Godzilla (1954) - Page 3 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Horror Movies > Classic Horror

Classic Horror From earliest Horror Classics - 1950's.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #21
horrorbuff28
Rotting Corpse

horrorbuff28 is slaying dragons.

Always wanted to see this, looks awesome.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:19 AM   #22
HorrorManicFanatic
Not Dead Yet

HorrorManicFanatic has no status.

I saw the 1956 version first, bought it at a cheap discount store. I didn't mind it but when I found out about the original 1954 version I wanted to watch it as soon as possible. Once I managed to get a copy and watched it I was glad I did because I found it to be far superior.

I like to always check out the original version of any film first if there is a remake or different version and I believe this instance was what made me start this rule I adhere to.

So what do I dislike about the 1956 version? Mainly what it cut out in terms of references to Hiroshima. I can understand why it was done at the time but I feel it diminishes the film. I guess it would be a good version to start with though for someone who knows nothing or very little about Godzilla as an entry into the series.

I like to try and say some positive things about movies I don't like and another thing I would say about the 1956 version is that the awesome Godzilla theme isn't cut out or altered in this version, which would have been disrespectful.

Last edited by HorrorManicFanatic; 11-15-2013 at 08:21 AM. Reason: fixing a sentence that needed a missing word to create the correct intended context.
HorrorManicFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:39 AM   #23
Bill Carson
Fresh Kill

Bill Carson is Looking Ahead...

Default GODZILLA (1954)

I haven't seen ANY of the old-school, Japanese Gojira films in years. Hoping to snare the Criterion Blu-ray soon -

Bill Carson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #24
Mmagot
Fresh Kill

Mmagot is Harvesting The Garden

Send a message via AIM to Mmagot

ive seen all the Godzilla except the second one and last two. I think they are all amazing.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #25
Jack the Pin
Send... More... Paramedics

Jack the Pin is trying to tie a bell around the tail of his Cartesian demon

I think the American version has a certain charm, even though it is a highly edited version of the original source material. The company that bought the rights to release the film in American had a big job ahead of them--to edit the film in such way as to include an American actor and to insert extraneous post production filming into the original in a way that looks seamless and doesn't disrupt continuity. They did a sensitive an affectionate job, and there are some neat tricks they employed in doing it. Obviously the American distributors loved and respected the original enough to not commit a complete hatchet job on it for the sake of turning a dollar.

The rest is cinematic history.
Jack the Pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:14 AM   #26
Mmagot
Fresh Kill

Mmagot is Harvesting The Garden

Send a message via AIM to Mmagot

I still think the original one will be better then the new one coming out in 2014
Old 12-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #27
Oxley
Bastard Son of 100 Maniacs

Oxley is slice'n and dice'n.

Send a message via MSN to Oxley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Carson View Post
I haven't seen ANY of the old-school, Japanese Gojira films in years. Hoping to snare the Criterion Blu-ray soon -

I'd recommend it, highly! An absolutely beautiful transfer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmagot View Post
I still think the original one will be better then the new one coming out in 2014
No shit. I don't think anything can take away from the original. The new one will be fucking awesome. But the original sense of awe and shock is gone. That can't be re-done. We all know the basic story/character.

It'll be fucking awesome; but the original is untouchable.

"I do not see why man should not be just as cruel as nature." -- Adolf Hitler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa View Post
You are a sadistic, volatile and all over out of control internet cruise missile, that's what you are, Oxley.
Oxley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #28
damnenchiladas
Fresh Kill

damnenchiladas is making plutonium from common household items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmagot View Post
I am not sure you can ever top the 1954 installment of the series, but then again, that has less to do with the quality of the two films and more to do with the social context the original carries with it.

Gojira is the story of a nation coming to terms with the aftermath of a real tragedy that changed the world forever. The devastation left behind by the attacks on Nagasaki and Hiroshima were the result of man's darkest curiosities. Godzilla represents that shadow of fear that is cast over all nations when it comes to the ultimate weapon for which there is no defense.

In 1954, the fear of nuclear strikes was far higher than now. At that time, nations were building up their nuclear weapons supplies and looked as if they were heading towards the most destructive war ever known. The war to end all wars. Businesses and Schools ran nuclear drills on a weekly and sometimes daily basis. Because of that, this subject struck a much deeper nerve in the social conscious because it was at forefront of people's minds.

When we all step into the theater in May of 2014, I would be safe to say that today's audiences don't fear much. I sure as hell don't. I've never had to hide under my desk or cower at the thought of an invading force. Sure, we do have the unfortunate circumstances of mass shootings and suicide bombers, but nothing on the scale of nuclear weapons. Nothing that threatens the very existence of man.

Today, we have no social context, or collective fear, that wears Godzilla like a kabuki mask. Sure, we've seen a few things, but nothing on the level of having two major cities erased from the face of the Earth. So what's left? Global Warming? September 11th? Child's play in comparison.

I am really hoping G2014 is a great film and I do think it will be. From a pure film making standpoint, the production quality, acting, and special effects will be 1000 times greater than the original. But nothing will ever top the original cultural impact for if it were do to so, would need to come on the heels of yet another chapter of human tragedy. And I don't think any of us want that.
damnenchiladas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:01 AM   #29
HorrorMovieFan
I Eat Brains!

HorrorMovieFan has no status.

"Gojira".....The original 1954 Japanese version of Godzilla is a bit better than the Americanized version. The difference is in the storyline and a few scenes not shown in the 1956 reboot. These changes make the original a little stronger and help the flow of the film. Godzilla/Gojira is one of the greatest cinematic monsters of all time!!

8.5/10

Tags
1954, drama, horror, ishiro honda, sci-fi