Kill List (2011) - Page 4 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Horror Movies > Foreign Horror

Foreign Horror Discussion for horror films from non US markets

Old 08-25-2012, 04:31 PM   #31
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

The Revelator is tired

Send a message via AIM to The Revelator Send a message via MSN to The Revelator

This movie kind of blew my mind (not in an "OH MY GOD THIS IS AMAZING" way... but in a "woah wtf was that" way).

8/10
Old 08-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #32
Agent Panic
Fresh Kill

Agent Panic is not suffering fools lightly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecep View Post
This film was disturbing in a way hard to describe, like disturbing to my soul. It reminded me of Fincher's The Game, except
Spoiler Below
that the conspirators award the protagonist with a VIP pass to hell instead of a t-shirt.
I saw the end coming a mile away though, simply because films these days are trying too hard to be shocking. All I had to do was imagine the worst possible outcome and it came to pass. Still, this is a great slice of indie horror. Recommended.
I think you're very wrong about this film 'trying too hard to be shocking'. The end was foreshadowed within the first few minutes of the film and it's wholly possible that you were influenced by that without even realizing. There are certainly films that do try too hard to have shock scenes; this was not one of them. The ending was a deliberate and important part of the story, as it shows the last remnants of his goodness, that has constantly dwindled through the movie, finally dissipate completely as the cult revels around him. This film is very smart and works on levels that the casual viewer will not grasp.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:41 PM   #33
Dr. McStuffin
Rotting Corpse

Dr. McStuffin is making the Lacerta Plague look like a fucking square dance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Panic View Post
I think you're very wrong about this film 'trying too hard to be shocking'. The end was foreshadowed within the first few minutes of the film and it's wholly possible that you were influenced by that without even realizing. There are certainly films that do try too hard to have shock scenes; this was not one of them. The ending was a deliberate and important part of the story, as it shows the last remnants of his goodness, that has constantly dwindled through the movie, finally dissipate completely as the cult revels around him. This film is very smart and works on levels that the casual viewer will not grasp.

The film was written to shock the viewer with it's ending (the creator admits this), and it's...(spoilers) coincidentally following a trend seen in other movies like A Serbian Film, The Human Centipede II, etc., where kids are fair game. ...Perhaps the writer was influenced by these movies without realizing. To my credit, when a DVD cover declares by some critic that the film is, "Devastating. Unimaginable.", it makes me wonder what's going to be devastating to these characters as soon as I meet them. Therefore, I kind of knew what kind of movie this was when it started. I'm not knocking the movie at all. I think it's great. But, it definitely projects itself to be one of those films. The movie is most certainly trying to be shocking and it definitely fits in the current crop of films. That's not a really a bad thing and I don't think there's a debate here.

Last edited by Dr. McStuffin; 08-29-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Dr. McStuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:53 AM   #34
horrorking95
Rotting Corpse

horrorking95 is singing Believe! BY CHER!

Send a message via MSN to horrorking95

LOVED IT! The best British horror film since Eden Lake!

10/10

Have a looky at my new horror movie blog!

http://asdaman.wordpress.com/
horrorking95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:08 AM   #35
Midnight-Kroovy
The Living Dead

Midnight-Kroovy is feeling groovy

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorking95 View Post
LOVED IT! The best British horror film since Eden Lake!

10/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecep View Post
The film was written to shock the viewer with it's ending (the creator admits this)
When/where did the creator state he intended to only shock with the ending?
Spoiler Below
I'd be interested in seeing that as the ending was foreshadowed with the child on his mothers back swinging a plastic sword at his father in the garden.
There are some very interesting readings about this film and I'm cynical at the notion that its merely shock value and sometimes shock value is effective because it has an allegory.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #36
Justin_Voorhees
The Living Dead

Justin_Voorhees has no status.

Rather boring movie. I wouldn't call this a horror film in the slightest either. It's not a bad movie just not a good one.
5/10 at best.
Justin_Voorhees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #37
Dr. McStuffin
Rotting Corpse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight-Kroovy View Post
When/where did the creator state he intended to only shock with the ending?
Spoiler Below
I'd be interested in seeing that as the ending was foreshadowed with the child on his mothers back swinging a plastic sword at his father in the garden.
There are some very interesting readings about this film and I'm cynical at the notion that its merely shock value and sometimes shock value is effective because it has an allegory.
I read an interview somewhere that Wheatley said he wanted to "destroy" the viewer with the ending. But forgive me for what came out sounding like a disparaging comment, the film's intention is not purely shallow. What I should have said is that it's ending was foreseeable due to it's comparisons to A Serbian Film and the simple phenomenon of one up-manship.

