The Dark Knight Rises (2012) - Page 280 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > General Talk > Entertainment

Entertainment General talk about movies, tv, etc.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #2791
Sykopath
The Last Son

Sykopath is doing nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Hag View Post
But it is due to a myriad of very valid reasons pointed out already. To give the thing a 10/10 or call it the best film of the year is an example of incredibly low standards.
Name me one of your favorite films and I'll give you valid plot holes in the movie, and after I name them, tell me you still like it, and I'll say you have incredibly low standards.

The scale of this film is just mindblowing for a superhero film. I mean, it's hard to think back to 2005 and recall how risky Batman Begins seemed at the time, and how little fanfare it received upon its release. Especially when you look at the final entry in the trilogy and see how numerous cities bent over backwards to accommodate the shooting. The action sequences are simply incredible, and it's easy to see that Nolan drew his inspiration from the "Cast of Thousands" days of the great silent epics. Extras = scale, and it's almost inconceivable, when you look at the fight on Wall Street, that not one of those people is a CG insert. That they actually did this all for real. But they did, and that's just brilliant. The stage on which this film plays out is simply massive.

And yet, it's also startlingly intimate. Seeing Bruce grow into himself in this film is quite a thing to behold, and there's nothing else quite like it in the whole of the Batman universe. Watching him escape from the pit, recalling how his father saved him from the well as a child...now he's saving himself. It's a transcendent moment where Bruce, in a very real and meaningful sense, becomes his own man. This film actually allows Bruce Wayne to move beyond his pain and his anger...to realize that he doesn't have to be a martyr to be a hero...to actually be able to say that what he's done is enough to honor the memory of his fallen parents. That Gotham City needn't be PERFECT in order for him to have a real life. And there's a difference between simply ceasing to be Batman, and having this realization. Bruce stopped being Batman after the events of TDK...but he didn't stop NEEDING Batman, even after Gotham City seemingly did. By the end of TDKR, he no longer needs Batman. He no longer needs all of that pain, guilt, and anger. He's outgrown it. He's transcended it.

The film's not perfect...but it doesn't have to be. As an end to Bruce Wayne's journey, and a fulfillment of the themes and promises of its predecessors, it's quite beautiful.
Sykopath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:18 PM   #2792
Klown
Super Moderator

Klown has no status.

That's all well and good, but you're willing to overlook the holes. Whereas some of us are not. I like the film. On the technical side, it's top-notch. It's the story that starts to crumble. I don't want to re-list everything that has been mentioned, but the list of holes is quite extensive. Sure you can nitpick any film, but they shouldn't bug you after the film is long over.

Blu-ray / DVD Collection | Horror Etc. Podcast
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeySleepConform View Post
Thank God for Jeff Goldblum
Klown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #2793
The Geek
Schlock King

The Geek is dancing with himself!

Send a message via Skype™ to The Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Hag View Post
But it is due to a myriad of very valid reasons pointed out already. To give the thing a 10/10 or call it the best film of the year is an example of incredibly low standards.
Dude it's called a matter of opinion. You didn't like it? cool but stop acting like a dick to everyone who does.

The Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #2794
bloodydollface
Rotting Corpse

bloodydollface is a shithead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post
Name me one of your favorite films and I'll give you valid plot holes in the movie, and after I name them, tell me you still like it, and I'll say you have incredibly low standards.

The scale of this film is just mindblowing for a superhero film. I mean, it's hard to think back to 2005 and recall how risky Batman Begins seemed at the time, and how little fanfare it received upon its release. Especially when you look at the final entry in the trilogy and see how numerous cities bent over backwards to accommodate the shooting. The action sequences are simply incredible, and it's easy to see that Nolan drew his inspiration from the "Cast of Thousands" days of the great silent epics. Extras = scale, and it's almost inconceivable, when you look at the fight on Wall Street, that not one of those people is a CG insert. That they actually did this all for real. But they did, and that's just brilliant. The stage on which this film plays out is simply massive.

And yet, it's also startlingly intimate. Seeing Bruce grow into himself in this film is quite a thing to behold, and there's nothing else quite like it in the whole of the Batman universe. Watching him escape from the pit, recalling how his father saved him from the well as a child...now he's saving himself. It's a transcendent moment where Bruce, in a very real and meaningful sense, becomes his own man. This film actually allows Bruce Wayne to move beyond his pain and his anger...to realize that he doesn't have to be a martyr to be a hero...to actually be able to say that what he's done is enough to honor the memory of his fallen parents. That Gotham City needn't be PERFECT in order for him to have a real life. And there's a difference between simply ceasing to be Batman, and having this realization. Bruce stopped being Batman after the events of TDK...but he didn't stop NEEDING Batman, even after Gotham City seemingly did. By the end of TDKR, he no longer needs Batman. He no longer needs all of that pain, guilt, and anger. He's outgrown it. He's transcended it.

