What are the most shocking and disturbing books you've ever read? - Page 6 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > General Talk > Books, Magazines, Literature, etc..

Books, Magazines, Literature, etc.. Some of us really do know how to read!

Old 03-10-2012, 04:05 AM   #51
titania86
Not Dead Yet

titania86 has no status.

The End of Alice by A.M. Homes - Told from the POV of a pedophile in jail reminiscing about his life and how he got there. Very disturbing stuff: pedophilia, incest, murder, etc. One of my favorite books.

Crossed by Garth Ennis - Interesting take on post-apocalyptic scenerio where people turn into cannibalistic rapists. It gets comically over the top sometimes, but overall pretty good.

The Collector by John Fowles - Man holds woman he's obsessed over captive in his basement. It's told from both of the points of view.

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov - Humbert Humbert is in love with adolescent Dolores (Lolita) and, after her mother dies, he kidnaps her.

House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski - Crazy book about a couple finding their house is much bigger on the inside than the outside. Kind of like a found footage movie but much more involved and infinitely better.

Geek Love by Katherine Dunn - Dysfunctional family within a family of carnies.

Misery and Gerald's Game by Stephen King - Both really got under my skin.

Josie and Jack by Kelly Braffet - Creepily close siblings, kind of a dark modern retelling of Hansel and Gretel.

I second American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis and Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk. The Girl Next Door seriously tops my list. It's the only book to ever make me completely lose my appetite and force me to read it in a matter of hours.

I've been recommended Cows by Matthew Stokoe and The Painted Bird by Jerzy Kosinksi, but I haven't read them yet.
titania86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:21 PM   #52
Hannibal Rex
Rotting Corpse

Hannibal Rex is powerpacked hard flexin'.

When I was in high school, I read American Psycho. I would read it in class and when I came to a particularly disgusting part, I would tell the person next to me, "Read from here... to here." I would sit and watch their facial expression change from curious to revolted to total shock. Then, I would laugh. Good times.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:07 PM   #53
nancylives!
The Living Dead

nancylives! is living!

act of love by joe lansdale. an excellent book, riveting, violent, and unapologetic. there is one section in particular, where the killer's emergent habits are described, one of his earliest acts, and it's completely, completely fucked up. disturbing as only the great joe lansdale can do...

1. return of the living dead 3 (1993)
2. shocker (1989)
3. the cat people (1942)
4. the hunger (1983)
5. let me in (2010)
6. bride of re-animator (1989)
7. creature from the black lagoon (1954)
8. thir13en ghosts (2001)
9. blacula (1972)
10. swamp thing (1982)
nancylives! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:17 AM   #54
Se7en
It... Won't... Die...

Se7en is blazin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Rex View Post
When I was in high school, I read American Psycho. I would read it in class and when I came to a particularly disgusting part, I would tell the person next to me, "Read from here... to here." I would sit and watch their facial expression change from curious to revolted to total shock. Then, I would laugh. Good times.
I did the exact same thing.

Love that fucking book.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:19 PM   #55
Frey
BANNED

Frey is here to fulfill Ra's Al Ghul's destiny!

Send a message via Yahoo to Frey

In terms of disturbing I would say right off the book that comes to mind is Memnoch The Devil by Anne Rice. It is book 5 in the Vampire Chronicles. There isnt much action in the book but 3/4 of the book is Lestat having a conversation with the devil and some of the things he shows Lestat are very brutal and hard to read.
Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #56
Midnight-Kroovy
The Living Dead

Midnight-Kroovy is feeling groovy

Off Season by Jack Ketchum. Very primitive and unflinching like revenge films and a riveting read. I was gutted that the sequel "The Offspring" was made into a film instead and is apparently very average. Haven't read the book or seen the film myself though.

The Girl Next Door is getting a lot of mentions so I should check that out.
Midnight-Kroovy is offline   Reply With Quote