Anyhow, this is has become one of my favorite modern horror/thrillers. There are so many layers of subtext here; Wheatley is speaking about religion, masculinity, the trials of family life, the recent wars, and so on.

The director is very clever with altering the all too recognizable pentagram into his own symbol, therefore keeping the designs of the group mysterious yet foreboding. There's lots of symbolism in the film - one interesting one is when Jay and Gal exit the car under the rainbow, which is a symbol of God's promise to never destroy the earth, thus suggesting the broken promise and some bad shit is about to go down.

The score is incredibly creepy and this (I'm not positive if I believe this) is attributed to Wheatley incorporating the sounds a shark makes into the score. His logic being that he wanted to place the sounds of a fearsome predator in the film to subliminally terrify the viewer. There's a video of him talking about that online somewhere too.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:43 PM   #38
Dr. McStuffin
Rotting Corpse

Here's the interview I think...

Old 06-22-2013, 05:49 PM   #39
Midnight-Kroovy
The Living Dead

Midnight-Kroovy is feeling groovy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. McStuffin View Post
I read an interview somewhere that Wheatley said he wanted to "destroy" the viewer with the ending. But forgive me for what came out sounding like a disparaging comment, the film's intention is not purely shallow. What I should have said is that it's ending was foreseeable due to it's comparisons to A Serbian Film and the simple phenomenon of one up-manship.

Anyhow, this is has become one of my favorite modern horror/thrillers. There are so many layers of subtext here; Wheatley is speaking about religion, masculinity, the trials of family life, the recent wars, and so on.

The director is very clever with altering the all too recognizable pentagram into his own symbol, therefore keeping the designs of the group mysterious yet foreboding. There's lots of symbolism in the film - one interesting one is when Jay and Gal exit the car under the rainbow, which is a symbol of God's promise to never destroy the earth, thus suggesting the broken promise and some bad shit is about to go down.

The score is incredibly creepy and this (I'm not positive if I believe this) is attributed to Wheatley incorporating the sounds a shark makes into the score. His logic being that he wanted to place the sounds of a fearsome predator in the film to subliminally terrify the viewer. There's a video of him talking about that online somewhere too.
Ah, fair enough mate, you make some interesting points. I'll just throw in my own reading;

For me the symbol is a cross between a pentagram and more importantly a crosshair. Much is made of the family returning from Iraq/Afghanistan in the early scenes. The movie to me demonstrated (in shock value) the damage war causes to returning soldiers and their families. The symbol/crosshair was on the back of the mirror, they were looking into the crosshairs of war and the assassinations were a metaphorical destruction of their own beliefs which ended up destroying the family unit.

EDIT: Nice one, I'll watch the interview later.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:04 PM   #40
Dr. McStuffin
Rotting Corpse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight-Kroovy View Post
Ah, fair enough mate, you make some interesting points. I'll just throw in my own reading;

For me the symbol is a cross between a pentagram and more importantly a crosshair. Much is made of the family returning from Iraq/Afghanistan in the early scenes. The movie to me demonstrated (in shock value) the damage war causes to returning soldiers and their families. The symbol/crosshair was on the back of the mirror, they were looking into the crosshairs of war and the assassinations were a metaphorical destruction of their own beliefs which ended up destroying the family unit.

EDIT: Nice one, I'll watch the interview later.
That's a good assessment but you have to wonder if Jay was a psychopath before or after the war. His being selected by the cult and what makes him distinctly different from Gal is that he's an atheist. This combined with his other wonderful qualities: vanity, cruelty, etc. places him in a great position to become what I believe to be is the
Spoiler Below
Antichrist

He is lead by the nose by his own rage until it both
Spoiler Below
destroys and exalts him to king. It's like he is destined.

Last edited by Dr. McStuffin; 06-22-2013 at 06:11 PM.