The film's not perfect...but it doesn't have to be. As an end to Bruce Wayne's journey, and a fulfillment of the themes and promises of its predecessors, it's quite beautiful.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can find plot holes in any movie. It's not that uncommon. But you when you have a trilogy, and loose ends and plot holes come into effect it can ruin a series. I loved the movie, but it isn't even close to a movie of the year nod or a perfect score. If you were rating the film solely based off of the visuals it would be perfect, but the story is not, and that's a problem. Not a major problem, but still a problem. Especially that this is the final movie in the trilogy. It needs to fill the loose plot holes, which contrary to some "do exist." Like you stated, the film does not need to be perfect, but it needed to address certain issues involving the story which were left out.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #2795
Rusted
Paranoid Android

Rusted has no status.

Send a message via MSN to Rusted

The main issue comes from the fact that this is a Chris Nolan film.

If it were directed by PW Anderson or some other B grade director I'd bet most people wouldn't even take the plot holes and into consideration, because you expect flaws from hacks, but Nolan is a perfectionist. You expect a director of his caliber to go over every detail with a fine tooth comb. He has a perfect track record because of how meticulous he is, but here he dropped the ball hard and people weren't expecting it.
Rusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #2796
Heretic
It... Won't... Die...

Heretic is up to shenanigans

Well, I gave it another chance.

Much, MUCH better than the first viewing. The plot really comes together.

That being said, I think my old man summed up the problems pretty good. He's no film aficionado, but his words ring true. And I quote.....

"Batman is kind of a pussy in this moive, isn't he?"

Yup.

Last edited by Heretic; 12-08-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:05 PM   #2797
Edo
Fresh Kill

Edo is not a whore

I always thought plot holes were such a cheap way to shit on a film. I tend to look at more of the bigger picture, and it's not because I have low standards. I have a willingness to look over all the petty things that other people frivolously babble about. It just seems like people rage about these films just for the sake of raging.
I thought it was excellent, much better than I thought it would be since I'm not a huge TDK fan.
Edo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:37 PM   #2798
bloodydollface
Rotting Corpse

bloodydollface is a shithead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edo View Post
I always thought plot holes were such a cheap way to shit on a film. I tend to look at more of the bigger picture, and it's not because I have low standards. I have a willingness to look over all the petty things that other people frivolously babble about. It just seems like people rage about these films just for the sake of raging.
I thought it was excellent, much better than I thought it would be since I'm not a huge TDK fan.
For people who aren't as into this series (like yourself) as others, it's probably much easier to forgive or look over some missing pieces of the story. Just as it is with many other things, but die-hard fans and strong followers of the series, want and deserve closure on some things. Yes, it was a fantastic film, but it still left much to be desired by fans of the series.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:49 PM   #2799
Sykopath
The Last Son

Sykopath is doing nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klown View Post
That's all well and good, but you're willing to overlook the holes. Whereas some of us are not. I like the film. On the technical side, it's top-notch. It's the story that starts to crumble. I don't want to re-list everything that has been mentioned, but the list of holes is quite extensive. Sure you can nitpick any film, but they shouldn't bug you after the film is long over.
I'm not willing to overlook the holes...however, I am willing to look past the small things like, "how did Bruce get back to Gotham from the prison?", because there's a simple answer; he's Batman.

Sometimes I think some people nit-pick like that because they WANT to find mistakes. But after awhile those mistakes don't matter anymore. It happened like that with TDK; people have learned to look past the plot-holes and enjoy the movie for what it is. I don't dwell on the little things, that would ruin every movie for me. If I wanted something more real I wouldn't be watching science fiction. haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodydollface View Post
but die-hard fans and strong followers of the series, want and deserve closure on some things. Yes, it was a fantastic film, but it still left much to be desired by fans of the series.
It's apparent you're not looking for closure from the whole series but from the movies individually. I'm as big a Batman fan you'll find, but I still don't destroy the movie by noticing the little problems that weren't answered. The trilogy as a whole is quite perfect, but if you're looking at the movies individually you'll find the same unanswered questions in ALL of them.
Sykopath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:11 PM   #2800
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

The Revelator is tired

Send a message via AIM to The Revelator Send a message via MSN to The Revelator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieGeek View Post
How the hell did they act like the second film never happened? Did you actually watch the movie?

Just because The Joker isn't mentioned doesn't mean the second film was ignored.

You're just bitching for the sake of bitching now.
Chill out... I'm aware that this film mentions the the 2nd film and obviously cannot take place without any of that film's events. I was referring to the Joker character not being referenced, I thought it was a cop-out, but it wasn't something that actively took my pleasure away from the movie until well after I first saw this one. Just thought it should have been made much more apparent since it was a turning point in Gotham's history. Why does everybody have to get so hostile so easily around here lately?

Everybody is acting like I hated this movie. As has been stated 2093740238402384 times now, the film is a technical marvel and stands as a culmination of Nolan's efforts as a filmmaker. I have major issues with the plot, however. No need to say what has already been said.

edit

I'm gonna watch this one more time. I like a lot of what I've read in this board and I'm gonna watch it with some new things in mind.

Last edited by The Revelator; 12-08-2012 at 11:22 PM.
The Revelator is offline   Reply With Quote