The Woman In Black (2012) - Page 12 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Horror Movies > Modern Horror

Modern Horror Horror Movies of the 1990's - present.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:57 AM   #111
Heathen
BANNED

Heathen is advising that if you kiss a corpse, you had better be willing to go all the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babagloom View Post
Classic child death. Sigh....
That's what I wanted to do to Baby Firefly when she was prattling on about ice cream.
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #112
dead breed
Super Moderator

dead breed is fire walk with me.

The Woman in Black (2012) - 7.5/10
Old 09-20-2012, 09:55 PM   #113
967-Evil
Rotting Corpse

967-Evil is once again entering the world of survival horror

My wife and I just put up the Halloween decorations and I rented two movies from Red Box, this movie and Cabin in the Woods. I had really high expectations for Cabin in the Woods, and I had no idea what Woman in Black was other than a remake. Cabin in the Woods turned out to be a disappointment and this turned out to be a pleasant surprise. The plot is nothing special, but the atmosphere was spooky. This movie should only be watched at night with the lights off and some candles lit. Otherwise it won't be near as effective.
967-Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:38 PM   #114
Heathen
BANNED

Heathen is advising that if you kiss a corpse, you had better be willing to go all the way.

TWIB maintained a sense of dread throughout, but there's a 15-20 minute section in the middle that is incredibly tense, oddly more so than the climax. The script transitions oddly from that section, with the protag basically shaking off the terror.

I'm excited to see Hammer's next feature, The Quiet Ones.
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:26 AM   #115
Vampira_Re-Animated
Fresh Kill

Vampira_Re-Animated is Bloodsuckers Anonymous

It was a well-directed movie however it was way too short. It didn't give a chance to build up the atmosphere and I didn't feel like anything happened. It had potential but it failed to deliver at the end. It felt like it was cut short and wrapped up. Just like someone writing a great story and then deciding to end it with "And then I woke up and it was all a dream" But it wasn't a big of waste of time. It had its moments.

When there is no more room in hell. The dead will walk the Earth.
Vampira_Re-Animated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:43 PM   #116
HorrorMovieFan
I Eat Brains!

HorrorMovieFan has no status.

"The Woman In Black (2011)"......This was a damn good movie!! It is a fine and appropriate return to atmospheric horror movies for the once great Hammer Films. It sticks to the source material's (the 1983 novel by Susan Hill) original time period (the late 19th century to the early 20th century), with authentic costumes, sets, and a spectacularly creepy haunted house. The mood is perfect (emphasized by extreme isolation), the sustained dread is gut-wrenching, and the anticipation is very unnerving at times. Although this is a ghost story with the standard rotting abandoned mansion as the central location, it presents several very unique ideas for old-fashioned hauntings. Daniel Radcliff is in top notch form with his performance of "Arthur Kipps", an attorney who has lost his wife during childbirth a few years earlier. He frequently has visions of her in her wedding dress (symbolically, the woman in white), which gives him a newfound sense of spiritualism. However I think the visions were shown a little too frequently and it got tiresome. His last assignment is to journey to a remote village on the outskirts of England. Once there, he must sort out the papers left at Eel Marsh House to finalize the financial and legal dealings of the recently deceased Mrs. Drablow. Although the townspeople wish for Kipps to leave as swiftly as he arrives, he finds a friend in Simon Daily (Ciaran Hinds), and one who has lost his son in an accident and whose wife (Janet McTeer) has gone crazy with mental suffering. What is supposed to be a simple job becomes plagued by disconcerting secrets, the mysterious deaths of children, and the unnatural sightings of an ebony-veiled woman in black funeral attire. The use of demonic-looking toy contraptions and unnerving dolls is nothing new. Nor are the expected, manipulative jump scares fueled by loud thuds, screeches, and jarring sound effects (and a pesky crow), or the sudden appearances of otherworldly imagery coupled with shocking high music score tones. But the evil spirit itself is wonderfully singular in its ability to scare through subtle materialization (coming into sight in alarming manner, with slower paced emergence's more traumatizing than the rapid ones), its targeting of children and pattern of avoiding physical harm to adults, and most of all in its vengeful mission that cannot be appeased or calmed. She's a wronged poltergeist of legendary ill-omen stature and foreshadowing doom. She's not meant to be satisfied, but rather endured. The atmosphere in this movie is crisp, scary, unsettling, and chilling!! A terrific watch!!

9/10
Old 10-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #117
Beholder
Not Dead Yet

Beholder has no status.

Liked: creepy mansion, creepy village, classic premise and classic scares.

Disliked: stupid characters and the ending was not consistent with the rest of the movie. Earsplitting sound spikes!

Last word: If you don't mind dumb characters and are in the mood for a classic creepy mansion flick, I highly recommend this film. Don't expect much and you won't be disappointed.

Last edited by Beholder; 10-07-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Beholder is offline   Reply With Quote