War Of The Worlds (2005) - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Horror Movies > Modern Horror

Modern Horror Horror Movies of the 1990's - present.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
HorrorMovieFan
I Eat Brains!

HorrorMovieFan has no status.

Default War Of The Worlds (2005)

"War Of The Worlds"......This 2005 remake is a pretty damn fine film!! With some wonderful special effects and a fine cast, the movie is a hit. Tom Cruise is pretty solid in the role of "Ray" and Dakota Fanning is terrific as "Rachel", despite her character having some really annoying moments. But the kid portrays some awesome facial expressions that show terror and shock. The guy who plays "Robbie" is also good, but once again the character is very annoying in many parts. Dont know why the writers chose that route, but whatever. Loved the zapping of the humans and them turning into ash. The tripods looked fantastic and the aliens were nicely done too. Steven Spielberg has given us another explosive sci-fi adventure.

8/10
Old 02-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
Justin_Voorhees
The Living Dead

Justin_Voorhees has no status.

I actually thought the movie was pretty poor and the ending was up there with signs as being downright stupid.
Justin_Voorhees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:55 PM   #3
Se7en
Send... More... Paramedics

Se7en is bout to buy an alligator for his birthday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Voorhees View Post
I actually thought the movie was pretty poor and the ending was up there with signs as being downright stupid.
Do you like anything?

Not a big fan of the film, but still.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:26 PM   #4
Renacimiento
The Fallen Angel

Renacimiento has no status.

Location: Somewhere at the bottom of the ocean, near Argentina.

I have two problems with this film, first:

"spoilers"

~ The aliens shoot lethal lightning which disintegrate humans, buildings, tanks, etc, but to exploit the house where Tom Cruise is hidden, it seems impossible.

~ The other hurdle for me, is the end, definitely meant a low blow. The child and the entire family survived, by the way, it seems that the aliens lost a piece of the world map, by not attacking that area.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:04 PM   #5
Caustic Coffee
Abuser of Power

Caustic Coffee is the I in team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Voorhees View Post
... the ending was up there with signs as being downright stupid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renacimiento View Post
~ The other hurdle for me, is the end, definitely meant a low blow. The child and the entire family survived, by the way, it seems that the aliens lost a piece of the world map, by not attacking that area.
Spoilers ahead.

Other than the ending and the Robbins scene, I thought the movie was well executed. But that's like saying, other than the taste and texture, the dish is pretty good.

For the son to have run off toward the battle, then survived at the end, along with the entire neighborhood, made me feel let down. If the son had to be sacrificed to save the daughter, the movie would have been somewhat redeemed, since most people would've lost someone. If the farmhouse scene didn't happen and they had ended the movie at some random location, like his ruined former home and met the biological mom for tears and consolations, I think I could've lived with it.

The fact that the technologically advanced aliens died of germs made me throw my popcorn bag at the screen. Climaxes that fall apart that badly negate any of the tension the movie may have built.
Caustic Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:44 PM   #6
RomeroCarpenter Fan
Rotting Corpse

RomeroCarpenter Fan has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorrorMovieFan View Post
"War Of The Worlds"......This 2005 remake is a pretty damn fine film!! With some wonderful special effects and a fine cast, the movie is a hit. Tom Cruise is pretty solid in the role of "Ray" and Dakota Fanning is terrific as "Rachel", despite her character having some really annoying moments. But the kid portrays some awesome facial expressions that show terror and shock. The guy who plays "Robbie" is also good, but once again the character is very annoying in many parts. Dont know why the writers chose that route, but whatever. Loved the zapping of the humans and them turning into ash. The tripods looked fantastic and the aliens were nicely done too. Steven Spielberg has given us another explosive sci-fi adventure.

8/10
the son should have been killed off.

(7/10)
RomeroCarpenter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:15 AM   #7
Se7en
Send... More... Paramedics

Se7en is bout to buy an alligator for his birthday

This made it all worth it.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:19 AM   #8
Rusted
Paranoid Android

Rusted has no status.

Send a message via MSN to Rusted

I have the same issues as everyone else.

Good film but the ending and Tom and the family always escaping danger was off putting.
Rusted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:36 PM   #9
Robcbh
Rotting Corpse

Robcbh is convinced we live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity

I actually, really liked this movie saw it multiple times in theaters, but im somewhat bias as this film was like the last film my dad and I enjoyed in theaters before he passed away.

The only part i was put off by was the boy charging off to battle and living.

The house scene i can live with as it did alot to show what cruise is willing to do to prtect his daughter. And the Aliens dieing from the germs...what do you want? That was the creme de la creme when the war of the worlds was first performed.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:14 PM   #10
Agent Panic
Fresh Kill

Agent Panic is not suffering fools lightly.

Here there be spoilers!

----

I really liked that scene when Dakota Fanning is by the river, and just sees the bodies floating down. That was insane.

The whole scene at the ferry was pretty great, too.

I liked the parts regarding Robbins, but specifically with Robbins in the house. His mental instability being a liability for Cruise and his daughter's survival was a good piece of the story. Not necessarily the blood spray on the houses thing. I still don't understand that.