Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003) - Page 16 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet


Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Franchise Horror

Franchise Horror Come here to talk about all the big names in horror with 3+ films in the series. Halloween, Friday the 13th, A Nightmare on Elm Street, etc...

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #151
Heretic
It... Won't... Die...
 
Heretic's Avatar
Heretic is up to shenanigans
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,605
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate High View Post
I knew that would draw some ire.

I find it to be the most entertaining and/or re-watchable of the mod. remakes. The hate is strong, but it's got a lot going for it; lush cinematography, beautiful location, strong intro, creative, violent, kills, high(est) body-count, solid nudity, and a great(best?) looking cast.
Personally, I thought it was a boring, run of the mill slasher, with the weakest element being that the kills weren't creative in the least.

To each their own though.
__________________


Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:00 PM   #152
Mr Torrance
The Living Dead
 
Mr Torrance's Avatar
Mr Torrance is searching for the Ringlefinch!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: overlook hotel
Posts: 4,676
Default

I really enjoy this remake,obviously nothing will come close to the original like in almost every case.But I did really dig the feel and vibe of this and I thought the cast really worked well together, actually I loved the cast,all of them were great which is rare in todays horror world.
__________________
Old man Clemmons hates shit.
Mr Torrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:02 PM   #153
Ultimate High
Rotting Corpse
 
Ultimate High's Avatar
Ultimate High has no status.
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mass.
Posts: 1,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
Personally, I thought it was a boring, run of the mill slasher, with the weakest element being that the kills weren't creative in the least.

To each their own though.
Outside of the Fulci-esque 'dock' kill, maybe 'creative' isn't the right word but they're varied and executed with a bit more pizzazz than your average.

Plenty of different tools/methods put to use:
Spoiler Below
Machete(stab/decapitation), nail, axe, bear-trap, cow-skull, screwdriver, sleeping bag (human roast/over a fire), arrow, and:




Of the films in question, it, by a large margin, has the 'best' deaths.
__________________

inhale
...

.
exhale
Ultimate High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:39 PM   #154
Myerszilla
Rotting Corpse
 
Myerszilla's Avatar
Myerszilla is eternally internally rotting
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hell's Pit
Posts: 2,420
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate High View Post
Friday > Hills > Thing = Texas > House > Nightmare



Okay, but TCM isn't even half as visceral/kinetic. THHE is a lot more fun, as well.
The TCM redux is well-made, there's no debating that, but outside it's aesthetic, I find it fairly generic. It lacks those extra flourishes(blood, creative kills, high-body count, tits..etc) that elevate both the '13th and Eyes reboots.
TCM '03 is much more visceral, & goes for more of the "less is more" approach when it comes to gore, whereas THHE does not follow that approach. The Hills Have Eyes is truly far more generic, imo. TCM '03 does follow a lot of the cliches, but once again, it manages to be scary & gross. THHE is just gross. Big difference.

And while F13 '09 isn't a remake, I think it's among the better new renditions in horror. The movie actually made Jason into a threat, something he hadn't been since he became a zombie. The reboot is without a doubt one of the best of the series, which is saying a lot considering how terrible the later sequels became.
__________________
Myerszilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:11 AM   #155
Se7en
The Bad Guy
 
Se7en's Avatar
Se7en is your favorite wigger
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: The Void
Posts: 14,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myerszilla View Post
The Hills Have Eyes is a great remake, but imo, it ain't got shit on TCM '03 in terms of atmosphere & actually scaring the shit out of you.
Yeah, I'll give TCM the edge in terms of atmosphere, but in terms of a well made/acted/written/badass horror film, Hills definitely takes the cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodydollface View Post
And Seven Sins, don't bother watching the Last House remake. It's terrible.
I've seen it multiple times and love it. 100x better than the original IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate High View Post
I knew that would draw some ire.

I find it to be the most entertaining and/or re-watchable of the mod. remakes. The hate is strong, but it's got a lot going for it; lush cinematography, beautiful location, strong intro, creative, violent, kills, high(est) body-count, solid nudity, and a great(best?) looking cast.
Loved the location and cinematography in the Friday remake. Body count/kills/nudity/how hot the cast is doesn't mean shit though.

I feel like I could throw on the Friday remake any day of the week and be mildly entertained but if I want to watch a "good" movie, The Hills Have Eyes or The Last House on the Left easily top F13.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Voorhees View Post
Lol the Hills remake was just as boring as the original.
__________________
Se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:57 AM   #156
Myerszilla
Rotting Corpse
 
Myerszilla's Avatar
Myerszilla is eternally internally rotting
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hell's Pit
Posts: 2,420
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7en XxSinzXx View Post
Yeah, I'll give TCM the edge in terms of atmosphere, but in terms of a well made/acted/written/badass horror film, Hills definitely takes the cake.
Nah, I'd give all of those edges to TCM '03 too. The Hills Have Eyes doesn't have any advantages over the former, imo. Both are good, but TCM '03 has much more to it that sets it apart, including a better cast, script, villains, etc.
__________________
Myerszilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:11 AM   #157
Se7en
The Bad Guy
 
Se7en's Avatar
Se7en is your favorite wigger
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: The Void
Posts: 14,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myerszilla View Post
Nah, I'd give all of those edges to TCM '03 too. The Hills Have Eyes doesn't have any advantages over the former, imo. Both are good, but TCM '03 has much more to it that sets it apart, including a better cast, script, villains, etc.
Villains definitely (But honestly, aside from Michael or Freddy, no one is better than Leatherface.)

Disagree with everything else. I hate the TCM cast. Jessica Biel and Eric Balfour especially.
__________________
Se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #158
Myerszilla
Rotting Corpse
 
Myerszilla's Avatar
Myerszilla is eternally internally rotting
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hell's Pit
Posts: 2,420
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7en XxSinzXx View Post
Villains definitely (But honestly, aside from Michael or Freddy, no one is better than Leatherface.)
And Jason.

Quote:
Disagree with everything else. I hate the TCM cast. Jessica Biel and Eric Balfour especially.
Well, everybody's likes/dislikes are different, but I thought the cast was stronger than in THHE remake, & I thought Biel was fine. She's not the greatest actress in the world, but she did chimed in a performance better than most actresses in horror movies these days, which is saying a lot.

But, I'll agree to disagree, I suppose.
__________________
Myerszilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:21 PM   #159
mikeym1979
Fresh Kill
 
mikeym1979's Avatar
mikeym1979 is feeling kiddish.
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 549
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myerszilla View Post
TCM '03 is much more visceral, & goes for more of the "less is more" approach when it comes to gore, whereas THHE does not follow that approach. The Hills Have Eyes is truly far more generic, imo. TCM '03 does follow a lot of the cliches, but once again, it manages to be scary & gross. THHE is just gross. Big difference.

And while F13 '09 isn't a remake, I think it's among the better new renditions in horror. The movie actually made Jason into a threat, something he hadn't been since he became a zombie. The reboot is without a doubt one of the best of the series, which is saying a lot considering how terrible the later sequels became.
I couldn't agree more about F13th. I thought it was just fantastic. I want a part II so bad.
__________________
mikeym1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:47 PM   #160
Myerszilla
Rotting Corpse
 
Myerszilla's Avatar
Myerszilla is eternally internally rotting
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hell's Pit
Posts: 2,420
Default

Agreed. Funny thing is, for as much shit as they get, Dunes is probably the best company to handle the series right now.
__________________
Myerszilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2001-Present BLOODY-DISGUSTING LLC