BLOODY-DISGUSTING - View Single Post - Halloween 3 (201?)
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #2037
Myerszilla
Rotting Corpse

Myerszilla is eternally internally rotting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7en XxSinzXx View Post
I'm sure if there was a Batman reboot, The Joker and Bane would be the first used.
Very doubtful. Warner Bros. isn't stupid. Yes, the Joker is a money maker & a large cash cow, but they're not just going to throw him into the forefront without building up hype, even if it is a reboot.

Quote:
And my point is when you remake a film, the entire point is to add to the legacy and universe of the series you're rebooting and to improve on certain shortcomings the original film(s) may have had. (Done flawlessly in Last House and Hills IMO)
But how can you add to a legacy & mythology if it's the same thing over & over with subtle differences? You have to be willing to push past the boundaries that have already been set. We've already gotten six films with Michael chasing Laurie Strode, & eight films focused on him hunting down family.

I don't see the problem with keeping Michael & Loomis, but ditching the family story angle & introducing new characters. That sounds far better than rehashing the same stories. There are even comic books with stories revolving around Michael targeting other people besides family members, & they work magnificently.

The beautiful thing the original got right & that the sequels and thousands of other horror films failed to do is be inventive. Carpenter was able to perfectly use his influences from films like Psycho while being innovative, he did something new that hadn't been seen before. I want that to happen more, I want film-makers to actually create something new that can stand in it's own template, not keep remaking & reusing the same tired stories.

Quote:
And if you take away the original characters it's going to take a very skilled filmmaker to create their own world where you can care about/relate to the characters. Zombie didn't need to do anything special in his remake to have me care about Laurie. I already did going in. You see what I'm saying?
That makes no sense. The character doesn't have to be Laurie Strode for you to find her likable or care about her. That in itself falls down to good writing, & having a decent director at the helm of the project who can get the best out of the actors.

Zombie's H2 offered something new & fresh for the series, but because it's Rob Zombie, some people still try to nitpick & bitch at it. I want more of that, though. With these long running franchises, especially one such as this that has 10 movies under it's belt, you can't expect audiences to keep spending money to see the same shit.