85th Annual Academy Awards (2013) - Page 10 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > General Talk > Entertainment

Entertainment General talk about movies, tv, etc.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:55 AM   #91
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

The Revelator is tired

Send a message via AIM to The Revelator Send a message via MSN to The Revelator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Devil's Lyric View Post
Yeah, I really couldn't have called that. I'm pretty certain he'll take the Oscar now, too. I thought he was out of the race entirely but this has mixed things up greatly. The only competition I think he might have in the Screenplay category is Zero Dark Thirty, but remember a couple of years ago when Mark Boal took the trophy that was rightfully Tarantino's? Yeah, that's not gonna happen again.
Agreed. Having just seen Django Unchained yesterday, I can easily say it deserves a Screenplay award. His strongest material in a long time. Not that his other recent work was weak, that would be silly to imply.

Django Unchained could have a big night!
Old 01-14-2013, 09:10 AM   #92
The Devil's Lyric
Rotting Corpse

The Devil's Lyric is fucked up on Quaaludes

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Revelator View Post
Agreed. Having just seen Django Unchained yesterday, I can easily say it deserves a Screenplay award. His strongest material in a long time. Not that his other recent work was weak, that would be silly to imply.

Django Unchained could have a big night!
I can attest to that too. It's his first screenplay since Jackie Brown that he's used a linear structure and I think that's where this film excels where perhaps his other movies didn't. It truly feels like an adventure; Django makes the journey from a face among a crowd of slaves to an almost folkloric hero that we're cheering for by the climax of the movie. Less of the indulgences in cinema fanboyism, a bigger focus on the story and characters at hand. That's what sets this one apart.
The Devil's Lyric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #93
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

The Revelator is tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Devil's Lyric View Post
I can attest to that too. It's his first screenplay since Jackie Brown that he's used a linear structure and I think that's where this film excels where perhaps his other movies didn't. It truly feels like an adventure; Django makes the journey from a face among a crowd of slaves to an almost folkloric hero that we're cheering for by the climax of the movie. Less of the indulgences in cinema fanboyism, a bigger focus on the story and characters at hand. That's what sets this one apart.
Hell yes. Any attempts at showing off his knowledge of film were in the style and structure of the film, not through direct dialogue.

By the end of this you can't help but cheer on Django. Great character transformation. During the first half I was like "I feel he is underdeveloped and kind of a sidekick". Those thoughts are 100% erased by the end. Django is the perfect movie hero.

Spoiler Below
When he kills the three slave transports and frees the other three slaves and rides away and you see the one slave smile, that sealed the deal.

For such a long movie, I never felt bored or that ANY bit was dragged out or unnecessary. Some bits were more hysterical than most comedies I've ever seen, and the fucking shoot outs and action scenes are easily some of the best I've ever seen. Glorious... Can't wait to see it again.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:46 AM   #94
The Devil's Lyric
Rotting Corpse

The Devil's Lyric is fucked up on Quaaludes

Quote:
Hell yes. Any attempts at showing off his knowledge of film were in the style and structure of the film, not through direct dialogue.

By the end of this you can't help but cheer on Django. Great character transformation. During the first half I was like "I feel he is underdeveloped and kind of a sidekick". Those thoughts are 100% erased by the end. Django is the perfect movie hero.

Spoiler Below
When he kills the three slave transports and frees the other three slaves and rides away and you see the one slave smile, that sealed the deal.

For such a long movie, I never felt bored or that ANY bit was dragged out or unnecessary. Some bits were more hysterical than most comedies I've ever seen, and the fucking shoot outs and action scenes are easily some of the best I've ever seen. Glorious... Can't wait to see it again.

Perfectly put. You've succeeded in making me want to watch this again... right now.
The Devil's Lyric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:12 PM   #95
HorrorMovieFan
I Eat Brains!

HorrorMovieFan has no status.

Best Picture is between Argo, Les Miserables, and Lincoln. "Argo" won the Broadcast Critics Choice and Golden Globe for Best Picture and "Les Mis" won Best Picture Comedy/Musical at the Globes. "Lincoln" has won some low rated critics awards for Best Picture but nothing major yet. However I think we may see a "Titanic" type win for "Lincoln" where it will just come through at the Oscars. Its a crazy and exciting race nonetheless. All 3 films are SAG nommed. So we will see who wins Ensemble Cast there next Sunday night.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:25 PM   #96
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

The Revelator is tired

Interesting, I have a hard time seeing Les Mis winning. Its easily the worst reviewed of the bunch. I did like it quite a bit though.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #97
HorrorMovieFan
I Eat Brains!

HorrorMovieFan has no status.

Quote:
Interesting, I have a hard time seeing Les Mis winning. Its easily the worst reviewed of the bunch. I did like it quite a bit though.
We will see what happens with SAG this Sunday and BAFTA's next month. If in fact Les Mis wins SAG Ensemble Cast and either BAFTA Best Film or Best British Film, then its all over for everyone else.

However, I still think Argo is the frontrunner, but think the Academy will go for an epic film, and only Les Mis and Lincoln are the big epic films nominated. Its an intense and fun race this year for many categories.

Last edited by HorrorMovieFan; 01-22-2013 at 01:23 PM.
HorrorMovieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:07 PM   #98
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

The Revelator is tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorrorMovieFan View Post
We will see what happens with SAG this Sunday and BAFTA's next month. If in fact Les Mis wins SAG Ensemble Cast and either BAFTA Best Film or Best British Film, then its all over for everyone else.

However, I still think Argo is the frontrunner, but think the Academy will go for an epic film, and only Les Mis and Lincoln are the big epic films nominated. Its an intense and fun race this year for many categories.
I think youre putting too much to Les Mis credit. Lincoln, Argo, and Life of Pi have a much better shot of winning, especially based on precursor awards. It will win best supporting actress I think. Les Mis was the front runner a few months ago but it peaked way too soon. Argo or Lincoln will win.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #99
Santa
The Necromancer

Santa is stronger than the foundations of the earth

Saw Django today and was totally blown away by it. Boy, I wish Waltz will snatch Best Supporting Actor, he was waaaaay better than in Inglorious...damn he is good in Django.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Doll
I would jizz on you if I were a man. I would jizz on everything if I had a penis for one day. Oh man I bet that feels so good. You guys are so lucky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonia
I like to skip dessert and get right down to relaxing after a meal with a hot bath and a facial.
Santa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #100
Heretic
It... Won't... Die...

Heretic is up to shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa Sangre View Post
Saw Django today and was totally blown away by it. Boy, I wish Waltz will snatch Best Supporting Actor, he was waaaaay better than in Inglorious...damn he is good in Django.
Not even close.

Heretic is online now   Reply With Quote