Requiem For A Dream (2000) - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > General Talk > Entertainment

Entertainment General talk about movies, tv, etc.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:36 AM   #1
horrorking95
Rotting Corpse

horrorking95 is singing Believe! BY CHER!

Send a message via MSN to horrorking95
Default Requiem For A Dream (2000)

One of my all time favourite films. After watching it again last night, it's made me realise just how utterly intense and dizzying this film is! It's such a tragic mind-bend and one of the saddest films I've ever seen. The final 30 minutes hit you like a ton of bricks. Clint Mansell's haunting score is nothing short of a masterpiece in itself and one of the best music written for film. Truly unlike anything out there, I'd really urge you to see it if you haven't.

The plot follows four characters, all with dreams and everything looking hopeful, until the heroin they take becomes uncontrollable and everything goes spiralling out of control in the most hypnotic manner. It's Ellen Burstyn's character (a mesmerising performance) that I find the most compelling, as she becomes addicted to diet pills in the hope of appearing on TV.

Heart-breaking and utterly draining. It's films like Requiem For A Dream, The Wrestler and Black Swan (possibly my favourite of all time) that makes Darren Aronofsky my favourite director. I've yet to see Pi and didn't think too much of The Fountain, but Darren is one of the most visceral and intense directors around.

It stars: Ellen Burstyn, Jared Leto, Jennifer Connelly and Marlon Wayans

"I'm going to be on television!"

Have a looky at my new horror movie blog!

http://asdaman.wordpress.com/

Last edited by horrorking95; 04-02-2013 at 09:39 AM.
horrorking95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
Jack the Pin
Send... More... Paramedics

Jack the Pin is trying to tie a bell around the tail of his Cartesian demon

Not to put a damper on you're enthusiasm, but I'm sure there's a thread for this already.

I haven't seen the film in a very long time. I should watch it again before I make any comment. I thought it was very stylish in a main-stream-film-as-art-film sort of way. It's bizarre and uber-hipster hip. What I find objectionable about it is that it creates a misplaced sense of compassion. Are heroin addicts really victims and tortured souls whom we should feel sorry for because their dreams have been shattered and their lives reduced to nothing? That happens to lots of folks who aren't addicted to heroin. What those other folks do is hopefully find some strength and resolve through their trials and sufferings rather than falling into some nihilistic sink hole. The film seems to suggest that there is no other option than to either die or to become utterly compromised, and it suggests in an offhanded sort of way, that there is something very compelling, romantic, and tragic about failure, about heroin addiction, and about an individual lose of one's humanity.
Jack the Pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
Shoggoth
The Living Dead

Shoggoth is in a land of confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack the Pin View Post
Not to put a damper on you're enthusiasm, but I'm sure there's a thread for this already.

I haven't seen the film in a very long time. I should watch it again before I make any comment. I thought it was very stylish in a main-stream-film-as-art-film sort of way. It's bizarre and uber-hipster hip. What I find objectionable about it is that it creates a misplaced sense of compassion. Are heroin addicts really victims and tortured souls whom we should feel sorry for because their dreams have been shattered and their lives reduced to nothing? That happens to lots of folks who aren't addicted to heroin. What those other folks do is hopefully find some strength and resolve through their trials and sufferings rather than falling into some nihilistic sink hole. The film seems to suggest that there is no other option than to either die or to become utterly compromised, and it suggests in an offhanded sort of way, that there is something very compelling, romantic, and tragic about failure, about heroin addiction, and about an individual lose of one's humanity.
I only watched this film for the first time recently and while it is easily one of my least favorite Aronofsky films, I didn't get this impression from it at all. Of course you relate to the characters and maybe feel some compassion for them, but that even occurs with the villains of films and the movie wouldn't work without it. Did you not relate to Daniel Plainview in There Will Be Blood even though he was quite a scumbag? Of course you did, because good movie makers cause you to feel something for even the worst characters. Yes, this movie dramatizes and romanticizes heroin addiction a bit, but in the end is is just a movie about some people who's lives fell apart.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:55 AM   #4
horrorking95
Rotting Corpse

horrorking95 is singing Believe! BY CHER!

Send a message via MSN to horrorking95

You can say what you like about it romanticising those who take heroin, but the one and most important thing it most definitely does not do is glamourise it! This film should be shown to every 12 year old, despite its purposeful shocking imagery. Watching Requiem For A Dream will put you off drugs for life! I had no intention of taking drugs anyway, but this film just cemented that idea into my head!

Have a looky at my new horror movie blog!

http://asdaman.wordpress.com/
horrorking95 is offline   Reply With Quote