Film Makers Thread - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > The Fan Forum

The Fan Forum Post all your fan art here for everyone to enjoy. Fan Films, pictures, songs, poems, stories, whatever...

Old 05-18-2007, 06:06 AM   #1
depecheanix
It... Won't... Die...

depecheanix is fgsdoi dsn dsnfm ods

Default Film Makers Thread

So basically this thread is for any film making related chat, theres so many things to talk about that aren't necessarily worthy of a whole thread, like my cgi test, so basically talk about it all here.

Cameras.
Whatever your working on.
Special effects.
If you want to know how to achieve a certain shot.
What gear you have.
Storyboards.
Can't decide what music to use in your short.
Or maybe if you aren't to sure about the colors you've chosen for your film ask for opinions here.

THIS THREAD ISN'T FOR POSTING YOUR SHORT FILMS IN! JUST FOR BIT'S AND PIECES THAT DON'T FIT ANYWHERE ELSE. If you're posting a completely finished short that you have made it would probably be best to make a new thread for opinions, this thread is more for pre/post production chat.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:11 AM   #2
Nosferatuscreams
Send... More... Paramedics

Nosferatuscreams has no status.

Send a message via AIM to Nosferatuscreams Send a message via MSN to Nosferatuscreams

Cool thread, I've actually been trying to push the idea of a whole forum dedicated to the filmmaking process but until then, sweet thread.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:19 AM   #3
Nosferatuscreams
Send... More... Paramedics

Nosferatuscreams has no status.

Send a message via AIM to Nosferatuscreams Send a message via MSN to Nosferatuscreams

Actually, sticky? Yeah, sticky.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:32 AM   #4
depecheanix
It... Won't... Die...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatuscreams View Post
Cool thread, I've actually been trying to push the idea of a whole forum dedicated to the filmmaking process but until then, sweet thread.
Yeah a whole film making forum would be cool. Much of the film making chat get's lost in between things such as fan art. Not that there is anything wrong with fan art, it would just be better if the film making stuff was separated.

Last edited by depecheanix; 05-18-2007 at 06:35 AM.
depecheanix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 12:45 PM   #5
SuicideByScissor
Fresh Kill

SuicideByScissor has no status.

Alright film makers... AVID vs. Final Cut Pro Heaven or Hell, Let's rock!

I started on AVID before i ever used Final Cut Pro. I still have a lot to learn about both of them but i prefer AVID. Trim mode is a life saver. A lot of my friends love Final Cut Pro though. What do you guys prefer?

Suddenly it's going to dawn on you.
My DVD's
SuicideByScissor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:41 AM   #6
Ghatt Prod
Not Dead Yet

Ghatt Prod has no status.

as far as gear, i've used the dvx-100 for several shoots and have had soem great results. It has been used on some indie films that steve buscemi did as well as the jackass movie.

i'm an indie director and in my experience the easiest way to get your stuff off the ground is find someone that will either let you use their gear for free or offer a person with a camera a small fee to shoot your film. Chances are they will work for fairly cheap. Thats my two cents. Let me know if i can help anyone with anything.
Ghatt Prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 01:12 PM   #7
mR_BuNgLe
Time Cop

mR_BuNgLe has no status.

Cool thread, I'm definitely gonna geek it up a bit...

This camera is pretty much why film is obsolete:

Panasonic AG-HVX200

AG-HVX200 with Mini35

That was the setup we had for a film I shot at film school, except we had the Panasonic DVX100, which is an older model. It looked unbelievable, that is when we remembered to turn the ground glass on.

The HVX200 is still fairly expensive, while the DVX100 has gone down in price considerably and is still an amazing camera to own.
mR_BuNgLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:54 AM   #8
BloodintheBay
Not Dead Yet

BloodintheBay is a loser baby.. so why don't you kill me..

Send a message via AIM to BloodintheBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mR_BuNgLe View Post
Cool thread, I'm definitely gonna geek it up a bit...

This camera is pretty much why film is obsolete:

Panasonic AG-HVX200

AG-HVX200 with Mini35

That was the setup we had for a film I shot at film school, except we had the Panasonic DVX100, which is an older model. It looked unbelievable, that is when we remembered to turn the ground glass on.

The HVX200 is still fairly expensive, while the DVX100 has gone down in price considerably and is still an amazing camera to own.
Thats the what I have.. and what we are shooting "blood in the bay" on in early October.. we have a 35mm lenses adapter as well..

Add me, bitches
BloodintheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:00 AM   #9
BloodintheBay
Not Dead Yet

BloodintheBay is a loser baby.. so why don't you kill me..

Send a message via AIM to BloodintheBay

Hey guys.. I didn't even know this thread existed until today.. so I am stoked about having this opportunity.. I have a killing scene on a beach at night.. I am prepared to do an HMI for my moon light.. then zip line china balls with CFLs to create an soft glow for the ambient light.. I have a creature in the shot that I am going to back light.. Does this sound like it will work?? I don't know too much about light.. I got this suggestion from the DP from the Onion..

anybody having any other thoughts??

Add me, bitches
BloodintheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 06:30 AM   #10
depecheanix
It... Won't... Die...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Shed
I am thinking about saving up for a high end camera too! If I get this job I applied for, I'll be one step closer! The one I have now pays shit.
Yeah, some of the stuff is expensive as hell. I'm buying the gear out of my university loan that I'll be getting which probably isn't the best idea .

Quote:
I thought I planned mine out pretty well but I had some difficulties. I only had 3 lights and I had no real idea how to do lighting. I just tried it out until I got a light reading. Shooting on film is a total bitch for sure but I really like how the picture came out. Some of the shots are dark but all and all, not a total failure. I also had a really hard time finding actors and then once I had them, they rushed me. I had like 2-3 hours or less to set everything up. I had to do everything myself except for acting. It kind of sucked. If I ever decide to post it on BD, I'm going to pretty much sum up my experience. I am doing some reshoots tomorrow on VHS to cover some flares in the film.
Yeah it seems that no matter how much you plan something can always fall through, I've still got that all to come yet. I think I'll try read up on lighting before I film my own short as it seems rather complicated, I have no idea where I would actually place any lights.

I don't think I'll ever work with film, I'd like to but where the short film I will be making isn't for any course but rather my own amusement all the cash will have to come out of my own pocket, so digital will have to do. I recall N2N saying he would never work on film again so I guess theres a reason for that.

Hopefully I won't have to deal with actors too much if I make the short I have planned as most of the killer in it won't be shown until the very end, all you will see in the rest of the short are his black gloves. Cheap homage I know.

Quote:
Don't worry about your short. The more planning you do, the better luck you're going to have. I am not completely disappointed with it because it came out a lot better than I thought it would. Yes, the time limit is due to a class I am taking. The short is basically a parody of Psycho...But I kind of think it goes over the head because it is so short. Kind of hard to build tension in less than a minute but I don't regret it because I've learned.
That sucks, would us horror buffs on here still be able to recognize it's a parody of psycho, or did all of the references get lost due to time constraints. Hopefully my short will go well but I'll feel like a fool if I spend a year planning and rewriting it and then it sucks. Luckily it won't have much dialog in it as my writing sucks, I can't even construct my own sentences correctly sometimes so writing for someone else is a no no.

Quote:
Man, I'm trying to animate my own opening credits like the ones from Psycho too and that's another hassle!
Have you looked in to Adobe's After Effects. It seems to be able to create some brilliant credit sequences. There's an example of it here. Although this video is of a plug in for After Effects. http://www.videocopilot.net/videostreams.html

Last edited by depecheanix; 05-18-2007 at 06:35 AM.
depecheanix is offline   Reply With Quote