Jaume Balagueró's "Sleep Tight" - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Horror Movies > Foreign Horror

Foreign Horror Discussion for horror films from non US markets

Old 01-28-2011, 02:10 AM   #1
Morzongo
Not Dead Yet

Morzongo is awaiting for Kike Maillo's "EVA"

Default Jaume Balagueró's "Sleep Tight"

Hi people,

You can take a look at the teaser trailer for Jaume Balagueró's (REC) new movie here.

http://www.lashorasperdidas.com/index.php/2011/01/28/teaser-trailer-de-mientras-duermes/

Here is the synopsis of "Sleep Tight": Cesar works as a doorman in a Barcelona apartment building. Happiness eludes him and he feels the need to reaffirm his reasons for living on a daily basis. He goes about his day to day work mainly unnoticed by the residents of the building, but he pays close attention to them. He knows all the intimate details of their lives, everything about them, especially one of them. Clara is a happy-go-lucky young woman, who always looks on the positive side of things. Her cheery attitude to life makes Cesar’ skin crawl. He won’t be happy until he has wiped that smile of her face once and for all, because Cesar feeds off other people’s pain. He delights in the unhappiness and anguish of others and he loves nothing more than to plant the seed of misery and watch it grow. In Clara he has found the perfect target, and he will go to extreme lengths to make her life miserable. But Cesar is starting to get a bit too cocky, and soon his carefully thought out plans will start to unravel… Luckily for him, he has one last ace up his sleeve.
Morzongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:01 AM   #2
CastleGrapsOwner
Not Dead Yet

CastleGrapsOwner has no status.

I'm Very curious to see the Balaguerň's new project. I've loved his works, especially Nameless (Los Sin Nombre). And Rec surprised me a lot! So i'm very optimistic about this new movie!
Old 02-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #3
Agent Panic
Fresh Kill

Agent Panic is not suffering fools lightly.

I've watched this movie last night and I was really impressed with it.

I wouldn't call it a horror as much as I would a thriller and suspense. The acting was formidable. I was completely engaged in the story.

What I found most interesting with the movie was that the main character, the hotel concierge, is vile and reprehensible. However, I found myself apprehensive if he was close to getting caught or being confronted. But I had no sympathy for him, it was an odd feeling.

Really good movie.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:10 AM   #4
horrorking95
Rotting Corpse

horrorking95 is singing Believe! BY CHER!

Send a message via MSN to horrorking95

Jaume Balagueró has proved strong at directing on his own. His efforts ranged from the mediocre (Fragile) to the pretty terrible (Darkness), so I was beginning to wonder if it was his directing buddy, Paco Plaza who was mainly doing all the work in the absolutely brilliant [REC] and it's wonderful sequel. Sleep Tight, however has somehow thrown a spanner into the works. Thankfully, it's a beautiful spanner, and hopefully one which will tighten the bolt on Jaume Balagueró's career. Or perhaps Jaume Balagueró is just more comfortable at setting his films in apartments?

Sleep Tight is a brilliant, underrated and under-seen Spanish thriller. It follows an apartment concierge who has a strange relationship with one of the apartment dwellers. The whole dark idea is brilliantly introduced. It starts out full of fun and happiness with Clara energetically dancing around her apartment to some awful music. It's something we've all done before on our own isn't it? Only the mood changes with one little ped under the bed to reveal Cesar lying under it, watching Clara with his eyes wide open. It's a wonderful leap to a sinister atmosphere, and you know that you're going to be watching a good little horror film here.

It's fascinating to follow a character who isn't in the least bit likable. Cesar is largely ignored by most of the guests, but to the few who do talk to him, he comes across as a sweet natured man who wouldn't do harm to anyone. But behind their backs lies a different character who hates seeing anyone happy, especially Clara, the eternal pessimist and he'll stop at nothing to wipe the smile off her face. Sleep Tight is a gripping psychological thriller. Whilst the film never really leaves the apartment much, the film is absorbing to watch thanks to the fascinating main character and the levels of suspense and tension.

Jaume Balagueró's directing here is seriously good. There are moments of toe-curling tension which reminded me of another incredibly underrated Spanish horror/thriller, Julia's Eyes. There's a stand-out scene where Cesar is trapped in Clara's apartment and we're left wondering how on Earth he's going to get out of it! And strangely, I wanted Cesar to get away with it. I didn't want him to get caught, despite him being such a nasty piece of work. Perhaps it's because he's such an interesting character, and we're forced to saty in his company for the film's duration. However, the audience is bound to end up detesting him, especially after the final vicious twist.

My only complaint towards Sleep Tight is that it didn't go as far as I would've liked it to have. I would've really liked an all-out bloodbath of a finale where everything explodes, as the film is like a pressure cooker, which is unfortunately left simmering. But perhaps this sort of ending would've been too predictable. Nevertheless, Sleep Tight is a fantastic thriller, with a nice strong horror twang. It's creepy and the idea is disturbing. Jaume Balagueró expertly immerses us into the life of a psychotic pervert, and whilst this may make some people feel uncomfortable, I loved it. I also felt a lot of sympathy for the other subsidiary characters, which is nice to see. Sleep Tight is well worth your time.

8/10

Have a looky at my new horror movie blog!

http://asdaman.wordpress.com/
horrorking95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:17 AM   #5
Doctor RoXo
Rotting Corpse

Doctor RoXo is NOT doing cocaine...

Location: Somewhere between a Borderline and an Antisocial Personality Disorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morzongo View Post
Hi people,

You can take a look at the teaser trailer for Jaume Balagueró's (REC) new movie here.

http://www.lashorasperdidas.com/index.php/2011/01/28/teaser-trailer-de-mientras-duermes/

Here is the synopsis of "Sleep Tight": Cesar works as a doorman in a Barcelona apartment building. Happiness eludes him and he feels the need to reaffirm his reasons for living on a daily basis. He goes about his day to day work mainly unnoticed by the residents of the building, but he pays close attention to them. He knows all the intimate details of their lives, everything about them, especially one of them. Clara is a happy-go-lucky young woman, who always looks on the positive side of things. Her cheery attitude to life makes Cesar’ skin crawl. He won’t be happy until he has wiped that smile of her face once and for all, because Cesar feeds off other people’s pain. He delights in the unhappiness and anguish of others and he loves nothing more than to plant the seed of misery and watch it grow. In Clara he has found the perfect target, and he will go to extreme lengths to make her life miserable. But Cesar is starting to get a bit too cocky, and soon his carefully thought out plans will start to unravel… Luckily for him, he has one last ace up his sleeve.
sounds great. can't wait to see it.
Doctor RoXo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:19 AM   #6
Midnight-Kroovy
The Living Dead

Midnight-Kroovy is feeling groovy

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorking95 View Post
8/10
I'm glad you like it so much, I'd rate it about the same.

I love its hitchcockian approach and I think a bloodbath finale would have gone entirely against its purpose. The movie really gets under your skin as Cesar infests us like he does the apartment.

Jaume Balagueró is proving to be a great director as the tension in some of the scenes is unbearable. It's interesting that [REC]3 which he DIDN'T direct apparently sucks and he's returning to solely direct [REC]4.

Last edited by Midnight-Kroovy; 02-02-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Midnight-Kroovy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jaume balagueró, luis tosar, marta etura, sleep tight