself for being clichéd?
Yes and no. My wording was probably poor, but I saw it as mocking previous horror films (particularly slashers) for being very predictable, by showing the rules that had to be followed to fulfill the outcomes of those films (virgins live, people who have sex die, drinking and partying lead to death, etc...). Not saying all prior slashers were bad, but the stories all seemed to be mesh together to form the same old trend for the horror films of the late 70s and 80s. Scream wasn't a game changer in the fact of being a totally different form of slasher, but like I said earlier, it pointed out the rules so that in a sense they could be broken. Movies that followed had an opportunity to do something entirely different and hold nothing back. This is how I view it, but it's just my opinion.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #1520
Willowfang
has gone to plaid

Willowfang is half Thundercat on his childhood's side

More like clichés then rules.

Scream made it funny to call them rules, but it only makes more sense to get more of an emotional reaction when the last survivor is a woman that a man, it just gets "tired" and called over used when it fails to resonate somehow.
I met her, fifteen years ago; I was told there was nothing left; no reason, no conscience, no understanding; and not even the most rudimentary sense of life or death, of good or evil, right or wrong. I met this cow, with this blank, pale, emotionless face, and the blackest eyes... the devil's eyes. I spent eight years trying to reach her, and then another seven trying to keep her locked up because I realized that what was living behind that cow's eyes was purely and simply... evil.
Willowfang is offline   Reply With Quote