Friday the 13th Part 2 (201?) - Page 178 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Horror Gossip, News, and Rumors

Horror Gossip, News, and Rumors Got a scoop? Heard a rumor? All your horror news and rumors go here.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:03 PM   #1771
Myerszilla
Rotting Corpse

Myerszilla is eternally internally rotting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight-Kroovy View Post
I find it strange that sequels to reboots take so long. Any other horror film e.g Paranormal Activity, Saw and there is a sequel out within a year. The reboots make money and there was high demand for TCM3D, I wonder what their thinking is...
TCM 3D wasn't in high demand, & most fans hated it, and critics literally massacred it (pun intended) so I can understand why a sequel to that film won't happen any time soon.

Not to mention, it cost $20 million to make, & had another $20 million worth of advertising, & has only made $34 million to date. That's not in demand, because if it were, though numbers would be far, far higher. The 2003 remake was made for $9 & made $80 million domestically, $107 worldwide. That movie was in demand.

Quote:
I haven't seen Elm Street cause of the terrible response but it made good money, $63 million according to imdb. Non of the remakes have had a great response but bottom line is they make money which is all they care about.

Perhaps they were expecting bigger returns and see more potential in creating new franchises like Paranormal Activity etc.
The Elm Street movie cost $35 million to make, & that's not including what the marketing costs were, so making $63 million isn't really a good thing. They made $115 million worldwide I believe, but they don't keep a large share of the profits they earn internationally (no film does unless the deal they work out is air tight).

With that said, Elm Street needed to make $70 million domestically to break even, & probably over $100 million domestically to have been a real profit.

Friday '09 was made for $19 million, & if promotion cost the same, bump that to $38 million, & the movie made about $43 million opening weekend, ending with a total of $65 million domestically & $90 million worldwide. That's good money.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #1772
Oxley
Bastard Son of 100 Maniacs

Oxley is slice'n and dice'n.

Send a message via MSN to Oxley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusted View Post
Platinum Dunes have been very quiet since their disastrous Elm St film, which is probably why production has stalled on this.
True

I hope it sent them running.

Quote:
I haven't seen Elm Street cause of the terrible response but it made good money, $63 million according to imdb. Non of the remakes have had a great response but bottom line is they make money which is all they care about.

Perhaps they were expecting bigger returns and see more potential in creating new franchises like Paranormal Activity etc.
If you look at a time line, most of the money was made opening weekend, then after that it nose dived. Once people had seen it and word got out, it sank faster than the Titanic, and not nearly as climatic.

"I do not see why man should not be just as cruel as nature." -- Adolf Hitler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa View Post
You are a sadistic, volatile and all over out of control internet cruise missile, that's what you are, Oxley.
Oxley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #1773
Myerszilla
Rotting Corpse

Myerszilla is eternally internally rotting

Yeah, the NOES is probably the only film PD made that didn't make a profit. Amityville Horror did well, TCM was a box office smash & still their greatest triumph to date, The Beginning didn't do as much business but still made enough of a profit to be a success, & F13th was a big success, but NOES didn't really do anything worth acknowledging both in terms of money making & the quality of the film itself.

I remember a lot of people thinking that it would break F13th's opening weekend record, & I didn't see it happening with A. a new Freddy that had less charisma than the first & B. a movie that wasn't really adding anything new or different to the mythology.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:57 AM   #1774
damnenchiladas
Fresh Kill

damnenchiladas is making plutonium from common household items.

REBOOT TO BE 3D

Quote:
A weird little nugget of news we missed out of THR‘s report on the ongoing CineEurope convention was that Paramount Pictures’ forthcoming Friday the 13th re-remake will be in 3-D. This all but confirms that the found-footage angle has been dropped. Now, I’m not too excited about 3-D only because it’s typically post-converted, which is always a weird decision considering how shockingly expensive it is.

David Bruckner, who is still in talks to get behind the camera, is a fantastic director whom I have complete faith in. I know he wouldn’t post-convert Jason Voorhees in the second reboot. If Bruckner can bring the fun back to the franchise, and tap into the roots of Friday the 13th Part 3, I think 3-D would be welcomed. This is the kind of franchise where the 3-D could be a fun *gimmick* as opposed to just adding depth to the Voorhees lore (not that it can’t achieve both). Thoughts?

Paramount Pictures is releasing with Platinum Dunes producing once again. A new release has been slated for November 13, 2015
3D > Found Footage any day.

Still holding out hope that Bruckner will return Jason to his original costume design...

Last edited by damnenchiladas; 06-19-2014 at 10:09 AM.
damnenchiladas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:08 AM   #1775
Deadly Fiend
Demigod

Deadly Fiend has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnenchiladas View Post
Agreed. Everything is released in 3D these days anyways.

Still, I'll be going to the 2D showing only probably. Very happy that the found footage angle has been likely dropped.
Deadly Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:09 AM   #1776
Midnight-Kroovy
The Living Dead

Midnight-Kroovy is feeling groovy

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnenchiladas View Post
REBOOT TO BE 3D

Still holding out hope that Bruckner will return Jason to his original costume design.
Found Footage works with subtlety which is basically the opposite of a F13 film. 3D at least plays to F13 strengths of being in your face, I just hope it doesn't go overboard or silly with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly Fiend View Post
Still, I'll be going to the 2D showing only probably. Very happy that the found footage angle has been likely dropped.
For me 3D has been pretty ineffective in horror (and films in general) but it doesn't really take away from it either.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:22 AM   #1777
damnenchiladas
Fresh Kill

Quote:
Found Footage works with subtlety which is basically the opposite of a F13 film. 3D at least plays to F13 strengths of being in your face, I just hope it doesn't go overboard or silly with it.

For me 3D has been pretty ineffective in horror (and films in general) but it doesn't really take away from it either.
Doesn't seem to be Brunkner's style to be campy and I don't think PD had a sudden change of heart on how they view the franchise.

And yes, 3D is best for horror when it focuses on mood and atmosphere. There are lots of things they can do with depth of shadows in the forrest and such.

My Bloody Valentine 3D remake tried to ride that line, but not very successfully. Hopefully Bruckner gives that a peak and take notes on what to avoid. Although, like you said, F13th does has room for some 3D fun.

And oh yeah, if Jason could just look like this...

..I would be so happy.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:10 PM   #1778
Nightmare
The Living Dead

Nightmare is groovy.

Awesome news! I can't wait to see a new Friday the 13th in glorious modern 3D! Yay!

Let's celebrate by jamming to this!

Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:29 PM   #1779
damnenchiladas
Fresh Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
Awesome news! I can't wait to see a new Friday the 13th in glorious modern 3D! Yay!

Let's celebrate by jamming to this!

I just made this for fun...

Old 06-21-2014, 10:32 PM   #1780
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

The Revelator is tired

Send a message via AIM to The Revelator Send a message via MSN to The Revelator

If this is any worse than TCM3D I will probably kill myself.

Tags
friday the 13th, jason voorhees, joe lynch, slasher